+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When buying our house I didn't at the first inspection, but did at the second as I didn't want to invade anyone's property when I wasn't sure if I was serious or not but I totally agree you have to know what kind of storage you're looking at if this is a serious "I'm thinking of buying" viewing. I did ask the agent before doing so though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When we viewed I houses I looked in all built in storage - but I didn't take notice of what was in the cupboards, just condition, depth etc.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sellers must hate me!

I look into every cupboard, check the hinges and the fit, run all the taps to see if the pressure is good, flush the toilets, try the shower, hot water and then cold water separately, try all the light switches, flick all the power points on and off, open and close every door to check for fit and stability. Look into meter box to make sure wiring looks kosher and modern (fuses there etc)

Peer suspiciously behind things on the wall (often used to cover up holes and scrapes)

Move curtains aside to check there are no cracks down the walls (often shows at edges of windows etc)

Use a torch to look into the ceiling cavity, and underneath the house.

I totally channel my inner toddler! Fiddle with and open everything!!

It's buyer beware, and is one of the biggest financial transactions you will normally make in your life. You need as much info as you can possibly gather to make an informed decision.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 26-05-2014 at 09:36.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (26-05-2014),LaDiDah  (26-05-2014),Serenity Love  (26-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely, I open everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I expected prospective buyers to open cupboards, drawers, pantry. Anything storage related. We would have a chat with sellers so they would be aware that people would be looking through their storage spaces, most just brushed it off though as that's what they expected.

We did have some sellers that didn't clear out personal products but I never saw a prospective buyer bat an eye. They were more interested in the space, not the contents.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, but only if it's a house I am planning on putting an offer on. If I don't like the house I don't bother because then it's just pointless.
    I don't turn on taps or run showers or look behind pictures or anything like that. That's what building inspections are for, and these days you're actually protected by law and can make the previous owner fix it if you can prove that they knew about it (so no hot water in a shower they would definitely know about!).

Funny story, we lived in our own apartment for 18 months, never using the shower in the main bathroom. We moved out, and our tenants made a complaint to the real estate that there was no hot water in the main shower. It was a mistake made by the builders, so they came back and fixed it but not once in the 18 months that we lived there did any of us think to check if there was hot water in the main bathroom! We just used it as a guest bathroom, and not using the shower meant I only had to vacuum it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we sold our last house, most people looked in all of the cupboards (which I expected). I did hide all of our small valuables like iPods, jewellery etc though, because I'd heard of things being nicked from open homes before.

And whenever we've looked through places, I always look in cupboards. I do ask the agent first though and they've always said yes. We've lived in places with terrible storage, so I always like to have a good look and see if the wardrobes are shelved, or just have hanging space etc.

@MilkingMaid I check the fuse box too. A few years ago, we asked if the house had an electrical safety switch. The agent said yes, and it wasn't until we moved in that we discovered it didn't.
    I think they're now required by law in most states, but I still always check.
    Last edited by sky1; 26-05-2014 at 10:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    When we sold our last house, most people looked in all of the cupboards (which I expected). I did hide all of our small valuables like iPods, jewellery etc though, because I'd heard of things being nicked from open homes before.

And whenever we've looked through places, I always look in cupboards. I do ask the agent first though and they've always said yes. We've lived in places with terrible storage, so I always like to have a good look and see if the wardrobes are shelved, or just have hanging space etc.

@MilkingMaid I check the fuse box too. A few years ago, we asked if the house had an electrical safety switch. The agent said yes, and it wasn't until we moved in that we discovered it didn't.
    I think they're now required by law in most states, but I still always check.
    It's not a legal requirement that there be a safety switch fitted, but is actually on the contract for the buyer to declare whether there is one or not. The seller has to tick whether there is one or not and a false declaration either way can be grounds for the contract to fail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkingMaid View Post
    Sellers must hate me!

I look into every cupboard, check the hinges and the fit, run all the taps to see if the pressure is good, flush the toilets, try the shower, hot water and then cold water separately, try all the light switches, flick all the power points on and off, open and close every door to check for fit and stability. Look into meter box to make sure wiring looks kosher and modern (fuses there etc)

Peer suspiciously behind things on the wall (often used to cover up holes and scrapes)

Move curtains aside to check there are no cracks down the walls (often shows at edges of windows etc)

Use a torch to look into the ceiling cavity, and underneath the house.

I totally channel my inner toddler! Fiddle with and open everything!!

It's buyer beware, and is one of the biggest financial transactions you will normally make in your life. You need as much info as you can possibly gather to make an informed decision.
    Hehehe this gave me a giggle, and its so good you do that I wish we were that stringent when looking at houses for the very first time as by the time we took over this house, we learned that the dishwashers was stuffed so had to buy a new one, door handles needed replacing, and a few other minor but annoying things weren't working.

So once we're ready to start going to inspections ill be doing what you do! I like the idea of taking a torch and properly sussing it all out. Gold. Hahaha the sellers must be so intimidated when you're looking at their house!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spent 5 months househunting (whilst waiting for ours to sell)...and DD had just been toilet trained....I'm sure she stored her #2's until we got into an open house as she'd be jumping up and down holding her butt saying "its coming out nowwwww". So apart from opening and closing cupboards we also tested out plenty of loos!

I'm all for nosey'ing in cupboards, but PLEASE dont go flicking powerpoints on and off, the timers on my lights kept being reset by people who did that in our house ;o)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

JR03  (26-05-2014)