+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think there's any harm in trying. We have fruit break (crunch and sip) at my school and it encourages kids who normally wouldn't eat fruit or vege sticks to bring something healthy in and eat it. At least they're getting something nutritionally sound that they would never get otherwise.
    We have that in the younger years at my DDs school. It was frustrating though as it was mandatory and the fruit or carrot that I sent came home every single day uneaten. It was such a waste. My children have one or two servings of fruit each day and it is at afternoon tea. They will eat as much fruit as you can give them to as long as it is straight out of the fridge.

When they went to after school care they ate the fruit there as it was brought out of the fridge to the table to be eaten. Hence I don't pack fruit in their lunch box at all (bad parenting I know ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD's Preschool only asks that you do not bring any food with nuts in it, apart from that they just write a little mention in the fortnightly newsletter to please not send any lollies, chocolate milk, or cake, but if you were to, they would allow your child to eat it.

When we lived in NSW, I sent one of my daughter's with some air popped pop corn I had made, as they were having a 'movie day'. That night when I was un-packing her lunch box I noticed the popcorn had been returned and had 'NO POPCORN' written in a Nikko pen across the little lunch bag. I was immediately embarrassed, wondering if they thought I had packed 'junk food' etc, etc. I thought I was doing a nice treat as it was their movie day and being that it was air popped etc, wasn't 'junk' food as such.

A week later the newsletter came out asking that parents do not send popcorn or corn chips to Preschool as it's a choking hazard. If only they had had the decency to write me a little courtesy note to tell me that, or stipulate it at the start of the year as opposed to sending it back in the lunch box with the abrupt message that they did. So I guess OP, it is something some do and some don't, but I agree that everything should be a 'guideline' not an absolute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I actually detest the fact that any institution can tell parents what to feed their children. It makes me really mad. If they're not providing nutritional food themselves, then IMO all they should be able to do is offer guidelines. I don't think it's anyone else's god damned business what I feed my kids.
    I think this stuff about restricting foods and shaming kids about what's in their lunch box is going to backfire catastrophically.
    I completely and utterly agree. So well said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP - I would just continue to send what you are already sending. If they raise it again, tell them politely but firmly that you will be the one that decides what your children eat.

I am sure that they will back off. And for the record I don't think plain corn chips are the worst thing you could be sending at all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly, I think no. I am a school teacher and I promote healthy eating as much as possible. However, I do not think I have ANY right to tell a child and family what is healthy and what isn't.

I actually see food choice as a parenting issue and not a teaching issue. Yes I can guide those choices through education and discussion in the classroom but beyond that, I believe the parent makes the choice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (27-05-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    And I know of married mums who are the same. All the single mums I know actually manage very well.
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to stereotype, just giving an example of someone very time poor who would find it difficult.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (27-05-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think there's any harm in trying. We have fruit break (crunch and sip) at my school and it encourages kids who normally wouldn't eat fruit or vege sticks to bring something healthy in and eat it. At least they're getting something nutritionally sound that they would never get otherwise.
    I think encouraging fruit break and teaching kids how to grow and cook food is a wonderful thing. It's teachers having to police parenting that really bothers me. Especially when it's as rigid as the current guidelines seem to be. I think scenarios like the OP mentioned will actually be very very harmful, because they're teaching kids that some food is forbidden, and you should be ashamed to eat it and ashamed of your parents for sending it. What sort of message is that??

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-05-2014),Chippa  (27-05-2014),delirium  (27-05-2014),Mama Mirabelle  (27-05-2014),MissMuppet  (29-05-2014),Purple Lily  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Because they don't want to be responsible to ensure 30 kids put their milk back in the fridge so it stays at a safe temperature, they only have a bar sized fridge in the classroom for food that needs to be refrigerated and don't want 30 milk serves in there! I can see where they are coming from but they make no exception for any child (even mine with severe food aversions) because other parents kick up a stink if they see one child is allowed something.

With the egg replacer, we were given a giant list of egg and other ingredients that are 'egg-like' that arent allowed. I'll hafto check if they Match up. *fingers crossed*
    You can also use soaked chia seeds as an egg substitute

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    You can also use soaked chia seeds as an egg substitute
    Does this work in everything? In cakes or cheesecakes etc for example.

I have a packet of chia seeds in the cupboard that I make puddings with but haven't tried it as an egg subsitute

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    Does this work in everything? In cakes or cheesecakes etc for example.

I have a packet of chia seeds in the cupboard that I make puddings with but haven't tried it as an egg subsitute
    Yup. Here's a basic how-to:
    http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-make...te-chia-seeds/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (27-05-2014)