+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do 11 month olds understand discipline?

My DS is 11.5 months. He is starting to respond to us a lot more recently and even follow simple directions (like "let go", "no biting", "put it down" etc). But if he's doing something he really wants to do, it is really hard to distract him. I've tried just saying no in a firm voice but the cheeky little bugger just shakes his head at me or else ignores me completely.

At the moment he likes climbing on the coffee table and he's so good at it that it only takes him about 3 seconds to get up there so I have to watch him constantly. I usually try to distract him with a more appropriate activity but he immediately gets up and heads back to the coffee table. Do I just have to keep putting up with it until he gets over it/grows out of it? Or is there something else I should be doing when he does stuff he shouldn't? I know he's not deliberately being naughty but it is exhausting He also loves pulling all the DVDs/his books off the shelf and throwing his food which is annoying too because I'm sick of cleaning up after him constantly.

So how do you deal with unwanted behaviours in babies? Is he too young to understand or is there some secret I don't know about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is 3 and I'm still trying to figure it out. We go with the flow. Not much discipline in this house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At that age all I did was move him away and say no. His thing was to pull the dvds out and I would be moving him away all day. He used to think the word no was funny so I was met with laughter a lot.

Sorry I'm not much help but just know you are not alone!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like you're doing the right thing, saying no/stop etc in a low firm voice, and distraction. Distraction is pretty much all you can do at this age, no discipline as such. You often need to physically distract them too after saying no, like if he's climbing constantly on the coffee table I would take him out of the room while giving him a tickle to distract, then take him to whereever you were planning on going next, like to the laundry to help with the washing etc.
    It's very repetitive, but if you are consistent they get it soon enough.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (26-05-2014),Purple Lily  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Distraction, repeatedly moving away and removing temptation are what I do.

It does pass, my DS1 used to climb onto the dining room table before he was 1yr old, we went without dining room table chairs for about 6 months.

My DS3 is a cheeky little ratbag, he turns the stereo up as much as possible, pulls the dvds and books out, tips things off the tables etc. I just distract if I have time, or just ignore if its not dangerous....I dont have enough timebor arms to be chasing him around all day long lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You have just described my 11.5 month old. He drops bits of food off his tray one by one, thinks it's hilarious! And books/dvds - OMFG, they're like a red rag to a bull just asking him to throw them all onto the floor.

Thankfully he hasn't worked out he can climb onto the coffee table yet, but he was fascinated with banging on the heater. I haven't been able to work out a way to fence it off without obstructing doorways or damaging walls (rental) but I stopped bothering saying "no" because it would just make him think it was a game. I ignore him (watching sideways to make sure he's safe) and he moves on very quickly now and is starting to lose interest in it.

He has learnt how to be gentle with the dog now and a few other things. That's just been through modelling/praising the correct behaviour. Perhaps lots of praise when he climbs back off the table?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Climbing, I let my DS2 do but have made sure to teach him how to get down safely.

Throwing food, I give him one chance and then take the food away.

Pulling out dvds/books (his latest favourite thing), I distract or move him on then clean up. Some days it works others it really doesn't and I have to put the books back 3-5 times :/

He has also just started to jump in the bath so as soon as he does it I say No and take him out even if he's only been in for a minute.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure about the other things. .. but the throwing food thing does my head in. This is what someone told me to do and although my DD doesn't really have any words it does seem to help.
    Every time she does it I pick it up and sort of guide it in her hand back to the table.
    I say 'food stays on the table DD'.
    repeat if necessary. And then if she's keeps doing this I say 'if you're finished you can give it to mummy' and open my hand or put the bowl there. I also use signs for some of the words. She'll sign 'finished' and stop throwing the food.
    DD would throw everything... even at the beginning of a meal. .. I can now see her thinking about it before she does it and she only does it if I walk away. . kind of like trying to get my attention.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (26-05-2014),Stepwise  (26-05-2014)