+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's what I'm getting at. You can try and monitor it but there are kids out there that are just going to go behind your back and you'd be pretty powerless to stop it.

I'm glad facebook wasn't so big when I was a teenager, it had only just been invented and it didn't interest me at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    They will have access at school though - every high school kid I know has to take an iPad to school

My DS is only 3 but I hope that I can teach him how to use it responsibly when the time comes ( I don't have a Facebook account and always maintain I'll get one when DS does !) and I know the school also has social media policies and rules in place so hoping that will also help
    You can block certain sites from the I-pad? Disable the Internet connection?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeobull View Post
    That's what I'm getting at. You can try and monitor it but there are kids out there that are just going to go behind your back and you'd be pretty powerless to stop it.

I'm glad facebook wasn't so big when I was a teenager, it had only just been invented and it didn't interest me at all
    Yeah you can't protect 100%. But if you create an environment where your kid is not able to fart around unsupervised on Facebook until 1am then you're mitigating the risks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If a kid has an account just set up the email as your email address so they can't change the password. Cause anyone can easily click on forgot password

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My nearly 12 yr old daughter has Instagram. She's had it for about a year. I allowed her when I had one. I don't snoop on it but I trust her. She always asks to add anyone (friends of friends) and I check in with her about stuff time to time.
    We home school so this is a social outlet for her and a creative outlet as she likes making picture edits of dolls and disney and shares an account with a friend (I know her mother from my childhood and fully trust the girl who is almost 13).
    My only issue is sometimes she spends too much time looking at it, just like I used to!
    My 7 yr old keeps pestering for one, I had told her at ten she could but since I gave it up in February she won't be getting one ever. I would actually like my eldest to close hers but she really enjoys using it and hasn't misused it.

Bubhub is is the only social media I use now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    My 6 yr old son has a youtube account and a steam account. His youtube account is basically used for minecradt videos and he reads and makes comments on server activity. The steam account, he doesn't use the sicial media side and only uses it for looking for pc games he wants. He has wish lists set up and I can monitor his progress with games and see any areas he is having difficulty with. Most of the games are educational or old school like sonic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Social media is a tricky one. My SS is 13 and thankfully has no interest in FB, nor do any of his friends (I also read somewhere that it's losing popularity with this generation because too many of their parents are on it). SS did set himself up with a LinkedIn account, which DH and I have since told him to take down because he filled it with stupid rubbish, not realising that LI is a professional network.

He has a Skype account to chat with his friends, which his mother closely monitors. Just as well because we ran into some problems last year with some of the things the boys and girls were saying to each other. I can't believe the way they talk to each other these days. They can be so rude. I think it's awful.

The one to really watch when they get to that age is the online computer games. SS is obsessed with Minecraft and a few other quest style games that his group of friends play together, while talking to each other via Skype and logged on a private network. Problem with that is, despite being told not to, the boys recently took it upon themselves to play on an open network, where anyone can see what they're doing, make contact with them and join their quests (i.e. very easy for predators pretending to be kids to get in touch with them). Suffice it to say computer game time went through a short ban and time has since been seriously curtailed.

Life was so much simpler before all this technology and I think kids miss out on a lot of things, compared to when I was a kid. Whatever happened to cricket in the local park with the neighbourhood gang of kids, climbing trees and building tree houses, or riding off on mini adventures on your bike???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    I don't even plan on telling my kids the password to their fb in early teens. I will be logging them on and off so they don't do stupid things. I won't be allowing it until some time after they're 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    If a kid has an account just set up the email as your email address so they can't change the password. Cause anyone can easily click on forgot password

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    They are great ideas! I'll be using those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS will prob get one in a few weeks as it is how the leadership team at karate communicate....it will be in a slightly false name though so no one else will know and he will be in that group and nothing else.

I think "just say no" works as well with social media as it does with sex....it doesn't. Education is the only way to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeobull View Post
    I have a question for all those that say they will have the password. If your child sets up the account with you and gives you the password then after say a week/month or whatever they secretly change the password what can you do? you can't delete the account without the password and you can't force them to give you the password (thinking of myself as a teenager) what would you do? Chances are they can still access their facebook at school or on their phones.
    Kids do all sorts of dumb things as they grow up, and we will cross each bridge as they come. However, you can do as much as possible to protect your kids, and I think kids need protecting on social media. I don't plan on letting my kids have internet access on their phones when they first get one, and computers will be central. Even if they have an ipad, wifi is password protected, and as someone else said, set up the accounts to your email so they can't click that they forgot their password.
    And of course, we'll educate our kids and explain why we're being so cautious so they understand.