+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    http://www.theage.com.au/money/plann...527-390nq.html

Single parents with kids over 6 will not get FTB part B but will be eligible for a new supplement of $750 per child for kids between 6 + 12. But this is only payable if your income is under $48,000. if you earn $48,001 ... you get nothing.

where is the incentive for Single Parents to earn anything? To try and help get themselves out of the never ending cycle of poverty?

$750 is a far cry from the current rate of FTB B for a school age child (approx. $3000/year).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Bluebirdgirl  (27-05-2014),KaraB  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Well as parents we hope once our kids become adults that can look after themselves, but with the new changes to Newstart it creates genuine scenarios of a parent being stuck caring for their adult child.

Like this scenario - son is 20, has worked 2 years FT then the business goes under. He only gets 2 months credit, so has to wait 4 months for Newstart. He's going out every single day, cold calling, applying for every single job in the area. Nothing. He can't pay his rent and bills on zero money so moves home with mum who is divorced from his father. It's a rather unfortunate and crappy situation, but why should the mother be saddled with the cost of feeding and clothing their son? Parenting doesn't stop at 18.

Now I could understand if the son was just bludging his way through life, that his father may tell his mother, don't let him move in, you are enabling him. But in the scenario just given, what is she to do?
    Exactly what im getting at thanks for explaining the scenario better than i did.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Ok so u say things should be means tested correct?
    How is it my friend who could work had a job and quit cause she could.... And then went on benefits (no children) and she owns a house and rents it out... Deliberately cleared her bank accounts so she looked broke and went and lived with her dad... Oh but also claimed rent. Assistance...

Not everyone on the dole is unfortunate. Not everyone on the dole is hard done by... Yes there are some and unfortunately there are people who ruin it for them... The people who use it as an aid absolutely should get help. But the people who àre only using it so they can prolong going back to work because "I don't want to" or well the earths axis is slightly the wrong degree and the ice caps are melting then no... I do not feel sorry for those people and unfortunately I know a lot of these people.... I actually know more people frauding payments then people doing the right thing. The people who do do the right thing get nothing because r deemed not in need when they r broke
    Here's a nice statistic for you:

In 2012, approximately 13% of the Australian public (that's around 2,265,000 people) live below the poverty line. Did you also know that 30% of those people are working people, earning their own income.

Did you also know that those who live below the poverty line (or low SES generally), as a group, are more likely to:

Have an earlier rate of mortality
    Have higher rates or morbidity (chronic illness, obesity, be smokers etc)
    Are more likely to leave school early
    They have low participation in higher education
    They have a higher rate of unemployment or underemployment
    And are more likely to separate of divorce from their partners

So, with all that information, rather than blaming people for not working, or not trying hard enough, or not wanting to work, or crying 'dole bludger', perhaps you might want to think about why these things are happening?

Mental health plays a large role as does social class and social inequality being something that continues through families and generations. If you want the 'problem' to end, then you need to look at the causing factors, and I would hazard a guess and say that having a government unwilling to support those in need, to help them to better themselves and get out of these situations, then these 'problems' are only going to continue.

Did you also know, that in Nordic countries, their welfare systems tend to pay rather well, and yet they have relatively low unemployment rates. Why? Because their governments assure them that there will be jobs, their governments help them to find work, and until they do, they look after them well, so that they are still able to manage a decent standard of living. Are able to pay rent, utilities and buy groceries without having to stress about what bill is going to have to go to debt collectors so they can pay the rent and/or eat.

If you look after people in their time of need, they are less likely to become stressed, they are less likely to suffer mental health issues such as depression, and therefore they will be in a better position to be able to help themselves, and gain employment.

That's what a little government help can do. Government help for those in need does not as a whole, encourage people to be 'dole bludgers', that is nothing but a myth.
    Last edited by Lillynix; 27-05-2014 at 10:59.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-05-2014),beebs  (27-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (27-05-2014),delirium  (27-05-2014),Ellewood  (27-05-2014),fever head  (02-07-2014),HarvestMoon  (27-05-2014),Izy  (19-06-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-05-2014),snowqu33n  (27-05-2014),wrena  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Let's sell the budget to the unconvinced public by spending taxpayer dollars in an as campaign!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-0...mpaign/5480170

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Let's sell the budget to the unconvinced public by spending taxpayer dollars in an as campaign!

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-0...mpaign/5480170
    My eye was furiously twitching reading that. So now we are paying for these fools to 'sell' us a budget that is a disgrace?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-05-2014),BigRedV  (27-05-2014),KaraB  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingchipmunk View Post
    Maybe....would we have to provide our own hot water?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    We get free hot water, but I spose I do make sure that is safe for consumption

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-05-2014),Busy-Bee  (27-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if this has been addressed or.not, but with the Ftb b, as each child ages above 6 does it decrease, or do you still get the same amount until the last child gets 6?

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusMum View Post
    I don't know if this has been addressed or.not, but with the Ftb b, as each child ages above 6 does it decrease, or do you still get the same amount until the last child gets 6?

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Currently the rate decreases by about $50 when your youngest turns five.
    Under the changes Abbott wants to implement, you will receive ftb b until your youngest child turns 6, then it's completely cut off.

samilia is offline Our family is almost complete <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello all... I'm missed all the budget chat in here, but I have a question...

If the senate (greens, labour and Clive Palmer etc ) DON'T pass the $7 co-payment, does that mean it's "banished" forever, or can the LIBS bring it up again the next budget they have?...

Like if it doesn't get passed this time, can they try it again next time? What year is the next budget drawn up? Is it 2016? Sorry for the dumb question.

Me 25 💑 DH 29
    👶🎀DD #1 -Born 30.11.08 💗
    👶🎀DD #2 -Born 28.03.11 💜
    👶🎀DD #3 - Due 17.09.14 💖

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by samilia View Post
    Hello all... I'm missed all the budget chat in here, but I have a question...

If the senate (greens, labour and Clive Palmer etc ) DON'T pass the $7 co-payment, does that mean it's "banished" forever, or can the LIBS bring it up again the next budget they have?...

Like if it doesn't get passed this time, can they try it again next time? What year is the next budget drawn up? Is it 2016? Sorry for the dumb question.

Me 25 ������ DH 29
    ������������DD #1 -Born 30.11.08 ������
    ������������DD #2 -Born 28.03.11 ������
    ������������DD #3 - Due 17.09.14 ������
    I was reading about this yesterday. Apparently if it's knocked back, the libs can bring back an amended version, I think 2 months later?, and the senate can vote again. I think at the point, when it's rejected again, the libs can call a DD. Although that's highly unlikely as they would clearly lose.

I'll see if I can find the article explaining it all.

ETA: This pretty much explains it all.

• A bill must first pass the house and then be rejected, fail to pass or be unacceptably amended by the Senate.
    • After a period of three months, the bill may be re-presented to the House. After its passage through then House, if it is again rejected, fails to pass or is unacceptably amended by the Senate, then the legislation has become a 'trigger' for a double dissolution.
    • The Prime Minister may choose to use one or more triggers as ground for a double dissolution of both chambers followed by an election for the House and the whole Senate. This is not allowed to take place in the last six months of the House's term.
    • After the election the legislation must be presented to the new House, and after its passage, must be presented to the new Senate.
    • If the Senate again rejects, fails to pass or unacceptably amends the legislation, then the Prime Minister can request that the Governor-General summon a joint sitting of the two chambers sitting and voting as one on the legislation. At the joint sitting, a simple majority of those members and senators present can pass the legislation which is then signed into law by the Governor General. A legislative (as opposed to ceremonial) joint sitting cannot occur without a double dissolution election having first taken place, and no other legislation can be considered at a joint sitting.
    http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/...athe.html#more

Last edited by HarvestMoon; 27-05-2014 at 13:45.