+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heated View Post
    if she does not have a learning disability and is consistently doing poorly, doesn't know her addition/subtraction or her times tables I blame that on the teaching methods of the school and a thing called spiral maths where a concept is introduced briefly but never given time for consolidation.
    Sorry, but a child does not need a learning disability to grasp a new concept slower than their age-peers. All children develop at different rates, for some you cannot push their 'light bulb' moments to happen any sooner, but a range of strategies will give them the best opportunity to gain an understanding of the concept in a way that works for them.

OP, I value education (I'm a teacher, so I jolly well should!) and this attitude will of course be evident to my children. My daughter is only in year 1, so not quite what you are after. I expect her to do her best and not be scared to make mistakes - to have a go - be it with academics, sport, or socially.

More than anything though, it is important that my children enjoy school and I hope to foster a lasting love of learning. I value this much more highly over quantifiable achievements such as grades. So at home I make sure she has the resources to pursue her own areas of interest as well as completing set homework tasks. We always spend time talking about what was fun at school today.

Of course, like any parent, my chest swells with pride that she's in the top reading group or when she gets a certificate, but it makes me so much happier when I catch her under the doona with a torch and a book because she just wants to keep reading.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (28-05-2014),PomPoms  (28-05-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (28-05-2014),Sonja  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I expect my kids to try. I expect different things of each child.

High expectations on a child that doesn't have ability to for fill them can be soul crushing and cause more problems and cause a child not to want to learn.

If My dd1 got anything under a A, there was something wrong and I needed to looking into things.

IF my ds1 gets a C it is time to celebrate. And I do mean celebrate.

Dd2 is another A and b child.

Dd3 is a b and c child.

Ds2 we are still working out where he stands and when he is putting 100 % or not.

During yr 11 and 12 we took the attitude that dd need a fluffy subject. A subject she just took because she enjoyed. It was also the subject that if something had to give it was it.
    I honestly believe no one can do 100 % everyday in every subject. That you do your best you can if you get a D or a A+ do sent really matter I will celebrate with you.

Not everyone will end up at uni and that's okay. I will help you be the best 'you' you can be.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 28-05-2014 at 19:53.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (28-05-2014),PomPoms  (28-05-2014),Stretched  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've only got one in school, my expectations are not that high. It's her first year of school and I want her to enjoy it, not stress about anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Okay, DD does not have any learning disabilities. Maths seems to be the area she finds difficult. Her sister struggles with reading but Maths is her strong point.

She is student of the week this week for the extra work she has put into maths which is paying off. She is driven to improve her maths, may not help that she got teased this week for not knowing 8x8 by some of the girls in her class.

I expect her to do her best. I don't give rewards for school work or marks, I want her reward to be the achievement itself. Although I am planning on rewarding her maths mark in her report if she gets a C as we are expecting a D at best and I haven't been made aware how much her marks have improved just that they have. She has no idea about my plan though.

I don't expect her to go to university, although I think it would be great. I don't expect her to know what she wants to do for the rest of her life (I didn't) at the end of her schooling.

I guess at the moment (in year 4) my expectations are
    - do your best in everything, even if you don't really like it at least try.
    - do the set homework within the given timeframe, unless there is a really good reason that it is not done. I refuse to write her a letter excusing her, if she has been lazy. The 'punishment' for unfinished homework is her consequence.
    - Ask for help if you are having trouble understanding something.
    - Read daily, even if it is a comic.
    - I expect her behaviour to be excellent.
    - Have fun and be happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a bit concerned that high expectations can lead to disappointment. Also, shouldn't kids learn because they want to, not because they're being paid to?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leahmaree For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (29-05-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I expect my ds#1 who is in year 4 to try his best. And he does, so i am happy.

If he was to fall behind significantly id get a tutor.

He's not a lazy child he does whats asked of him. We dont make homework a high priority tbh. He spends a considerable chunk of his life at school. Home time is to relax, have fun and be a kid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Leahmaree  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm of the opinion that life is full of disappointments and kids need to know how to handle those feelings.

As for other posters ideas on encouraging a love of learning, I also don't believe that children are necessarily intrinsically driven by a love of learning. Sure they are curious about things but that doesn't always translate to them automatically wanting to put in the hard yards (sometimes boring stuff) that they need in order to fully grasp a subject.