+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There are no free school dinners in Australia.

ETA - there are no school dinners at all. Most schools operate a canteen.
    There is actually. My friends daughter used to attend a school in a low socio economic area and they had a breakfast club and then the kids could get a roll or sandwich and make it up for themselves. All free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a parent to a child who has allergies I am glad they are so strict with food that parents send, if it keeps my son and other children who have allergies safe then I'm all for it. I think you either abide by their rules or take your child elsewhere I certainly wouldn't be demanding that you are the parent and your child will eat whatever you see fit as a pp suggested, rules are generally in place for a reason and not to just annoy parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    There is actually. My friends daughter used to attend a school in a low socio economic area and they had a breakfast club and then the kids could get a roll or sandwich and make it up for themselves. All free.
    Yes, at my school we have that as well, even apples at recess but I've taught in uk where kw is from and I know what she was asking. In uk, they have cooks come in to all schools every day with big kitchens set aside for them to do all the cooking. Anyone on benefits gets free cooked 3 course meal pretty much. It's completely different to here. I'm pretty sure that's what she was asking, but could be wrong.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

kw123  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    No one is talking about allergy foods. I have zero concern with no nuts/eggs policy, it's there for children's safety. Period. We are talking about the controlling of food generally i.e. my pre school not allowing oat bars bc they are supposedly 'junk'. People are annoyed by what they feel is an overstepping of boundaries.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-05-2014),just her chameleon  (29-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (27-05-2014),MissMuppet  (29-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (27-05-2014),PomPoms  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels4me View Post
    As a parent to a child who has allergies I am glad they are so strict with food that parents send, if it keeps my son and other children who have allergies safe then I'm all for it. I think you either abide by their rules or take your child elsewhere I certainly wouldn't be demanding that you are the parent and your child will eat whatever you see fit as a pp suggested, rules are generally in place for a reason and not to just annoy parents.
    I never once said that I would send food if there was a child with allergies that could be affected. I made a point of asking the school before DD even attended if there were any allergies i needed to be aware of.

This is a totally different situation then that of the OP. She did not get told not to supply the food because there was a possible allergy issue. She was told that it was not healthy. Apples and oranges.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (29-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (27-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (27-05-2014),PomPoms  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels4me View Post
    Yes for allergies. Everybody wants all the kids safe.

This should also extend to kids with serve aversion to foods. They should be allowed to have the few foods they can eat.
    Some rules are just to make carers life easier.

@Zombieeyes next time you talk to school/daycare I would liken his up and go to pedisure or another meal replacement because that is what it is. Get your Dr to write a letter saying it must be available to him. They can't go against medical advice.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

bpac  (27-05-2014),PomPoms  (27-05-2014),Tamtam  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    [QUO TE=Angels4me;7791886]As a parent to a child who has allergies I am glad they are so strict with food that parents send, if it keeps my son and other children who have allergies safe then I'm all for it. I think you either abide by their rules or take your child elsewhere I certainly wouldn't be demanding that you are the parent and your child will eat whatever you see fit as a pp suggested, rules are generally in place for a reason and not to just annoy parents.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you in terms of allergy foods, but I think you're missing the point of this thread. It's not about bringing nuts/eggs etc, it's about healthy vs unhealthy foods in lunch boxes.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (27-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (27-05-2014),PomPoms  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bringing things like homemade goods can be risky as well so I see why they don't allow those. I was talking to a lady who runs parenting programs and playgroups at a community centre and she told me she sends her daughter to daycare with homemade biscuits and cakes sometimes, she thought they were ok because they were healthy and had no nuts eggs etc but after doing this for a while it suddenly dawned on her one day that the flour she was using was almond flour. This would be an easy mistake to make cause most people are just looking for actual nuts but its a mistake that could have severe consequences for another child. So taking a home baked food off a child is understandable, if the child had a small amount of corn chips and an otherwise healthy lunchbox it might be a bit ott to take it off them but if all other kids can't bring a small pack of chips then they have to say no to corn chips as well. At the end of the day rules are rules and if somewhere has rules in place and you want to go there then you have to abide by them or go somewhere else where they have rules that you are happy with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the majority of people avoid bringing banned allergy foods to school e.g nuts.

Tonight we are having home made nuggets that use almond meal. The girls love having nuggets at school so I make enough for school first using panko crumbs. I don't think there are many parents (I don't know any) that send nuts etc to school or preschool when they have been banned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Allergies are a totally different ball game. I dont have any problem with that. Thats a safety issue. My kid taking one of the handful of foods he will actually eat and being told he cant have it - yea I'd have a huge problem with that. The saying "well they won't starve themselves, they'll eat if they're hungry" does not extend to my DS2. He will starve himself.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

bpac  (27-05-2014),PomPoms  (27-05-2014)