+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I birthed in a hospital birth suite but I didn't have a single VE because it wasn't the practice of my private midwife to do them unless they are asked by the woman to. I used the shower and had a water birth in the bath. I didn't have any pain relief. I knew when I was in transition because I started thinking about having an epidural/going home. I was in a kneeling position (shower and bath) the whole time and kept my knees wide apart so that the baby could slide down with gravity. I got monitored with a Doppler on the tummy twice.
    OP, I'm not sure if we are on topic with your original post but I just want to tell you that you can do whatever you set your mind to do and have exactly the labour you want as long as you and baby are safe. Pain relief intervention tends to lead to further intervention which tends to lead to failure to progess which tends to lead to assisted birth. Read up on natural labour and birth management and message me or any of the other ladies who have found a way to do it the old-fashioned way and I know we will do our best to help you through the mental prep.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Not to be rude but the ctg tells you nothing about the strength of contractions. It only tells you length and frequency, and the reason it's really used is to see when declarations occur in relation to contractions.

you could have someone in early labour and then progressing into labour and the contraction pattern on the ctg machine would still look the same.

It doesn't mean anything.
    I agree I'm not sure why you think I think it measures strength of contractions!!!
    The numbers were the same for me in early and established labour- I couldn't feel the ones in the first 6 hours at all but it tells you you are having them and how often which may mean the poster doesn't need a VE if she was say getting four every ten minutes of almost sixty second length

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAELEEJANE View Post
    I agree I'm not sure why you think I think it measures strength of contractions!!!
    The numbers were the same for me in early and established labour- I couldn't feel the ones in the first 6 hours at all but it tells you you are having them and how often which may mean the poster doesn't need a VE if she was say getting four every ten minutes of almost sixty second length
    Still doesn't mean that you're in labour and it's appropriate to put an epidural in. You'd go off how the woman was behaving, not the ctg.

Obviously if you weren't feeling contractions for the first 6 hours then you were not in labour even though the CTG "told you that you were having them".
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 25-05-2014 at 13:37.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

CitrusRainxxx  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummytomy2boys View Post
    I dont believe the machines at all
    Neither do I. Apart from the fetal heart monitor :P

The only reason why it even records contractions/tightenings (whatever the hell you want to call it) is that if there is decelerations (dips) in the fetal heart rate you can see if they're occurring with the contraction (somewhat acceptable) or if they're occurring after the contraction (more ominous).

And this is of course completely off topic to the OP's question. Sorry OP.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Op.
    Best pain relief in early Labour is do your best Hawaiian dance impression while Leaning on the back of couch/kitchen bench/ table/wall or personal favorite the boot of the car.

Next step up a hot shower or heat pack while bounce on a gym ball.

Other things that help me is some time on all fours. If the pain was really bad in back.

Once a partner arrives one my faves in to lean over something high like table and have my partner press hard on lower tail bone /but.

Movement and heat are really effective for me. I never concentrated on my as such breathing I just let it be natural. For me it came naturally.

The more relaxed you can be there you will be.

If something is not working try something else

Chat on here too will really help to distract yourself

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Some really good tips here! I didn't do much at home apart from my usual housework, washing up, hanging washing on the line etc. It kept me busy!

The only thing I would suggest is to smile during each contraction. It will help to relax you. Think about the wonderful work you are doing, bringing your baby into the world, and smile

Me, he and our two boys

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't want VEs stay home as long as you can. Too many hospital staff get VE happy.

i had ridiculous amounts for my first birth. Second and Third i stayed home and had none.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really interesting read! some great advise. I've certainly taken some notes. Now this maybe a silly question. @Marepoppin, you mentioned that you were in a kneeling position throughout labour/birth? I'm curious is this a position that is allowed (if that's the right word) during birth in any hospital? I'm imagining myself laying on a flat bed for hrs on end not being able to move or change positions.
    kneeling and allowing gravity to help the process.. now that sounds good to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely! You can labour in any position you want IF you have not had an epidural or spinal block. These interventions will tether you to the bed because a woman who can't feel her legs isn't going to be allowed to walk. In addition, most hospitals have wireless fetal heart monitors so you don't have to lie down to be monitored if you don't want to be.
    It is so important to me that all mothers to be know that it is YOUR labour and YOU do what you need to do! Close the door, turn off the lights, have some electric tea lights for atmosphere, refuse exams, refuse to be interrupted, get your partner to evict any negative or intrusive people, do it YOUR WAY. Make sure you have an advocate who can talk to the nurses on your behalf so you can stay in your zone. Mine was a private-practicing midwife with visiting rights at my chosen hospital so she dealt with everyone and all I did was deliver my baby in my own way. Yours could be a private midwife, a doula, your mum, your sister. She doesn't have to be in the room but she runs interference so that you can focus on letting gravity do it's job on your baby. Walk, stand, kneel on all fours, get in the shower, hum, vocalise... Educate yourself. Read birth skills and other similar books. Do it your way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

kaleissk  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well that's great to read! thankyou. I ultimately want a natural drug free birth.. Sure that might sound a bit ambitious & outrageous as its our first. I'll certainly have a back up plan, but to know that I have say with regards to labour and the birth of my baby puts me at ease. I couldn't think of anything worse than being told no you can't do this, no you have to have this, don't do that etc. I think that would put a real dampener on the experience.