+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do your children resist getting dressed?

DS & DD hate getting dressed. No matter what I do, majority of the time they are uncooperative and a tantrum ensues.

I try very much to be positive for the day ahead, but I'm growing tired of having to wrestle them into their clothes, or having to keep my patience when they just keep hitting and thrashing at me.

How do you end up getting them dressed? Do you discipline them for their disobedience/ behaviour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do they choose their own clothes (within reason). I used to have dramas with dd because she only wanted to wear particular outfits. When she was younger we went out a few times with her in pj's because I didn't want to have the dramas. She understands the difference with pj's and going out clothes now so will get dressed. I let her choose though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Do they choose their own clothes (within reason). I used to have dramas with dd because she only wanted to wear particular outfits. When she was younger we went out a few times with her in pj's because I didn't want to have the dramas. She understands the difference with pj's and going out clothes now so will get dressed. I let her choose though.
    DS is in primary school, so he is more willing to get dressed, but on weekends I can't get him to put pants on , while DD I sometimes let her help choose her clothes, but she likes to walk around with a nappy and nothing else. Obviously in winter, this isn't going to fly with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope ds doesn't really complain unless it it interfering with a game he is playing. But, he loves getting out of the house every day and knows that to do this we need to get dressed first, so that helps I guess.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Barnaby For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! I have a 4 y/o DS that won't cooperate. It's always "I'm playing first THEN I'll get dressed" or "I will later". I always make sure he is dressed early in the morning, that way we avoid a confrontation if we leave the house.

⭐️DS #1 born 15.03.2010⭐️
    ⭐️DS #2 born 16.02.2014⭐️
    ⭐️Me=29 💗 DP=34⭐️

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luminary For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 is 4.5yrs old and takes forever to get dressed! I'll let him choose his own clothes (I tell him if it will be hot or cold so shorts or long pants needed, or school uniform) but then he just brings them to the couch and leaves them there. He loves racing so after asking him to get dressed 100 times I'll say 'right, I'm getting dressed(or getting ds2 dressed) and I'm gonna win!!' Then I'll run off in a hurry pretending to do it as fast as I can. This usually works and he quickly gets dressed.
    Days that it doesn't work and he is really interested in whatever is on TV, I'll just start dressing him while he is watching

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twolittlemunchkins For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Yes they do. Mainly because they don't want to stop what they're doing and get dressed. They wear uniforms so it shouldn't be so hard but it is.

DD1 is fine now. DD2 spends more time arguing than it actually takes to get dressed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twolittlemunchkins View Post
    He loves racing so after asking him to get dressed 100 times I'll say 'right, I'm getting dressed(or getting ds2 dressed) and I'm gonna win!!'
    I do this! I have to "lose" though, because if DD wins DS throws a tantrum.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

twolittlemunchkins  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD's not even 2 yet, but she communicates really clearly. Some times she's fine - I give her a choice between 2 things, she chooses one, no issues. Other times it doesn't matter what I offer, she doesn't want to wear pants/a shirt/anything. If we're at home I often leave it up to her, even if I think she'll be cold. If she's THAT cold she'll let me know. If we're going out though, that's when I'll resort to wrestling her into her clothes if I can't manage to distract her while I do it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (23-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomia View Post
    I do this! I have to "lose" though, because if DD wins DS throws a tantrum.
    Oh yes! I should have mentioned that. Ds1 has to win every time or it's a tantrum.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to twolittlemunchkins For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (23-05-2014)