+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I mustn't have bad periods because I didn't think it was anything like that! I don't have active labour to compare it to either.

Focusing on breathing makes me feel panicky too. Don't do that. Perhaps try pinching yourself? Your brain only has so many pain receptors so this distracts them from what's going on (sterile water injections are based in this theory) and I find it can snap me out of overthinking when heading towards a panic attack on my own.

I had to labour mostly alone as I wanted DH to sleep and have some energy for the day ahead. The bath felt amazing, helped so much. I should have had ready the following items: a pillow for my head that I didn't care if it got wet, a fan heater as it's hard to fully submerge when you're huge so knees etc got cold, a basket with a water bottle, a bottle of lemonade, some crackers, lollipops etc., lots of towels on the floor for all the water I kept sploshing over the sides.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks citrus rain I will pm you

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I second Birth Skills by Juju Sundin - lots of great practical strategies that will give you options to focus on, with both physical and mental focus points depending on what works best for you. I also found watching a contraction timer app really helpful as once I saw 30 seconds was up I knew I was past halfway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

Related question - once im at the hospital am I able to have an epidural without getting a dilation check first? Ive heard that midwives can usually tell how far dilated you are by sounds, body language etc. I want the option of an epidural but I wont be consenting to any dilation checks unless the baby is at risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heat pack, gym ball & shower! (Beware of the shower though you won't want to get out!)

I was so worried DH wouldn't cope/help with my labour, I was scared of the pain/being alone in it.

Once contractions kicked in everything changed. I was like 'don't touch me, don't breath on me, don't look at me!' While I rolled around the floor moaning like a walrus (couldn't get comfortable) & DH played angry birds on his phone! Lol.

What was originally my worse nightmare was exactly what I wanted when labour kicked in!

You never know what to expect. Hot anything helps. Apart from that breath & know your body was designed to do this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thanks ladies!

Related question - once im at the hospital am I able to have an epidural without getting a dilation check first? Ive heard that midwives can usually tell how far dilated you are by sounds, body language etc. I want the option of an epidural but I wont be consenting to any dilation checks unless the baby is at risk.

No they won't. It's one of the first questions the anaesthetist will ask, and they will also ask how long ago the last dilation check was, because if was too far gone for theirliking then they'll request another one before continuing on with the epidural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    No they won't. It's one of the first questions the anaesthetist will ask, and they will also ask how long ago the last dilation check was, because if was too far gone for theirliking then they'll request another one before continuing on with the epidural.
    Darn. Guess I'll have to think more about other pain relief options then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't focus on your breathing if you don't think that'll help; use your voice in active labour. Oohs ahs and other vowel sounds distract you and are productive to dilation. It's a positive outlet for pain and energy. I never stopped making sounds in my labour, it was less than 4 hrs tho. And vocalisation isn't screaming, it's just (loud) vowel sounds on the breath out. Juju's birth skills will tell you all about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to say, have a look at Juju Sundjin (sp) Birth Skills book, there are some handy hints in there. In early labour, when it started getting more ouchy and I needed more than just a distraction, I used some of her techniques.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    If your in obvious labour, then put an epidural in (they'd notice if you were about to have a baby), but once your more comfortable they'd want to check and see where things are at. You shouldn't feel them checking, just some light pressure. You'd also need a catheter, so they're going to be down there anyway.

The other problem with that is the epidural takes away your natural body cues. You won't have transition and you won't have that urge to push that tells the midwives that things are progressing well. The midwives just have to go by the feel of your abdomen (how tight it gets during a contraction) to assess how strong and often contractions are. Which means dilation checks are neccessary to make sure labour is still progressing.