+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids social media accounts

Just wondering what age do you/will you let your kids have social media accounts, like Facebook, Instagram etc?

My eldest is 11 and I haven't even considered it. A few years (!!) ago, he asked me for FB because some of his friends had it. I said no. That was that, and he hasn't asked again. But then his school has now really frowned upon it and has stated a few times to parents at assemblies that seeing as though there is a legal age limit for FB, NO primary school child legally should have an account, nor should they because it's a bad idea for a child anyway.

I don't know when I will actually let my kids have social media. Not for many years I think. I just don't think kids/young teens and even older teens have the mental capacity to protect themselves, and to not post stupid sh##!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by CMF; 24-05-2014 at 06:50. Reason: Edited for privacy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My oldest is 11 and has fb and ig, however, she hardly ever uses it and both accounts have the highest security settings. I monitor her usage very very closely. The main reason she uses social media is to keep in contact with family. A lot of her friends have fb accounts too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Funny you should ask. 9 yo dd1 asked for a messenger account a couple days ago. I thought about and then said no. She's too young to be worrying about that and there bullying that can go with it,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cluckcluck View Post
    My oldest is 11 and has fb and ig, however, she hardly ever uses it and both accounts have the highest security settings. I monitor her usage very very closely. The main reason she uses social media is to keep in contact with family. A lot of her friends have fb accounts too.
    This to me is fine ! It's called responsible parenting.

Your friend is an idiot . She needs to wake up and be a parent . Not a cool friend to her kids .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids are much younger but atm my friends kids are involved with police as yours OP. A teen boy sent a pic and vice versa. Hes now on the sex offenders registry. They are close friends and I think this can ruin peoples lives.

When I was a kid this used to be done in a shed LOL! Never is my answer my kids arent moving out or growing up

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My eldest will be 13 in a week and a half, thankfully he has no interest in FB at all. Had he asked, I may have set one up in the past year and just monitored him.. Hope he stays uninterested to be honest.. Have seen the crap my neighbours 14 year old posts, we have mutual friends (my nephews) and the comments she gets on her bikini and cleavage close up shots is just plain scary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Edited. (Ironically because I put too much personal info)
    Last edited by BettyW; 23-05-2014 at 08:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ss got Facebook when he has 13, and started high school, despite asking for it for a while before. I think any younger is silly and they don't need it. He is now 15 and I still monitor it very closely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a while before I have to worry about this, but assuming Facebook is still around when my DS is a teenager, I think I'd let him have an account once he reaches their minimum age. If he's any younger, he would have to lie about his age in order to sign up and that just doesn't sit right with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll try to discourage it once the boys reach the minimum age for fb but if then really want one I'll allow it. Under the conditions I have passwords to any account and the knowledge I will monitor it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app