+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My 2yo has a persistent cough, feeling helpless :(

My DD has had this cough for about 2 months, or maybe more now. It comes & goes in severity but is generally worse at night. Sometimes crying & coughing herself sick. Started out as a cold/runny nose then went straight to her throat & chest. It's dry now but she coughs more when running around or crying. She's had a history of croup when younger. She is well & healthy otherwise.

Already been to Drs twice (different Drs) & have tried predmix, ventolin puffer in case of asthma. Predmix maybe helped a little but neither has made a huge difference.

I've made another Drs appt for Thursday as I'm just not happy with "its a virus cold" type of answer. Something is not right, this isn't normal surely?

Has anyone else experienced similar? What should I be asking the Dr to get answers - does she need a chest xray? antibiotics? Blood test? Allergy test? a paediatric referral?

Totally at a loss what to do & getting a little concerned here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is she vaccinated? Whooping cough has been around lately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes she's had all her vacs. It's not a whooping cough sound either.

Could she still have it even though she's vaccinated? Would this show up in a blood test?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure what age they lose the whooping sound but I know that four year olds don't whoop. Immunised children get a milder case but can definitely still catch it so worth checking out. It's diagnosed via a swab.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD had a whole winter of croup a couple of years back. She still gets a really persistent cough, particularly at night and when the weather changes. She has dust mite allergy too and the cough is pretty much caused by a post-nasal drip. When she starts coughing at night we start her on her nasal sprays (Avamys and Fess) and the cough pretty much goes within a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had croup a month ago and ever since dd just hasn't been able to shake her cough. It comes and goes in severity and is usually worse at night or in the cold air. Ive found keeping her in a warm moist room works best. Its usually too warm to put her heater on when she goes to sleep so I put her vaporiser on and then when I wake up around 2 am isn to go to the toilet (my bladder just isn't the same after kids) I turn the vaporiser off and her oil heater on and make sure she is tucked under her blankets still. I've been doing that around a week and a half and I've noticed its helped a great deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took a sound recording of her coughing tonight. If only I could work out how to attach it! Any ideas?
    It sounds very croupy to me. Not congested, but very barky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It might be whooping cough. The "whooping" noise isn't as prominent in older kids. I'd get her tested for price of mind...

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my DS was 2ish he had a really ongoing cough, coughed all night, every night, was sending me crazy. My very sensible GP told me it wasn't unusual, I had taken him back to her every couple of weeks for what felt like forever. If it goes on too long they start to think about asthma, can't remember the exact time period, maybe 3 months. Anyway, his cough cleared up just shy of that time period and hasn't had any problems since.
    He was vaxed and they tested for whooping cough, because he had episodes of coughing so much he threw up, but was all negative.
    Good Luck, is horrible when they cough all night.