+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Darn. Guess I'll have to think more about other pain relief options then.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Do the VE's make you anxious? Honestly you won't care how many VE's are done if you are in that much pain and labour is progressing slowly you also can't have pethidine without an exam. You may have gas BUT you have to concentrate very hard on the breathing it in to get any benefit.....personally I didn't think it helped the pain of a contraction it just allowed me to hallucinate between them.
    Have a worst case plan- I didn't want gas or pethidine but the anesthetist punctured my dura with the needle trying to administer the epidural so I was then unable to have one, I had to go with gas as I was too far along for pethidine.....I laboured for another 5 hours before an assisted delivery. Anything can happen!
    I second or third Juju's birth skills it has wonderful coping techniques and info to help you feel in control

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAELEEJANE View Post
    Do the VE's make you anxious? Honestly you won't care how many VE's are done if you are in that much pain and labour is progressing slowly you also can't have pethidine without an exam. You may have gas BUT you have to concentrate very hard on the breathing it in to get any benefit.....personally I didn't think it helped the pain of a contraction it just allowed me to hallucinate between them.
    Have a worst case plan- I didn't want gas or pethidine but the anesthetist punctured my dura with the needle trying to administer the epidural so I was then unable to have one, I had to go with gas as I was too far along for pethidine.....I laboured for another 5 hours before an assisted delivery. Anything can happen!
    I second or third Juju's birth skills it has wonderful coping techniques and info to help you feel in control
    I'll be in pain from the VE as well as labour so not sure if I could handle that. I have vaginismus. I managed to improve it enough to get through ivf but still struggled with the embryo transfer. Since ive been pregnant it seems to have got worse again. I've heard that the gas doesnt help everyone like you said & that if it does it only takes the edge off. I didnt know I couldnt have pethadine either without a VE no idea how I'll get through the birth with just gas alone.

No-one (FS, gp's etc) take my vaginismus seriously, they just say it hurts cause im making it hurt. Im assuming the midwives & ob will have a similar attitude so im reluctant to talk to them about it. I dont need that attitude when im trying to stay calm during labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    If your in obvious labour, then put an epidural in (they'd notice if you were about to have a baby), but once your more comfortable they'd want to check and see where things are at. You shouldn't feel them checking, just some light pressure. You'd also need a catheter, so they're going to be down there anyway.

It could depend on the hospital policy where you birth. I know at my local hospital the policy is that a VE is done before an epidural (and morphine, they don't give pethidine anymore at my local hospital).

As for VE's, I found them painful...no reason for me to feel so much pain (no physical conditions or mental history), but they would have crawling up the back of the bed trying to get away. I hated them. The midwife I had kept them to a minimum but they were still necessary at some point throughout all three of my labours, for various reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    It could depend on the hospital policy where you birth. I know at my local hospital the policy is that a VE is done before an epidural (and morphine, they don't give pethidine anymore at my local hospital).
    True. The hospital that OP is going to is pretty anal about policies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was 6 hours from 5min apart contractions. So I am guessing I was around 4cm when the contractions started at 5mins apart
    Before that tho I just had what I thought were braxton hicks for 4 hours. I had tea and sat and asked dh whether he thinks I might be in labour. I just breathed thru them
    When they got to 5 mins apart tho nothing helped. I just stood up and lent over the couch and breathed. It wasn't really pain as such, just tightening of tummy for 60 seconds
    I arrived 10cm dilated and wanted to push for the whole car ride there and had her 55 mins later.
    Last edited by Kazza78; 23-05-2014 at 18:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found kneeling on a dining chair and leaning on the back of it was very helpful. I have padded dining chairs but if you don't you can get tie on cushions which should work.
    Last edited by Tildy; 23-05-2014 at 20:21.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I'll be in pain from the VE as well as labour so not sure if I could handle that. I have vaginismus. I managed to improve it enough to get through ivf but still struggled with the embryo transfer. Since ive been pregnant it seems to have got worse again. I've heard that the gas doesnt help everyone like you said & that if it does it only takes the edge off. I didnt know I couldnt have pethadine either without a VE no idea how I'll get through the birth with just gas alone.

No-one (FS, gp's etc) take my vaginismus seriously, they just say it hurts cause im making it hurt. Im assuming the midwives & ob will have a similar attitude so im reluctant to talk to them about it. I dont need that attitude when im trying to stay calm during labour.

Oh no that would be tough my GP gave me the choice of VE's done by himself or the midwives very small delicate hands!! Hehehehe!
    I had a few very serious medical issues which meant I was to either have a c section or an epidural vaginal birth.....I didn't get either! Possibly if you ask for pethidine early enough you won't need a VE or only one?? I was to be given the epi in early labour- before gas or pethidine was used. Midwives usually only organise these things when you are 3-4cm and in active labour. I asked her to ring my GP and he confirmed I could have one straight away. So if it was the same for you I can't see why they would really need to do a VE if the CTG was registering contractions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAELEEJANE View Post
    I can't see why they would really need to do a VE if the CTG was registering contractions.
    Not to be rude but the ctg tells you nothing about the strength of contractions. It only tells you length and frequency, and the reason it's really used is to see when declarations occur in relation to contractions.

you could have someone in early labour and then progressing into labour and the contraction pattern on the ctg machine would still look the same.

It doesn't mean anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heat pack all the way till baby popped out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd also recommend the book Birth Skills. I read it before my second was born - compared with my first labour I felt much more in control and I definitely handled the pain much better.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (24-05-2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast