+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Well as parents we hope once our kids become adults that can look after themselves, but with the new changes to Newstart it creates genuine scenarios of a parent being stuck caring for their adult child.

Like this scenario - son is 20, has worked 2 years FT then the business goes under. He only gets 2 months credit, so has to wait 4 months for Newstart. He's going out every single day, cold calling, applying for every single job in the area. Nothing. He can't pay his rent and bills on zero money so moves home with mum who is divorced from his father. It's a rather unfortunate and crappy situation, but why should the mother be saddled with the cost of feeding and clothing their son? Parenting doesn't stop at 18.

Now I could understand if the son was just bludging his way through life, that his father may tell his mother, don't let him move in, you are enabling him. But in the scenario just given, what is she to do?
    Adding to this
    He just signed a 12 mth lease and can't get out of it to move home.
    Mum lives in another state so to move home will be quite expensive more than either party can afford.
    Now it's not just rent. It electricity and gas, water and phone, than their food to keep him alive.

Yes I have thought this out.
    It's very real to me. It is a very reality that it could happen to us.

While I am not a single mum. We are a single low income family with 5 other kids.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (27-05-2014),Izy  (19-06-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not sure if anyone answered the timing question, but the senate will vote the budget in its sitting week starting Jun 16.

Can't wait.

samilia is offline Our family is almost complete <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I was reading about this yesterday. Apparently if it's knocked back, the libs can bring back an amended version, I think 2 months later?, and the senate can vote again. I think at the point, when it's rejected again, the libs can call a DD. Although that's highly unlikely as they would clearly lose.

I'll see if I can find the article explaining it all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Thanks heaps for your reply. Yes that article would be really helpful if you can find it again. I've been googling, but google doesn't seem to like that search lol.

Me 25 💑 DH 29
    👶🎀DD #1 -Born 30.11.08 💗
    👶🎀DD #2 -Born 28.03.11 💜
    👶🎀DD #3 - Due 17.09.14 💖

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by samilia View Post
    Thanks heaps for your reply. Yes that article would be really helpful if you can find it again. I've been googling, but google doesn't seem to like that search lol.

Me 25 💑 DH 29
    👶🎀DD #1 -Born 30.11.08 💗
    👶🎀DD #2 -Born 28.03.11 💜
    👶🎀DD #3 - Due 17.09.14 💖
    I edited and linked something explaining it all in my last post above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    Not sure if anyone answered the timing question, but the senate will vote the budget in its sitting week starting Jun 16.

Can't wait.
    Oh ok, and when is the senates decision made public/and official? Is it that same week?

Why can't you wait?

Me 25 💑 DH 29
    👶🎀DD #1 -Born 30.11.08 💗
    👶🎀DD #2 -Born 28.03.11 💜
    👶🎀DD #3 - Due 17.09.14 💖

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You can watch and listen to the senate sitting live so there is no wait as such.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I was reading about this yesterday. Apparently if it's knocked back, the libs can bring back an amended version, I think 2 months later?, and the senate can vote again. I think at the point, when it's rejected again, the libs can call a DD. Although that's highly unlikely as they would clearly lose.

I'll see if I can find the article explaining it all.

ETA: This pretty much explains it all.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/...athe.html#more

WOW! What a dragged out situation it can be if both (government and senate) keep pushing for there decision!!! I really hope they don't re-present the budget in 3 months time an drag us through this hell again! This budget proposal has brought ACTUAL anxiety to me! I just really don't want the the co-payment! It will really affect my low income family. so stressful

Oh, and thank you very much for all your help in finding that x

Me 25 💑 DH 29
    👶🎀DD #1 -Born 30.11.08 💗
    👶🎀DD #2 -Born 28.03.11 💜
    👶🎀DD #3 - Due 17.09.14 💖

9. The Following User Says Thank You to samilia For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Adding to this
    He just signed a 12 mth lease and can't get out of it to move home.
    Mum lives in another state so to move home will be quite expensive more than either party can afford.
    Now it's not just rent. It electricity and gas, water and phone, than their food to keep him alive.

Yes I have thought this out.
    It's very real to me. It is a very reality that it could happen to us.

While I am not a single mum. We are a single low income family with 5 other kids.
    Okay, please don't get me wrong, I am not in favour of this budget proposal at all, and my previous posts on this issue should have made that clear.

But if this budget stands to hit you and your family so badly, would you reconsider your stance on being a SAHM forever? If I remember correctly, you have said in the past, that you wish to continue to be a stay at home Mum, and have no intentions of entering the workforce. If this is correct, and in order for you to stay home like you want to, but at the same time somewhat rely on government benefits to do so, isn't that expecting just a little too much?

If this budget passes and it leaves you and your family much worse off, would you consider entering the workforce? And if you did enter the workforce, would you continue to work even if in, say 8 years time, the government welfare system changes and it would allow you to return home for the rest of your life, would you do so?

I'm purely just interested. I do find it hard to understand the reasoning of wanting to stay at home, even with grown children, instead of working, when you do somewhat rely on government assistance to do so. This isn't an attack on you, just merely trying to gain some understanding and wondering where you would draw the line and come to a compromise on your values

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Okay, please don't get me wrong, I am not in favour of this budget proposal at all, and my previous posts on this issue should have made that clear.

But if this budget stands to hit you and your family so badly, would you reconsider your stance on being a SAHM forever? If I remember correctly, you have said in the past, that you wish to continue to be a stay at home Mum, and have no intentions of entering the workforce. If this is correct, and in order for you to stay home like you want to, but at the same time somewhat rely on government benefits to do so, isn't that expecting just a little too much?

If this budget passes and it leaves you and your family much worse off, would you consider entering the workforce? And if you did enter the workforce, would you continue to work even if in, say 8 years time, the government welfare system changes and it would allow you to return home for the rest of your life, would you do so?

I'm purely just interested. I do find it hard to understand the reasoning of wanting to stay at home, even with grown children, instead of working, when you do somewhat rely on government assistance to do so. This isn't an attack on you, just merely trying to gain some understanding and wondering where you would draw the line and come to a compromise on your values

Of course I would do and have done in the past what I need to do to keep food in my kids mouths and a roof over their heads. While we can juggle things so we can afford for one of us to stay home we will.
    It is very important to us to have one parent home. That's why we sacrifice things other don't or won't. Getting or not getting Benefits will never define my values.
    When my kids are grown I won't be getting any benefits from the government. I don't get any special benefits that others don't.
    I just budget my *** off to work with what we do get.

Being a stay at home mum is not going to change the fact that my adult child could be in situation you quoted. Let's face if I did have a job it would be a low paying job as I am not qualified and I haven't worked in 18 years. So most of my pay would go into childcare. So not only could I still not help money wise but I couldn't just jump on a plane and help her when she needs it (yes I have done 3 times in the last year when she was incredibly sick)

We would be worse off atm if I had a job.

Edited to add...
    Dh often works away often and it sometimes on a very little to no notice.
    And I care for my elderly parents. Do all their appointments shopping banking etc...

So it's not just childcare that a issue.

Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 27-05-2014 at 18:29.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (27-05-2014),KaraB  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lets not forget, that when you re enter the work force your CCR/CCB drops, I am going back to work in two weeks and our childcare will double from what it is now. That is all very well, but if you factor in travel expenses, childcare etc. We are going to be very slightly better off. I am ok with that, I am eager to re-enter the workforce, but I can completely understand why some people wouldn't in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Of course I would do and have done in the past what I need to do to keep food in my kids mouths and a roof over their heads. While we can juggle things so we can afford for one of us to stay home we will.
    It is very important to us to have one parent home. That's why we sacrifice things other don't or won't. Getting or not getting Benefits will never define my values.
    When my kids are grown I won't be getting any benefits from the government. I don't get any special benefits that others don't.
    I just budget my *** off to work with what we do get.

Being a stay at home mum is not going to change the fact that my adult child could be in situation you quoted. Let's face if I did have a job it would be a low paying job as I am not qualified and I haven't worked in 18 years. So most of my pay would go into childcare. So not only could I still not help money wise but I couldn't just jump on a plane and help her when she needs it (yes I have done 3 times in the last year when she was incredibly sick)

We would be worse off atm if I had a job.