+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Diabetes?

So, I went to the chemist this morning to get a few things and to enquire about a persistent rash/sores that won't heal, but also haven't spread anywhere. I've had them since Easter and have put them down to stress and being run down (due to my hectic life/work/study schedule). Anyway the chemist asked me what moisturiser and I used and I told her I never use moisturiser because I drink 3-4L of a day and she went in to panic mode and told me I need to get tested for diabetes?
    There is no family history of diabetes, I exercise at the gym regularly (classes, running, weights) (which for me = increased water intake given what I sweat out), and eat well the majority of the time. I don't get headaches, or leg cramps. I do get dizzy but I have low blood pressure so that would explain the dizziness I get (it's not all the time...last time I got dizzy was after jumping up from a burpee at the gym).
    I'll go and get tested, but I won't get to the doctor for a couple of weeks, but it just being told to get tested for diabetes is a bit out of the blue. Was curious as to what hubbers think (I know that there can be no diagnosis, just more curious as to whether others also think I should get tested).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if its got you worried, go get tested, she has either overreacted or she has seen something that you may have missed in yourself. but unless the symptoms you describe including the thirst didn't have the context that you described then I'm not sure I would be in too much of a hurry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I think a lot of people drink lots of water in the day, and it may just be a good habit.. Unless it's a recent increase in thirst/getting up lots at night to wee, and you had other risk factors like family history, high BMI etc I wouldn't stress about it. No harm going to the GP for a check-up though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I was a bit surprised by her deep concern. She made me promise I'd get myself to the GP three times. I'll need to go to the GP about this rash when life dies down a bit so I'll get myself tested then. I've never heard anyone worry about someone having their skin permanently hydrated enough that they don't need to use moisturiser, I always thought it was a good thing! I know the rash/sores concerned her but it's pretty normal for me to get them when I'm run down...I've just ran out of the prescribed cream my doctor gives me, and can't get back there until the end of semester.
    For now though, to the back of my mind and carrying on with normal life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there I am a pharmacist & if anyone told me they had "sores" for over a month I would strongly refer to the GP also. It could indicate an underlying medical condition of which diabetes is one possibility. A "rash" with no other symptoms with a history of eczema is a different story. Did they have a look at it? Is this a flare up of an existing eczema type condition? Is it bothering you? Is it crusty? You said you've been stressed/busy, it could be an eczema flare up if you have had them in the past. A trip to the GP certainly won't hurt & I would suggest looking at your skin care routine as IMO the most effective treatment of long-term skin problems is maintenance by avoiding soap & using moisturiser every day, thus reducing the need for steroid creams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's completely normal to drink 3-4litres a day. Technically going by ones weight you should drink at least 3litres a day. I drink up to 5 but am training a lot and still over weight.
    Are you constantly going to the toilet too or extremely thirsty? All signs of Diabetes. The other thing could be because the rash isn't healing after a month. People with diabetes tend to not heal as fast as those without.
    My 7 year old is type 1 and a little scratch can take weeks to heal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly I believe the rash is caused by the same bacteria as impetigo and I just don't have the right cream to clear it up. When I've had it previously the prescription cream for impetigo has it cleared up within 2-3 days. I'm out of the cream and have tried using an over the counter anti-fungal cream but it hasn't worked. I have never had eczema.
    During the day I probably go to the toilet every couple of hours, but then once I'm in bed I sleep all night (every now and then I may need to get up to pee once, but it's not an every night thing). I started my day with a vigorous work out that leaves me very sweaty so I drink a good litre of water in the morning before I leave for the day to replace what I've sweated out. I work in an airconditioned, no natural air at all, environment...it's drying and so I have my water bottle with me and drink as I go (not a sit down job so I'm not sitting and drinking all day).
    I tend to bruise easily, and bruises can take a while to go away, but cuts heal quite quickly.
    Last edited by Full House; 24-05-2014 at 22:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have Type 1 Diabetes and my main symptom (the one that made me go to the GP) was extreme unquenchable thirst. It didn't matter how much I drank, I was always thirsty and therefore running to the loo (all through the night too). I wouldn't think that drinking 4L or so a day was particularly unusual unless you are doing so because of a severe thirst. I think was drinking more than that before my diagnosis!

Its worth getting checked out though...a lingering skin rash would be a little worrying. Hope its nothing.