+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 15 week old is sleeping on his side!

My 15 week old son has started rolling onto his left side to sleep, and it makes me nervous. I have tried two rolled up towels on either side to keep him on his back, also tried tucking him in tightly and swaddling. Doesn't matter what I do because after every sleep I find him at the top of the bassinet, blanketless and on his side
    Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be moving him into a cot, if he's moving around that much. He'll have a bit more room.
    But, once they start moving into their own sleeping position it's fine to leave them like that. Still put him on his back but don't stress if he rolls over in his sleep. Also, don't put rolled up towels or anything else in there with him, it's not safe.
    A sleeping bag will help keep him warm if he's wiggling out of his blankets.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Savage Henry  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Has your 15 week old started rolling awake? If so, try not to worry, because if they adopt a new sleeping position after putting them on their back to sleep that should be fine. Ensure baby is not swaddled. A sleeping bag is a great idea to keep them warm while allowing mobility.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't swaddle if he's starting to roll, he needs to have his arms free in case he rolls on his stomach so he can push himself up to breath, turn his head, etc. he can't do that if his arms are wrapped.

My 15 week old isn't rolling yet but when I get him up he's done a 180 and is all over his cot. I started using a sleeping bag the first time I saw this, mittens on his hands because he still scratches himself. Sometimes I have to help him relax his arms because he's kind of between needing to be swaddled and not but overall I think he's sleeping better not swaddled at night.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much guys, good to know I can just let him do his thing - not that I was having any luck stopping him! He just seems so little to be on his side so it was worrying oh and we do use light sleeping bags with blankets on top. Maybe time to invest in warmer ones and forget the blankets...Also he can roll back to side and sometimes front to side, though not always