+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At the end of the day, some people have to do the jobs that no one else wants to, those jobs are generally poorly paid. Not everyone is going to be able to obtain a law degree, I agree that people should save for long term security, but that ins't always possible, people get divorced, suffer illness, mental issues whatever, that may put a dent in the old savings plan. You talk about pensioners as if they are a bug on your shoe, imply that they are bludgers and not smart, that just isn't cool.

Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    I agree with u also.... Because they are smart and worked hard and have a plan they should be punished because people who never thought ahead just thought someone else would pick up the slack. What if the ppl requiring the assistance blew all their money on partying and travelling where as the others went without so they could provide later

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

chickenfoot83  (26-05-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think it should be means tested though - my in laws get all the pensioner discounts and they are self funded retirees and are loaded - but as soon as they turned 65 they got a letter saying their rego was now free , their rates are reduced plus a few more discounts that they really don't need - this money should go to the pensioners that really do need it
    I think that's a very altruistic attitude.

Im in two minds. While I think it makes economical sense, I do think that retirees no matter who they are deserve a bit of a financial break in retirement. At the ageing years of ones life we should all be equal and means testing older people doesn't sit tight with me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    How do they get pensioner discounts if they aren't on a pension?

Do seniors automatically qualify at a certain age? If so it absolutely should be means tested.

My parents have a Qld Government seniors card because they are over 55. The card gives them discounted public transport and movie tickets. I seriously doubt they get discounted rego or pensioner discounts with it though. They definitely don't need it as they are quite well off.

Donning my flame suit with this - but I think that if any government assistance has to go, it should be the First Home Buyers Grant. When it was introduced in 1999/2000? house prices skyrocketed overnight because everyone could suddenly afford to pay $70k more for a house. Quite counterproductive really.
    Yep as soon as they hit. 65 they get seniors discounts and are classified as "pensioners"

The first home buyers grant has been abolished for years in NSW - it's only around for new house and land packages now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2maisie View Post
    I never said I was freaking out about the "budget crisis".
    Oh sorry, I must have you confused with someone else, I thought that you were defending the budget at the beginning of the thread, saying it wasn't that bad and that we needed to get the country out of debt?? Sorry if I have you confused with someone else.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (26-05-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Oh sorry, I must have you confused with someone else, I thought that you were defending the budget at the beginning of the thread, saying it wasn't that bad and that we needed to get the country out of debt?? Sorry if I have you confused with someone else.
    Sorry.
    I thought that too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 26-05-2014 at 18:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I understand that those with lots of super feel they are being scr*wed over, but really, when you have 800k in super, is 300 a year off rego going to make much difference to you? A family member of mine married a very rich person, and since then is all pro lib. They complained to me how neither of them will get the pension....... they are worth at least 2 million dollars NOW, and with super it would probably be 3 mill.

People with small to medium super aren't all partying and travelling all their lives lol, there are so many scenarios I can think of why this may be the case. Working hard in a low pay job, being a SAHM, having a genuine disability or raising kids into adulthood with disabilities. Having to draw on super from being unemployed and being ready to default on your mortgage which drains your funds for later. Super funds taking a dive (my dad who will only have a very modest super lost tens of thousands about 6 years back, as did many).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you go back I never said that..I am a labor voter..I do not believe we are in a debt crisis so please do not put words into my mouth that were never spoken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    At the end of the day, some people have to do the jobs that no one else wants to, those jobs are generally poorly paid. Not everyone is going to be able to obtain a law degree, I agree that people should save for long term security, but that ins't always possible, people get divorced, suffer illness, mental issues whatever, that may put a dent in the old savings plan. You talk about pensioners as if they are a bug on your shoe, imply that they are bludgers and not smart, that just isn't cool.
    I just think a lot of people on here are the ones crying for assistance yet they ****ed away their 20-30s partying and holidaying overseas not thinking about the future. I see the countless threads where they say how amazing it was and then in yeh next breath ask for a hand.... Then there are people that miss out on partyg and holidaying and travelling to scrimp and save every dime.. Get a pittance from the govt to help support their family or anything else. I'm not just talking about pensioners... I get some people require help such as carers and bad things happen to people but they are minority..., when we were close to broke we got zip from the govt we struggled.... And we both worked full time, sent kids to child care and poured thousands down the drain to do so just to get by.

I know people who have mental illness my husband has it and doesn't work because of it because he would probably kill himself from the stress... That's not an over reaction. That's the truth... Do u know ow much money we get ATM none zip..... Even when we were struggling because according to ppl on here we don't need it because I earn good money... Tell me that when there is one person working with 2 children a husband who is sick and e endless amount of bills...

You know what u can say whatever you like say I live in the clouds but you know what I don't. I live in the real world where guess what life is hard. Someone isn't always there to catch u when you fall... The assistance being given is never guaranteed..... Especially if u under estimate then u have a debt to pay back also.... But then again I bet that debts the govts fault because they didn't just let it go...

Not everything is right with the budget but honestly people need to stop whinging about not getting enough money for this or enough money for that... MOST PEOPLE STRUGGLE!

As for he Aps employees.... I have worked In their departments and the people who should be fired can't because of all the rules! They could be fired and let someone who genuinely wants the job and to do it well. Not just sit on their bums and do a half arsed job because they know they can. I have done a lot of work with many aps agencies and there are a lot of people throughout...

Beebs you have been the predominant writer in the thread and everyone who disagrees with u either needs to do unbiased research or needs to be of a certain position to know what they are talking about (eg having financial records of govt agencies) yet in the same breath you can say your right just because.... I bet u do t read any documents that would show liberal in a good light and if you did you would say whoever wrote it is biased... Or poisoned by the media.... Have you ever thought the stuff you read is biased... A you don't have all the right answers and heaven for bid you might be wrong.....

Everything vicpark says u shoot Down I agree with a lot of what she says in most threads actually... And there are others that say things like crankyold ow speaks out about first home buyers grant knowing people will probably slaughter her... Personally I think it should be kept because it promotes growth and also creates work for builders.... And I totally understand what she says when people took advantage for increasing prices or suddenly thinking they can afford things they can't....

I know a lot of people on here won't agree with me and you know what that's ok I don't agree with the chaplaincy program but I'm sure some people here would because of their religion and you know what THATS OK...... I'm not going to have a go at them or ask if they are stupid or insane.... Or their principals mean more than mine.

Everyone has different views, everyone comes to different conclusions and feels differently about things.

And you know what I'm a liberal supporter doesn't mean I'm brained washed, doesn't mean I believe everything they put in the paper, doesn't mean I'm stupid or my points of view have any less value than yours....

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

neza  (26-05-2014),Star Light  (26-05-2014),sweetpeamummy  (27-05-2014),VicPark  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    I just think a lot of people on here are the ones crying for assistance yet they ****ed away their 20-30s partying and holidaying overseas not thinking about the future. I see the countless threads where they say how amazing it was and then in yeh next breath ask for a hand.... Then there are people that miss out on partyg and holidaying and travelling to scrimp and save every dime.. Get a pittance from the govt to help support their family or anything else. I'm not just talking about pensioners... I get some people require help such as carers and bad things happen to people but they are minority..., when we were close to broke we got zip from the govt we struggled.... And we both worked full time, sent kids to child care and poured thousands down the drain to do so just to get by.
    That's a pretty big generalisation imo.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (26-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (26-05-2014),ourbradybunch  (27-05-2014),snowqu33n  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like what grooviechic has said..life is bloody hard..their are people out there who have worked their entire lives and scrimped and saved for their retirement. They are not as deserving as the people who never worked a day in their life? Or the people who have worked but never contributed to their super fund?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mum2maisie For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (26-05-2014),VicPark  (26-05-2014)