Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hot showers and bath.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I laboured at home for 11 hrs before heading into the hospital. I found that moving around heaps really helped.... that might be an obvious one but all I wanted to do was crawl up in a ball but dp made me and the pain was easier to handle when I was pacing. Also second the hot showers and excerise ball.

I have a very low pain tolerance also and was certain I get the epi but I managed the whole 16 hrs of labour on only gas. I just kept thinking people do this everyday and so can I! Good luck :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

Joeee  (29-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Agree with everyone else, it's like a period pain, hot showers and a heat pack and bouncing on a ball or just lying over the couch and rocking helped me a lot. I got a tens machine but I think that's only useful if there's someone to help you put it on, otherwise the wires are a pita.

There are apps you can dl to time contractions, I found it useful because I didn't have to look at the clock or time anything, I'd just press a button when it started and stopped and the app timed and recorded it automatically.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, interested in this thread also. Thanks OP. Can anyone recommend a good app for timing contractions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I used Pregnancy Tracker, it's free and I used the kick counter too in the 3rd trimester. I think it only times about 10 contractions, then you have to reset it which is no big deal. I didn't time all my contractions, only about 3-4 every hour maybe?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

Ever1013  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also when your in the peak of a contraction just think it's nearly gone and you won't feel a thing soon.. Just a few more seconds!!!! Early labour is not the one to be worried about lol You will be fine it's such an exciting time! It's the day you have been waiting for! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks ladies!

Another question - if I have a panic attack whilst I'm in labour would that stop or slow down the labour or would it not be a problem?

I don't get to see a psych till next week so with only 6 weeks to go I'm not sure how under control my anxiety will be by then or how proficient I'll be at relaxation strategies by then.

Also midwife at the antenatal class said to focus on breathing while in labour, but usually focusing on my breathing causes me to have a panic attack, so is focusing on breathing totally necessary?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone is different and every labour is different. For me breathing didn't do anything but it may get others through. Mine was to vary positions and take showers (at home and hosp).

To be honest take it as it comes. I think as you said, it may stress you out a little more thinking about the next contraction and breathe and I must do this now and this is the position they told me would help. Whatever feels comfortable at the time, it may change every 5 minutes, is what you should do. Honestly your main focus is to get through each contraction however you want.

Try to rest through early labour and sleep if possible. You need to rest for active labour. Everyone is sooo different though. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    It won't do anything to the labour but it isn't good for you. Relax if you can but if you cant, keep busy, anything to keep your mind from focusing on pain. I found I was taught a lot of things in antenatal and it all went out the window when I was in labour. I did my own thing, found my own breathing rhythm naturally and just leant over a ball and crunched ice when I got to the hospital. Couple of pethidine shots didnt hurt either lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Demonica For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A shower, Panadol and heat pack. Early labour is a lot similar to period pain. Put a movie on and try to relax and take ur mind off it. Oh and try to get some sleep. Once it all starts it's very exhausting. Conserve ur energy, eat well and rest.