+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do I ask Teacher?

I am a little concerned about my grade five daughter's teachers nonchalant attitude towards reading set by the school. In year 4, at 9 years, she was tested on a level 13-15 years (this is in Qld) and was told by her then teacher that this was her level.

Her teacher this year has given all the students take home readers that are levels they were readeing in year 1. He gave my daughter a level 22. He told the parents not to be concerned about the level but just that their child is reading something at home. I question this logic. My daughter has only brought home 2 readers all year. She just doesn't bother, and why would you if it is that easy?

I like the school to set them home reading tasks because if I tell her she needs to read more she wont but if the teacher makes it part of her homework for the week she will. She is a B-A grade English student and I feel she really should be challenged more. Last year she was doing extension spelling and she always got 100%. This year she is only doing 10 words that are way to easy!

I'm wondering if teachers look at what is written on students previous reports or files to help them determine where they should be Re: readers, spelling etc? We are now almost half way through the year and he hasn't tested their reading ability yet. Is this normal?

I'm reluctant to question his authority as I have previously had a bad experience with a teacher a few years ago at the school and I don't want any more bad blood. Should I leave it or mention it via an email or at the mid year interview?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by heated; 26-05-2014 at 10:38.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I would talk to the teacher and just explain what you have here (about how to motivate her .. that if you ask her to read she wont, so you really need the teacher to set her reading).

Not in a way that implies the teacher is doing something wrong, but approach it in a manner of doing something specific to get the most out of your child.

Its hard to know what to do sometimes, especially if the teacher is a little prickly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is in year 4 and they have to read for 15 minutes each night on books of their own choosing. They then record the name of the book and the page numbers they have read. So at the moment she is going through the Dairy of a Wimpy Kid books.

That might be an option the teacher is open to. The readers in younger grades are really boring. Your daughter might be happier to read more if they are books she is interested in.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Level 22 is higher than 13-15!

Thanks
    Reviews
    BigRedV I mean level 13-15 years. After level 30 they move to 8 years and forward etc. So at the end of year 4 she was reading at a level approx. 4-6 years beyond age.

Thanks for advice. Yes, I think that his idea is that they should read what they want but then why send home these ridiculous low-level readers? I just don't feel confident rocking the boat but I think it's a tad strange that he hasn't even tested reading ability yet, no?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you mean level 13-15 PM readers? And now she's on 22 in year 5?

Either way I think it's worth a discussion. If your school communicates via email then email the teacher with your concerns asking for advice plus maybe asking for an appointment to come in and talk about it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    DD is a good reader - and always has been

since grade 1 she has always been able to simply read her own books. Reading what they enjoy fosters a love of reading, and encourages them to read more.

As she has always been above the class readers, the teachers have always just allowed her to choose books from the library, or read her own ... she just notes it in her reading journal what books etc.

If she is already advanced, I would just let her read whatever she wants. As long as she is reading, all is good

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In relation to the level I mean that she is now in year 5 and the teacher has given her a level 22 to take home.

In year 4, when she was 9 years old, she was tested at 13-15 year old level for reading and comprehension. Essentially what this means to me is that she was reading at approx. 4- 6 years beyond her age. She was reading a level 22 back in year 1.

I guess I will have to mention it at some point to the teacher. One problem is that he already got cross at another little girl in the class who mentioned her reader was to easy and that she needed a harder one.

Again, the trouble is with leaving her just to read for the love of it is that she doesn't read or will read stuff that is really way below her capabilities, and doesn't challenge her in any way. However, she is keen to please her teachers and always does homework so that is why I would prefer he set her reading as homework - preferably a title/book that suited her ability - and perhaps gave her a fortnight in which to read it.

Also I feel it is perhaps a bit slack that he hasn't conducted any reading ability testing at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    Honestly, I wouldn't say anything

at that ability level, it's purely about getting them to read more ... Of whatever they want. If they like it, it's good. It doesn't matter what they are reading or what level it is. Getting them to read for pleasure is what it's all about.

I would set set her challenges yourself. Can you read 4 chapter books this week? If you do you get a star ....

go to your local library and borrow a series and set her challenge to read them all.

The he teachers job is to teach her how to read. It's your job to teach her to love it. And if she is already that far ahead, some schools and teachers do not do much to challenge them .... They spend more time on the kids that need more help. (Not saying that's right, just that it's the way that it is). So you need to do thing a to challenge her.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I find it odd that they are even using home readers in year 5? I'm in NSW, but once the kids reach level 30, which is the hope by end of yr 2, they stop and are put on independent reading. DD who is yr4 hasn't had a home reader since she was 6 lol

Speak to the teacher. Most are approachable and appreciate parents that want to work with them to improve outcomes. Let him know you would like her on books that better fit her ability. If you like it being set by the teacher, have him choose a novel for her which she reads a bit of each night.