+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is this pre-school food-police a state or a national thing? At DD's kinder (in Victoria) they ask us to pack healthy food but they would never take food away from the child.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

penny92  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Do you have even the smallest idea of how impossibly hard it is for some parents to make 'good food choices' for their kids? Really really effing hard. I know single mums trying their hardest to bring up their kids, keep a roof over their heads, feed them something they'll eat. No-ones taught them to cook from scratch. They are worn down and don't have the energy to home bake lovely treats, or even probably to fight too hard to get their kids to eat a decent serve of veggies. Sure, there are some parents who just don't care. But for every one of those there would be 10 more who were mortified and shamed that the lunch they packed wasn't good enough. And just imagine what it must be like for those kids going into class every day, to have their lunch taken away because their lunch isn't good enough. It's disgusting.
    No I don't have the smallest idea - I don't have school aged kids yet, I was just coming from the perspective of the kids whose parents don't care - the ones who send their kids to school with packets of chips every day , not because the kids are fussy and their mums don't try hard but because the kids are neglected - I just meant it would be nice to try help those kids

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't know any parent who does not want the best for their children; but unfortunately for some it's just not that simple- look at @Zombie_eyes situation, her child and many others should be taken into account when these rules are set in place, the world isn't black and white, all of our children are different and some have real, complex issues when it comes to food.
    I think it's a thoughtless rule, even though it was obviously set in place with the best intentions, it certainly needs to be flexible.
    Why not make a 3 to 1 rule, where children are *encouraged* to to have at least 3 healthy options in their lunch boxes (this might be a piece of fruit, piece of cheese/tub yoghurt etc and a sandwich) and also "allowed" a treat?

ETA = perfect example, the OP added that she ALSO packed a wrap, piece of fruit and rice cakes. But because of this one size fits all rule, her child's plain corn chips were confiscated? I think it's ridiculous.
    Had someone sent their child with an Easter egg and bag of lollies, every day, then I would agree that the teachers could maybe set up a meeting with a nutritionist and parent or similar, but to enforce the rule so unequivocally is wrong to me.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 27-05-2014 at 00:08.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    It's really really hard for us.
    Ds#2 barely eats anything the preschool allow. He takes the same food 3x a week every single week, jatz, cheese and a container of tuna. He used to eat my baked muffins and stuff but this year someone has an egg allergy so i cant make him anything anymore. He eats veggie chips but they wont allow it.

So difficult. He wont eat bread or fruit or anything so.. Argh. They wont let him have an up n go or any type of meal replacement drink either as they don't allow milk!

Then they constantly report that he often complains he is tired and really flat and hard to motivate to get off the floor.

Thats because he is consuming maybe 300 calories whilst there as he is so over the food i do send with him he only takes a few bites.
    You can bake muffins. Just get some orgran egg replacer. It has no flavour, just works as a binder. I'd suggest other egg replacer options but it sounds like your boy has some sensory issues with food so he may not like the alternative. If he likes banana muffins then it's as simple as adding in 1 extra teaspoon of baking powder and leaving the eggs out.

My child's pre-school had the government come and assess them to make sure that the kids are eating according to the guidelines. Mind you, the non nutritional crap that is apparently okay blows my mind. If I send a home baked good I put it in a paper bag with all the ingredients listed on the bag, because I've had food sent home before because they deemed it to 'look' unhealthy, when what they were looking at was far healthier than the processed rubbish in some of the other kids lunch boxes. It really bugged me.
    And then there's weeks like this week, where I don't have the time to bake something so grabbed a packet of flavoured Sakatas for the kids lunchboxes. They are getting fruit/vegies/rice cakes and either salad wraps or tuna salad sandwiches with a handful of sakatas but my youngest misses out incase they declare them too high in salt and don't let him eat them.

The government food regulations are ridiculous. It doesn't serve to educate families, it just shames them. And then as soon as they start school it is ridiculous. The only regulation is fruit for fruit break, but I know several kids in my kids' classes who simply don't have anything for fruit break, and then have a lunch box filled with donuts, chocolate dunkaroos, big bags of twisties to put on their white bread for their sandwich and a lollipop etc. That's the content of their lunch box every day. Even if the kid was eating a piece of fruit in class at 10am, it hardly cancels out the rest of the crap in the lunch box, nor does it help the child make healthy food choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people honestly don't know what's good food and bad food, I once overheard a dad tell his kids they couldn't have xyz cereal but to have nutragrain ( can't spell this early), I compared packets after they left and it was worse nutritionally.
    It's part of their role to educate, so please don't be offended.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    IMO if your child is in their care they can dictate what foods are not allowed.

ETA- I wish we could do this at my school I work at. Kids turn up with 1.25L bottles of cola for the day, massive packets of chips, fried chicken wings for breakfast instead of utilising the free breakfast club we have, and our canteen menu is shocking, it breaches the NSW healthy canteen strategy.

I did a lesson once using our canteen menu where the kids had to choose a healthy lunch and snack and they had no idea. It's sad.

Where I work, the kids would benefit from being restricted with foods they are allowed to bring to school. And I would love to get the canteen menu changed.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 27-05-2014 at 05:46.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (02-06-2014),Elijahs Mum  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do family day care and am horrified at the things some parents pack....rice wheels,potato stick, cheezels, Frankfurt, sliced processed cheese, muesli bars, roll ups. I do my best to avoid giving the child those things until all healthy foods are eaten. I've sent notes home, even ideas what to pack. My co ordinater said there is not much else I can do.

The corn chips....yes they are over the salt limit. But it's funny as a naturopath my other daughter sees for her eczema is big on salt. Eat salt, add it to food, eat sugar, add it to everything . And the difference it has made is unreal!

I have sent a list of ingredients with preschool dd things and still she had to take it home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I actually detest the fact that any institution can tell parents what to feed their children. It makes me really mad. If they're not providing nutritional food themselves, then IMO all they should be able to do is offer guidelines. I don't think it's anyone else's god damned business what I feed my kids.
    I think this stuff about restricting foods and shaming kids about what's in their lunch box is going to backfire catastrophically.
    Well said @FearlessLeader. I agree with you 100%

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's good have guidelines and send pamphlets/newsletters home on healthy lunch snacks etc. Have education nights etc. But schools have enough on their plate that teaching healthy eating to families should not be a major priority.
    I have taught kids who have brought day old whopper and fries for lunch. .yep. . cold burgers from take away. Same kids lollies etc. There's not a lot I can do except try and talk to the parents about healthier options. I wouldn't think it's my role to take the food away and let them go hungry.

OP I don't think they should be taking the food away. But letting you know about the guidelines is the right thing. .. a kiddie in preschool didn't pack their lunch so they should not be 'punished' food the food that was packed.

I know kindys/preschools have some pretty strict guidelines here in qld with foods. I dread the time when I send my DD who has a syndrome causing feeding difficulties/sensory issues. I make a lot of foods for her but she also eats things I'm sure most people would shake their heads about. And the teacher would surely confiscate. I will push to have the feeding issues written into her IEP plus her IFCP so there's documented evidence of her specific needs. For some kids. ..'unhealthy' food is good for them.
    It's just not a black and white issue.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they want to determine what your child eats then they should provide the food.

I actually was unaware many centres don't provide food/meals! DS's provide everything and provide the future menu's to parents.