+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy

4yo DS has been booked in to have tonsils & adnoids out. It's all come about so quickly.

I am not sure about the surgeon. thought he would explain all the pros and cons of the op and I hadn't researched enough to ask any questions.

The surgeon just said they have to come out, go see my receptionist for next available date.

Others I have spoken since to have had sleep studies and recurrent bouts of tonsillitis, it's seems others have had much more done before the decision is made.

Our GP noted DS has a moderate - severe airway obstruction, snores, hypo nasal speech and bad sleeper. He also has had 4-5 lots of tonsillitis in his life, one ended up in pneumonia.

If I see another surgeon for a second opinion that's another $200- $300 and might have to wait longer for surgery and pay more up to $1000 for a sleep study.

My mum has put doubt in my mind whether they should come out. I don't know what to do now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had dds tonsils out at 4yo (was booked to get both out but once in surgery he decided adenoids were no problem).

She had large tonsils but they weren't obstructing her airway. She started at about 2 getting recurrent tonsillitis requiring long courses of antibiotics. She was getting ear infections as well which myself and the ENT believed were caused by the tonsils pushing up onto the tubes and blocking them.

It was the best thing we could have done. She's 6 now and has had about 3 colds since the surgery. Whereas every cold she caught used to turn into some sort of infection requiring ABs, now it just lasts a couple of days then back to normal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that if you're unsure you should either speak to the surgeon again to get the pros/cons of surgery, or seek a second opinion. We changed ENT for a similar reason (though he had already done one surgery on my DD) - I felt that he couldn't/wouldn't discuss issues with me and answer questions I had. I wasn't comfortable with my child having an operation when I wasn't sure about it and whether it was best for her.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're in Perth I can recommend our ENT (SOR).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    If you're in Perth I can recommend our ENT (SOR).
    Yes please I am in perth & SOR too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We saw Dr. MacKendrick. His rooms are in Fremantle. He was recommended by a friend (he did her 2yo's tonsilectomy) and definitely wasn't scalpel-happy, eg. he only wanted to do the surgery if necessary. I have heard of other doctors who just automatically put in grommets etc, but he was definitely happy to see if the tonsilectomy helped DD before doing that surgery despite how many ear infections she had had. I had the initial consult private ($300ish) but no PHI so he put DD on his public waitlist at Rockingham.

I hope this isn't who you saw already. If it was, then I would trust his judgement.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

baby4us  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, it wasn't him

Thanks for the info!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to baby4us For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 (3.5) has just had her 4th operation with Dr Vijayasekaran at Perth ENT Centre. He is known to be one of the top paediatric ENTs in Perth and we have found him to be fantastic. The anaesthetists he uses are great too.

I wouldn't rush in to have tonsils out to be honest. The recovery for our daughter was pretty intense but in saying that, it has made a difference to her health. Based on what your GP has noted it sounds like it may be needed though. You should be able to have a full discussion about it with your ENT and to feel entirely comfortable about the decision. Could you possibly have a follow-up phone consult?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are ever unsure of medical advice, get a second opinion.

As a child I had tonsils, grommets and adenoids out. Prior to that my mother said I practically lived on antibiotics and was crabby as all hell, so for me, they were a good solution to ongoing infections and illness.

some things just have to come out sometimes. A good example is an appendix, and cancerous tumours. Tonsils can end up nasty pus filled sacks of rotting meat, the surgeon apparently told my mother that by the time my parents could travel to a city to have them out, they were rotten and fell apart on contact. Gross.

good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnybambino View Post
    DD1 (3.5) has just had her 4th operation with Dr Vijayasekaran at Perth ENT Centre. He is known to be one of the top paediatric ENTs in Perth and we have found him to be fantastic. The anaesthetists he uses are great too.

I wouldn't rush in to have tonsils out to be honest. The recovery for our daughter was pretty intense but in saying that, it has made a difference to her health. Based on what your GP has noted it sounds like it may be needed though. You should be able to have a full discussion about it with your ENT and to feel entirely comfortable about the decision. Could you possibly have a follow-up phone consult?
    That's surprising as DD's recovery was quite easy. Waking up from surgery in pain was quite distressing for her but once they got her pain relief under control she was tucking into ice cream in no time! I gave her a week off kindy but she was good as gold in about 4-5 days. She had tonsils out only and cauterized, no stitches.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using The Bub Hub mobile app