+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    OP your cookies sound amazing, and a handful of plain corn chips? Seriously.

I loathe the food police.

So glad my centre provides food.

Our old centre didn't provide food, and in the 3 years we were there I think I got something sent home once. It was a teddy biscuit that I'd sent as a treat. They replaced it with an apple. Whatever.

Allergies of course are another thing entirely. Anyone who gets up in arms because they can't send a certain food due to allergies, is being selfish and annoying. Just take a little bit of extra time to keep other peoples babies safe.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (27-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (27-05-2014),PomPoms  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I think this stuff about restricting foods and shaming kids about what's in their lunch box is going to backfire catastrophically.
    My DS had a PP teacher that made a song and dance about what the kids had in their lunch box in front of the kids. My DS is very skinny and I would put in a plain (no frosting etc) or shortbread or pikelets in his lunch with his fruit and sandwhich. The teacher made him feel so bad he still refuses to have that sort of stuff in his lunch box.
    she on the other hand was very overweight and on a regular basis I saw her have a pie or freddo for lunch!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am so glad my centre provides school as I would be livid if they took some of my sons food and refused to give him a replacement.

I work hard to ensure he has a balanced meal with lots of fruit and veg but he will every now and then have some plain popcorn or a home made cake. That is entirely my business and I ma so sick of authorities who seem to think they know better than a parent (not Child cares but who ever monitiors them)

I agree if a child brought in chips, lollies, chocolates every day - then an intervention may be required but what you take it off them and give them nothing for the day??? Literally starve them instead of giving them sugar???

I agree with Fearless Leader - I think making junk food taboo will have negative effects when children get older. I remember a friend of mine was never allowed junkfood - at kids parties she would stand in front of the tables and just pig out....I mean wouldnt play the games or anything...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There are no free school dinners in Australia.

ETA - there are no school dinners at all. Most schools operate a canteen.
    Yes sorry I meant a canteen, not that it was free. That was the norm when I was growing up in the UK. Nobody really brought a packed lunch. When I was in high school I got lunch money and went to the shops to buy what I liked (which was not always a healthy option lol!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes, at my school we have that as well, even apples at recess but I've taught in uk where kw is from and I know what she was asking. In uk, they have cooks come in to all schools every day with big kitchens set aside for them to do all the cooking. Anyone on benefits gets free cooked 3 course meal pretty much. It's completely different to here. I'm pretty sure that's what she was asking, but could be wrong.
    Yep and those on low incomes didn't have to pay. No idea what happens now though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    My DS had a PP teacher that made a song and dance about what the kids had in their lunch box in front of the kids. My DS is very skinny and I would put in a plain (no frosting etc) or shortbread or pikelets in his lunch with his fruit and sandwhich. The teacher made him feel so bad he still refuses to have that sort of stuff in his lunch box.
    she on the other hand was very overweight and on a regular basis I saw her have a pie or freddo for lunch!
    That would make me so mad!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyway who are "they" to decide what is "healthy"? What one considers healthy might not be to another. I know someone who doesn't allow cheese because its high in salt, and yogurt because most are full of sugar, and ham because its a processed meat high in salt and whatever. These are things I would consider to be ok but my friend doesn't. I think if the lunch as a whole looks generally healthy then there shouldn't be a problem. A bit of common sense would be helpful.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I'm surprised by the no home baked goods.. My dd has various health issues and food intolerences so I try cook and bake at home as much as possible to avoid the hidden nasties in processed prepacked foods. Sometimes it seems no matter how hard you try you just can't win

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    Also I'm surprised by the no home baked goods.. My dd has various health issues and food intolerences so I try cook and bake at home as much as possible to avoid the hidden nasties in processed prepacked foods. Sometimes it seems no matter how hard you try you just can't win
    I don't think there is a ban on homemade food. That is plain stupid. It was that it had chocolate sprinkled on top. Chocolate is banned.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I don't think there is a ban on homemade food. That is plain stupid. It was that it had chocolate sprinkled on top. Chocolate is banned.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree, I was referring to a previous post re home baked goods.