+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If the op is still around would you be able to post your biscuit recipe? Sounds good with the carrot in it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

bpac  (27-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Originally Posted by FearlessLeader
    I know single mums trying their hardest to bring up their kids, keep a roof over their heads, feed them something they'll eat. No-ones taught them to cook from scratch. They are worn down and don't have the energy to home bake lovely treats, or even probably to fight too hard to get their kids to eat a decent serve of veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to stereotype, just giving an example of someone very time poor who would find it difficult.

And I didn't mean to pick on you - I just feel like whenever there is a welfare/low socioeconomic topic there are always single mums as the example - you said you know a number of single mums all struggling to feed kids and who have never been taught to cook. As a single mum whose not struggling and loves to cook from scratch and does manage to home bake treats, that's sad to hear. Maybe you could offer to teach them some simple recipes? I really enjoy passing on easy kid friendly recipes to other parents.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personal freedom to choose is all well and good but I think the whole point of these childhood interventions is because the rising consumption of calorie rich nutrition poor processed foods starting in childhood is the main contributor (in combination with sedentary lifestyle) to the current worsening epidemic of childhood obesity.

This in turn is exacerbating alarming weight gain and increasing rate of type 2 diabetes in young adults, who are currently already 6kg heavier on average than they were 20 years ago. The dire situation the health system is finding itself in has the potential to break medicare due to the increased need for dialysis due to renal failure secondary to diabetic nephropathy. This generation will be the first to die before their parents as far as lifespan is concerned.

Cardiovascular health for one had been shown to originate in utero. Children currently consume on average 30 grams of sugar a day when they should be getting 3grams per day. Diets high in sugar, salt and fat are known to contribute to multiple health problems in adulthood including cancers which are also increasing with the consumption of processed food. Hence the move towards banning softdrink and junk food in schools which I wholeheartedly support.

Government and private agencies can actually make rules to adhere to within their institutions if these interventions are focussed towards improving the health of those who attend them. This is especially so in a society where healthcare is also provided by the government. One can not expect the current epidemic of childhood obesity and self induced disease to be ignored on the one hand and then for the government to continue to foot the bill for all the associated health problems stemming from this. It's possible the real regulation should be done on a consumer level, and I really hope this happens soon, before what we have all feared for a decade happens and diabetes breaks the healthcare system.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butterfly39 For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (28-05-2014),NoteToSelf  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    If the op is still around would you be able to post your biscuit recipe? Sounds good with the carrot in it.
    Nothing exciting just a basic cookie recipe with using less sugar and grating a carrot into it. Dd flat out refuses to eat veges so I smuggle them in. Every night I put vege on her plate, every night she says ew yucky and takes them off

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ratbags View Post
    Dd flat out refuses to eat veges so I smuggle them in. Every night I put vege on her plate, every night she says ew yucky and takes them off
    I am so with you there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I actually detest the fact that any institution can tell parents what to feed their children. It makes me really mad. If they're not providing nutritional food themselves, then IMO all they should be able to do is offer guidelines. I don't think it's anyone else's god damned business what I feed my kids.
    I think this stuff about restricting foods and shaming kids about what's in their lunch box is going to backfire catastrophically.

Agree 100%.

& if they aren't supplying the food then they shouldn't get to have a say. & a full tummy is better than an empty one, always.

Plus "healthy" looks like a whole lot of different things for different people. My DS has an intolerance to fructose.....so in our case, Fruit is NOT the healthy option - if I gave him a pear he would be writhing in pain for days, chronic upset tummy, mood swings like you wouldn't Believe. Yet, the "chocolate cakes" I give him, made with grated zucchini & carrot, chia seeds & pure cacao, are a far healthier option, but to an outsider looking in they'd think I was a bad parent!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey'sMummy View Post
    Agree 100%.

& if they aren't supplying the food then they shouldn't get to have a say. & a full tummy is better than an empty one, always.

Plus "healthy" looks like a whole lot of different things for different people. My DS has an intolerance to fructose.....so in our case, Fruit is NOT the healthy option - if I gave him a pear he would be writhing in pain for days, chronic upset tummy, mood swings like you wouldn't Believe. Yet, the "chocolate cakes" I give him, made with grated zucchini & carrot, chia seeds & pure cacao, are a far healthier option, but to an outsider looking in they'd think I was a bad parent!

Can you post the recipe sounds yummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I loath the food police also as they are enforcing nutritional guidelines that are actually making kids fat. Skim milk, high carbs and low fat is doing nobody any favours. Your cookies are probably the healthiest thing on the table even with the chocolate sprinkles.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (29-05-2014),just her chameleon  (29-05-2014),lambjam  (30-05-2014),MrsBid  (29-05-2014),PomPoms  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    I loath the food police also as they are enforcing nutritional guidelines that are actually making kids fat. Skim milk, high carbs and low fat is doing nobody any favours. Your cookies are probably the healthiest thing on the table even with the chocolate sprinkles.
    100% agree with this!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It pains me that daycare feed my son low fat food and milk.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (30-05-2014)