+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think at around 2.5 they start needing a bit more. I'm not saying that if you don't go they will suffer, just that I think my DD needs more than I can give her at home. She's been going to day care 3 days a week since 9 months old. She's now 2.5 and comes out with stuff I've never taught her, and would never think to teach her. We've had bad drop offs that have broken my heart, but now she runs off to play with her friends.

I live in the country too and care is a 20 minute drive away so it's time consuming sending her. But she does love it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Stepwise  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No I don't normally. I don't feel it adds anything to their lives that I don't already provide. I prefer yo leave the spaces for those that really need them.

I did for have dd2 in for 1 day a week as her pead recommended it for her due to asd. The other 5 didn't go.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 3 year old DS still hasn't attended child care, only play groups etc.

My DH is the primary carer and he doesn't feel he is ready to let him go. I on the other hand think it would be good for him, even if it's just one day a week.

Next year I'll be insisting he attends as he'll be four and I want him to get used to being in with other kids and having that learning atmosphere in preparation for school.

He won't be starting school until the year he turns six, so that gives him next year and the year after to experience child care, which gives him plenty of time to get used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    No I don't normally. I don't feel it adds anything to their lives that I don't already provide. I prefer yo leave the spaces for those that really need them.

I did for have dd2 in for 1 day a week as her pead recommended it for her due to asd. The other 5 didn't go.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yeah good point it is hard for working parents to get a spot. I didn't think of that. (For the record I am a working parent so won't be giving up my spot )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a 3 year old (and a baby) and she hasn't gone to daycare, although a few people seem to push the issue like I'm doing her a disservice. We go to playgroup once a week and socialize with other kids regularly. She's a social butterfly and doesn't seem to be missing out on anything with the learning side of things.
    I much prefer a preschool atmosphere and think it's important they go to preschool before school so will be sending her next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 16 months and won't be going to daycare. I guess everyone has a different opinion.. She's very social, loves other children and definatly gets a lot of playtime/learning time at home. As for preschool I'm still not sure if ill send her, we'll see. I didn't go to neither and other than a few tears first day at kindy I was selected as class captain for the year within the first week. My teacher also pulled up my mum to ask if I had gone to some special preschool/daycare as I knew a lot more than some other children in the class... From memory I just loved watching play school and learnt most from that. Now I'm not saying stick your kids in front of the tv instead I'm just telling you my story.
    It's really up to you don't feel your doing a disservice and only worry when you notice behavioral problems. Until them just enjoy them x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm lucky that we never needed day care and I was very against sending DS if we didn't need too and he's very sociable and independent

He did start 3 year old pre school this year 2 days a week ( 9-3pm ) and to be honest I'm regretting it!

I went back to work 2 days a week this year and even though mum would have gladly had him I sort of "caved" to everyone saying how kids need to go to pre school etc but I should have waited until next year - he's still independent and sociable but the crap he's learnt from the other kids annoys me!

It's only silly stuff but my caring/sharing little guy is so much more aggressive, rude, has heaps more attitude and says things like " your not my friend " , he used to love playing with his cousins baby dolls and toys but now everything is "boys can't play with dolls " he won't share like he used to and is more possessive of his stuff or other things that obviously he has picked up from the kids at pre school , I know this is probably normal but I blame pre school! The staff are great the kids seem great it's only small ( 20 kids) but I just hate the way he is influenced by it all!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (25-05-2014),LoCo  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS was on and off care in the last 4 years while I was working, but he didn't adapt well. Also, as someone who struggled to find care for DD when I desperately needed to go back to work, I can't put myself in the position of now taking someone else's spot who needs it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old and I won't be sending either of them until 4 year old kinder. We catch up with friends a couple of times a week, either at the park or at home. I have no issues with their social skills and as others have said why take up childcare spots when I'm fortunate enough to be able to stay home.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I don't use it. DS1 is 4 and has started preschool this year. He goes 2 days a week and before that had never been in child care. DS2 is 15 months and we are thinking we will start him at one day when he is 3 because I will need a break (he is much more high maintenance than DS1). Also I want him to be able to tell me about his day when he's not with me.

I love being able to be home with them and I think adult interactions are just as important for them as ones with their own age group. We go to playgroup every fortnight, have playdates and visit my grandparents twice a week.

Sent from my telecommunications device.