+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Stuff to help with managing the pain of early labour if I'm home alone

Probably a stupid question, but just asking cause I have no idea what to expect when I go into labour - I was just wondering if there is anything I can do/buy/pre-prepare for if I am at home alone when I start having contractions? I'm not sure how bad the pain is likely to be so I don't know if there's anything I need to have ready for managing it by myself.

The antenatal classes gave us lots of tips about managing pain but most of it involves the support person (ie massages, leaning on them etc) so I wasn't sure if there is stuff I can have ready for if I'm by myself.

I have a super low pain tolerance & I'm really scared of labour as it is, so I just want to make sure I'm well prepared & make the early stages as smooth (and stress-free) as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The best thing I found was a heat pack! The gym balls are apparently great to

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brooke082010 For This Useful Post:

amazonbaby  (30-05-2014),Bubbles10  (25-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never been through labour, as such, but I've heard that some people find the use of the Tens machines really helpful...you can buy or hire these for use at home

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Early labour isnt so bad. Its mostly just like period pains. Hot water bottle or a shower definitely helps along with breathing deeply and don't forget something to time your contractions

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Demonica For This Useful Post:

SHAELEEJANE  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry about buying anything. Seriously it's down to basics. Warm showers (couldn't handle baths as I felt stuck and claustrophobic if wanted to change position) and crouching in a doorway holding onto the frame or just crouching over the couch with my knees on the floor. Everyone is different but I don't think I opened my labour bag once and I had everything and anything people said to buy.. Up to you really. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I've got a heat pack & I'll try to find my gym ball.

Glad to hear it's not that bad, I just wasn't sure what it would be like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Throw some music on too if that helps with relaxing you and getting your mind off it. Best of luck with it all and try not to stress too much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I'll make sure I have some CD's handy.

Just nervous about being home alone when the time comes, but that makes me feel a lot better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Early labour is like a period pain, it will ramp up and get stronger. Heat packs, showers, baths, distract yourself with tv/movies/anything really.
    I went grocery shopping and to the beach in early labour (it was my 3rd so I was a bit more relaxed, wouldn't have done it with my first) and, whilst they'd stop me in my tracks I could easily pretend I'd stopped for a reason and quietly breath through each one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As mentioned before, hot showers and baths and bouncing on a for ball. The for ball was really helpful for me, the repetition of bouncing really calmed me down.