+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You have to mitigate their losses.
    So you have to do all possible to find another tennant.
    It's Annoying but happens for many reasons.

Our tennants broke their lease as their child got cancer
    We broke ours as our marraige fell apart.

If you want to move in in a few weeks let them out ...

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss
    Still mummy to Agnes Ronald and Beryl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaJones View Post
    You have to mitigate their losses.
    So you have to do all possible to find another tennant.
    It's Annoying but happens for many reasons.

Our tennants broke their lease as their child got cancer
    We broke ours as our marraige fell apart.

If you want to move in in a few weeks let them out ...

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss
    They just wanted to move a few blocks away to be closer to the school I think. Nothing as horrible as those scenarios

Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
    You do not have to allow them to break the lease. You can say that you will not allow to break the lease. It has to be mutually agreed upon.
    Wish I knew that before, we were given the impression we didn't have a choice. We were told they're moving out this date and they must pay rent until end of lease or new tenants are found.

I think the agent is just going to try and push anyone on us we've never allowed pets ( from day dot, we have several emails stating this and all previous leases have specifically said no pets, if memory serves me correct these tenants even wanted a dog and we said no ). Well we got an application tonight and applicant has a dog ( on site manager so works odd hours)
    We have said no, so another question is this now considered reasonable reason to reject?
    I know she needs to present us with applications but come on. We have made it clear every lease for the past few years, and said no when special requests were made.
    Ps before making assumption we're mean landlords it's only a little place with practically no yard so not fair on the animal and we don't want the risk of damage/ smells with pets

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    They just wanted to move a few blocks away to be closer to the school I think. Nothing as horrible as those scenarios

Wish I knew that before, we were given the impression we didn't have a choice. We were told they're moving out this date and they must pay rent until end of lease or new tenants are found.

I think the agent is just going to try and push anyone on us we've never allowed pets ( from day dot, we have several emails stating this and all previous leases have specifically said no pets, if memory serves me correct these tenants even wanted a dog and we said no ). Well we got an application tonight and applicant has a dog ( on site manager so works odd hours)
    We have said no, so another question is this now considered reasonable reason to reject?
    I know she needs to present us with applications but come on. We have made it clear every lease for the past few years, and said no when special requests were made.
    Ps before making assumption we're mean landlords it's only a little place with practically no yard so not fair on the animal and we don't want the risk of damage/ smells with pets
    Yes you can should be able to refuse based on pets. The agent should list the property as 'No pets'. We have cats so dont waste time going to properties or applying for places that state no pets - its very frustrating when they dont list it! We dont want to waste anyone's time. You dont need to justify why you dont want pets - you own the place & people should respect that.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
    You do not have to allow them to break the lease. You can say that you will not allow to break the lease. It has to be mutually agreed upon.
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    This is not 100% correct. It has to be mutually agreed upon to end a fixed term tenancy agreement prior to the expiry WITHOUT penalty.

They can vacate prior to the end of a fixed term lease without it being mutually agreed upon, they just have to pay rent until a new tenant moves in and compensation to the owner (ie. Any reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred in the reletting process) which is what is happening in this situation.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Can someone tell what the real estate has to do for it to be reasonable effort. Is just listing on real estate.com enough?

Dd needs to break her and her real estate reckons it will take 4 months to get new tenants. That over 8 k in rent for a place she won't be living in.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Can someone tell what the real estate has to do for it to be reasonable effort. Is just listing on real estate.com enough?

Dd needs to break her and her real estate reckons it will take 4 months to get new tenants. That over 8 k in rent for a place she won't be living in.

That's a hard one. Will it take that long to find a tenant for every property in that area because it's a low sort after area or is it because the rent she is paying is too high for the current market?

As for what is reasonable, the agent should be doing everything they do with a property that isn't a break lease.

It should be advertised on websites, rental list in office and prospective tenants need to be shown through (in a break lease situation a tenant will sometimes be the one to show them through).

If the property is taking time to relet because the tenant is paying $400 a week, but the property is only worth $350 in the current market, then it needs to be advertised at the lower amount.

If not then the tenant can apply to QCAT (assuming on qld - if not other states have their own branch) to be released from the lease without penalty.

In this situation if it's been going on for some time where it hasn't been relet because it's over priced, then the adjudicator at QCAT can end the tenancy and award compensation to the tenant (and this has happened in a number of cases).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have said no pets before then you are well within your right to say no pets now.

Dr. Seuss

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Moltone For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I recently just broke a lease agreement (in qld) and it didn't need to be ok'd with the owners. I did have to pay a lease break fee and an advertising fee and I pay rent until they find someone else.

I started the lease in January not knowing I was pregnant and the house is not suitable for a baby at all. If I waited til the lease was up to find somewhere new, I would have risked not finding another suitable house. I would be quite annoyed if the owner was not advertising or taking applications as I'm really struggling paying two lots of rent.

OP you won't be out of pocket at all and your real estate should be doing all the work. All you have to do is read through applications and pick a suitable one. If nothing comes up, the old tenants will still be paying you so no loss on your end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnab739 View Post
    That's a hard one. Will it take that long to find a tenant for every property in that area because it's a low sort after area or is it because the rent she is paying is too high for the current market?

As for what is reasonable, the agent should be doing everything they do with a property that isn't a break lease.

It should be advertised on websites, rental list in office and prospective tenants need to be shown through (in a break lease situation a tenant will sometimes be the one to show them through).

If the property is taking time to relet because the tenant is paying $400 a week, but the property is only worth $350 in the current market, then it needs to be advertised at the lower amount.

If not then the tenant can apply to QCAT (assuming on qld - if not other states have their own branch) to be released from the lease without penalty.

In this situation if it's been going on for some time where it hasn't been relet because it's over priced, then the adjudicator at QCAT can end the tenancy and award compensation to the tenant (and this has happened in a number of cases).
    Yes it is over priced. $520 a week for 2 bed apartment. Other apartments in that building are 370 to 400. She actually wants to rent one of those. Frustrating it the same on site real estate. They have already done things that make questions their motive like ask for $1000 pet bond as well as put the rent up $15 a week for her wanting to get a kitten.
    They say it slow for higher apartments.

Her boyfriend moved out and left her paying the whole amount.

Sorry for hijacking your thread op.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Yes it is over priced. $520 a week for 2 bed apartment. Other apartments in that building are 370 to 400. She actually wants to rent one of those. Frustrating it the same on site real estate. They have already done things that make questions their motive like ask for $1000 pet bond as well as put the rent up $15 a week for her wanting to get a kitten.
    They say it slow for higher apartments.

Her boyfriend moved out and left her paying the whole amount.

Sorry for hijacking your thread op.

If the rent is increased due to her having pets and no pets being in the other apartments that's justified. I know so e people who increase the cost of rent for pets so they can cover any damages done from pets.... Like smells, scratch marks etc. a friend moved back into their rental and the carpets stank even after being cleaned 3 times yet the lady got most of her bond back, although the damage from the pets because she couldn't claim for carpets as the lady had them professionally cleaned when she left