+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I make what I call End of the Week soup...so it uses up all the veg I haven't used in the week. I guess its a bit like Minestrone but I don't put pasta or beans in (but you could )

In a big pot - fry up couple rashers bacon, add onion and plenty of garlic. Saute diced carrot, celery and whatever hardish veg you have. Throw in a couple tins of tomato, couple tins of water and a couple stock cubes. Bring to boil - add whatever other veg you have - usually zucchini, cabbage, capsicum, cauli, beans, peas etc. If I have basil in the garden I chuck some in. Cook till all soft. Sometimes I leave it chunky, otherwise I blend with a stick blender.
    So easy, and an awesome way to use the sad veges left in the fridge!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So many soups for me to try! Yum!

I make a really yum pumpkin one, sorry about the huge quantities but I have a massive pot and this freezes so well.

5 kilos jap/kent pumpkin chopped into wedges with skin on.
    2 kilos sweet potato unpeeled
    4 brown onions unpeeled
    2 whole heads of garlic unpeeled
    6 Granny Smith apples peeled and cored.

bake all of this with a good splash of olive oil and approx half a tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg until soft.

when cooked, peel and dump into a huge pot with 4 litres of chicken or veg stock. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 mins. Blitz with stick blender, stir in 100 mls thick cream. Serve hot with bread.. So yum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I made a yummy crab and sweet corn soup last night:

2 raw blue swimmer crabs
    4 fresh corn - cut off kernels
    Teaspoon grated ginger
    Teaspoon grated garlic
    white parts of 4 shallots finely diced
    green parts of 4 shallots finely diced
    1/3 cup shao sing wine ( Chinese cooking wine)
    2 litres of stock - I used 1 litre of crab stock and 1 litre vegetable stock
    Tablespoon of corn flour mixed with water to thicken
    2 egg whites

Sautée white shallot , ginger and garlic in large pan for a few minutes until soft, add wine and cook another few minutes , add all the stock and bring to boil then poach the crabs until cooked ( about ten mins) take out the crab , cool and then pick out all the flesh and set aside , add the fresh corn and all but a handful of green shallots and cook for 30 mins, season to taste, put the crab back in , add the corn flour and whisk in egg whites so they form thin ribbons , sprinkle the rest of the green shallots and serve!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I made a yummy crab and sweet corn soup last night:

2 raw blue swimmer crabs
    4 fresh corn - cut off kernels
    Teaspoon grated ginger
    Teaspoon grated garlic
    white parts of 4 shallots finely diced
    green parts of 4 shallots finely diced
    1/3 cup shao sing wine ( Chinese cooking wine)
    2 litres of stock - I used 1 litre of crab stock and 1 litre vegetable stock
    Tablespoon of corn flour mixed with water to thicken
    2 egg whites

Sautée white shallot , ginger and garlic in large pan for a few minutes until soft, add wine and cook another few minutes , add all the stock and bring to boil then poach the crabs until cooked ( about ten mins) take out the crab , cool and then pick out all the flesh and set aside , add the fresh corn and all but a handful of green shallots and cook for 30 mins, season to taste, put the crab back in , add the corn flour and whisk in egg whites so they form thin ribbons , sprinkle the rest of the green shallots and serve!

Sooooo for someone like me who doesn't like crab, chicken would do just as well there wouldn't it? With chicken stock in place of crab stock.. I can just taste those flavours, you've made my mouth water!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep - DH also prefers chicken ! Just use chicken stock and I poach a whole chicken breast - takes about 10 mins depending on the size, then just shred and add back in later

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

oozzle  (03-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I make a really nice and simple pumpkin soup:

Chop-
    1 large butternut pumpkin or 2 if they're small
    5 or 6 carrots
    1 large sweet potato
    (You can add other vegetables to increase the nutrients but I try to stick to root vegetables and simplicity)

Put all veggies in a large pot and bring to the boil using 1litre of vegetable stock, chicken is also nice, the liquid might not seem enough but once it starts cooking all the veggies break down. Once the vegetables are extremely soft either mash or use a stick blender to make it look like soup lol if it seems to thick, boil some water and add littles bits at a time to get the perfect consistency. Before serving add 300ml of cream and serve.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just made a pot of soup today which is so yum and so easy!

Spiced Moroccan Tomato and Red Lentil....

1 onion
    Olive oil
    1 Tsp ginger
    1 Tsp ground coriander
    1 Tsp Cummin
    1 Tsp paprika
    1/2 Tsp pepper
    1/2 Tsp cinnamon
    1/2 Tsp turmeric
    1/4 Tsp chilli powder (optional)
    1/4 Tsp nutmeg
    750 Mls chicken stock
    100g red lentils
    2 x tins tomatos
    1/2 cup coriander

-Fry onion in oil
    -Add all spices and cool for 1 min
    -Add everything else and cook 20mins
    -Top with coriander before serving

Enjoy!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamCarts For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (03-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I tend to cook by look and feel (I'm Italian hehe!) but...

Potato and Leek.
    1 Decent sized brown onion, diced.
    2-3 Cloves of garlic, crushed.
    2 leeks, washed well and sliced
    4 or so medium to large potatoes, diced.
    A couple of stalks of celery, chopped (can be omitted)
    Olive oil.
    Cream ..if feeling naughty.

Put your olive oil in a large pot and add onions, garlic (celery if using) and leeks and saute on medium heat until soft - you only want a lightly golden colour on the veg, so lower the heat if you need to.

Add the potatoes and give a quick stir, then add 1.5 (approx) of liquid - chicken stock, vegie stock, water and bring it to the boil.

Turn it down to a simmer and let it cook for ten to twenty minutes or more, until the veg is soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste and when you're happy with the flavour, blitz it - I use a stick blender but whatever - you could leave it chunky if you like. I then stir in the cream and warm it on the heat again if necessary but don't let it boil or the cream will split.

The cauliflower one is very similar but one onion, a couple of garlic cloves, one good leek, a couple of good sized spuds, half a cauliflower and about 200g of bacon.

Fry of bacon that you've dice quite small and remove half and drain on paper towel. Add onion, garlic and leeks to the pan and cook until lightly golden and soft. Add potatoes (diced) and cauliflower (chopped) and about six cups of chicken stock or veg stock and let it simmer away until the veges are soft, then whiz, add some cream if you like and serve with the remaining bacon scattered on top and some crusty bread.

Both soups don't have a great colour but they taste nice!
    I did a similar soup the other day. I used Cauliflower, potato and leek. I also sauteed the leek with some olive oil and garlic and some fresh thyme. Then added potato, cauliflower and stock and simmered until soft. Blended with stick blender. Topped with a swirl of cream and DH and I also sprinkled blue cheese on top of ours. It was a gorgeous winter soup with sourdough rolls and fresh butter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm hopeless at cooking but have a fail proof easy pumpkin soup recipe I use.

2 Butternut pumpkins
    1 onion
    1 1/2 cups of vege stock
    Cream

Just dice the pumpkin and onion, put in slow cooker with stock for 4 hours on high, 8 on low. When finished , purée and add some cream through it. Salt and pepper to taste

It's not fancy, but it tastes fine and is quick and easy .