I love Bali been several times and never have I returned home from a holiday more relaxed.
Just remember that there is poverty and it can be quite confronting in the beginning and can be daunting with the smell, scooters, haggling etc...
once you get in the groove its amazing and can be any holiday you want: from massages and pool side with cocktails, to adventure white water rafting, jet skis and quad bikes.
-1st rule: DO NOT TELL THEM IT'S YOUR FIRST VISIT!!!
- if in doubt ask travellers in your hotel how much they payed for items your interested in.
- although there is plenty on western eateries don't be afraid to try Indonesian cuisine as long as its in a full restaurant with high customer turn over.
- Carrefour is a huge shop full of food etc... Especially helpful whilst travelling with children, but Matahari has a supermarket.
- take with you immodeum, hydrolite, suncream and basic first aid.
- if your scared to haggle look for fixed priced shops ( I have heard great things about Ketuts in garlic lane legian)
- blue bird taxis are fixed price but ensure the meter is on.
- if you choose to change your money on the street ALWAYS count again yourself, they can be very fast at hand!
Water bom park and safari are great fun!
Most importantly have fun!!! It sound more daunting than it is. We take our children and love it and feel safe.
Have a bintang or 2 for me!!