+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The one I detailed above is my second labour. My first was preterm at 35 wks, drug free and natural. I had wireless monitoring (if they can't do wireless you can opt to get monitored for 5 mins every hour or so and not be monitored at all times) and I got through it, partner-less, by walking back and forth across my labour room for 10 hrs of my 12 hr labour. The pushing stage was spent in a variety of upright positions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    Absolutely! You can labour in any position you want IF you have not had an epidural or spinal.
    With the epidurals, they try to do them so you have got some feeling in your legs. The idea is to still be able to raise them.

If you've got enough feeling and able to support yourself, the midwives will be able to help you flip over onto your hands and knees on the bed whilst pushing. I've even gotten women off the bed (with the help of their partner and another midwife) and sitting on a birth stool (leaning back against their partner) on the ground for pushing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow hats off to you.. 12hrs of labour partner-less. hope you don't mind me asking was that a decision you'd made or due to unforseen circumstances? and did you have a birth plan for your pregnancies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all the advice ladies! Im going to havr a good chat about the VEs to my midwife at my appointment next weeks.

Ive got some electric tea-light candles coming as well as a relaxation cd. Hopefully they will help me get into a good space.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thanks so much for all the advice ladies! Im going to havr a good chat about the VEs to my midwife at my appointment next weeks.

Ive got some electric tea-light candles coming as well as a relaxation cd. Hopefully they will help me get into a good space.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    good luck. Unfortunately your hospital is very intervention friendly even with low risk mums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by kaleissk View Post
    Really interesting read! some great advise. I've certainly taken some notes. Now this maybe a silly question. @Marepoppin, you mentioned that you were in a kneeling position throughout labour/birth? I'm curious is this a position that is allowed (if that's the right word) during birth in any hospital? I'm imagining myself laying on a flat bed for hrs on end not being able to move or change positions.
    kneeling and allowing gravity to help the process.. now that sounds good to me.
    I gave birth twice in a private hospital and they were very supportive of active birth. My first, an induction, I was encouraged to walk around to try to get things moving. I did end up on the bed strapped to a monitor, however instead of laying on my back I kneeled over the bed head. So even if you end up on a drip and on monitoring, you can still move about and labour actively.

My second labour I spent in the shower until it was time to push and I wanted to be up on the bed. I gave birth on all fours.

Sent from my XT925 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

kaleissk  (29-05-2014)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you have anyone in your life, friend relative or whoever who could come around if you asked when you went into early labour?

The thing I wanted MOST when I began labour was company. I could deal with the pains by walking, rubbing belly/back or whatever, but comapny (doula/partner) was by far the best and most reassuring thing, someone to whinge to, crack up with, or say '$hit I'm feeling scared!' to and know someone hears you, bluddy worth it's weight in gold!

All the best
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 29-05-2014 at 13:02.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read through the entire thread, but when I was home in early labour I used a hired TENS machine for pain relief. I loved it, and ended up taking it to hospital with me later that night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kaleissk View Post
    Wow hats off to you.. 12hrs of labour partner-less. hope you don't mind me asking was that a decision you'd made or due to unforseen circumstances? and did you have a birth plan for your pregnancies?
    @kaleissk no it wasn't the plan; my then-boyfriend was a mentally unstable loose cannon drug addict and left on Saturday morning to visit a friend and didn't return that day. He wasn't contactable. My water broke at 2am on Sunday morning and the girl I worked with came to my house and took me to the hospital but couldn't stay. I had no family as I was living interstate. My partner was located when he chose to come back to Darwin from a remote fishing spot 3 hrs away, and arrived an hour after my son was born at 6pm (arrived at 7pm). He had quite a few messages on his phone from his mother, as you can imagine. So that's my first labour story

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    You can choose any position you feel comfortable in hun. For my second I birthed him almost standing supported by my husband and midwife! Definitely try to stay off your back if you can. Your pelvis is open up to 30% more in upright positions.
    If possible I'm definitely going to avoid laying down. Having said that these things maybe out of my control.