+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I just did a quick google. The ratio in NSW is different from many other states, and there only need be 1 early childhood educator for a group of 30 - 39 students. Actually, the wording is 'at least one'. I personally believe from an educator/behaviour management of view, that this is completely insufficient.

As a comparison, the ratio in Qld is 1:15. In Victoria it's 1:15 (educator, not adults). In WA the recommended maximum class size is between 20 and 25 students depending on the class (ie purely kindy or Kindy/Yr 1).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    My DD1 is in year 1 at a catholic school her class is of 31 with a teacher & teachers aid.
    It works really well & yes its more then the public school ratio's but thats a ratio for 1 teacher with no full time teachers aid.
    The public school I work at has teachers aides 9am-1pm in the kindy classes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    I just did a quick google. The ratio in NSW is different from many other states, and there only need be 1 early childhood educator for a group of 30 - 39 students. Actually, the wording is 'at least one'. I personally believe from an educator/behaviour management of view, that this is completely insufficient.

As a comparison, the ratio in Qld is 1:15. In Victoria it's 1:15 (educator, not adults). In WA the recommended maximum class size is between 20 and 25 students depending on the class (ie purely kindy or Kindy/Yr 1).
    That's not for primary school, maybe daycare centres?

In public schools, there are only allowed to be 20 children in the first formal year of school and obviously it had to be a qualified teacher.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1400754242.293472.jpg

http://www.governmentschools.det.nsw...ios_sizes.shtm

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, for catholic schools it might be the case?

Another reason to go public in nsw IMO

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

harvs  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The public school I work at has teachers aides 9am-1pm in the kindy classes.
    OMG BigRed I'm dying of jealousy!!!! How on earth does your school manage that? I've just had my aide time cut from 2hrs per day to 1hr per day. This aide was supporting a challenging autistic child. How many kinder classes are there? We have 5 at our school at a max of 20 per class.

OP 34 kindy kids is my idea of hell. I'd be concerned if that were my child. I have 20 kinders and they are HARD WORK. Especially in term 1. I'd be also wanting to know how they teach reading with sooo many kids in the class.

Me + DH = DS1 (6), DS2 (2) and #3 due September 8th

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    OMG BigRed I'm dying of jealousy!!!! How on earth does your school manage that? I've just had my aide time cut from 2hrs per day to 1hr per day. This aide was supporting a challenging autistic child. How many kinder classes are there? We have 5 at our school at a max of 20 per class.

OP 34 kindy kids is my idea of hell. I'd be concerned if that were my child. I have 20 kinders and they are HARD WORK. Especially in term 1. I'd be also wanting to know how they teach reading with sooo many kids in the class.

We have about 50 kindy kids so we have 2 kindy classes and a k/1. We also have a shared aide in year 1. I actually teach these classes and I think the most in either class is 18.

We are a very disadvantaged school, so use extra funding for aides because these kids come to school with nothing. Never seen a book, no idea about any numbers, letters, recognising name. Some don't even know colours, counting etc.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 22-05-2014 at 20:46.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @BigRedV yeah it might have been...NSW is pretty light on for info in my 22 second google search.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    We have about 50 kindy kids so we have 2 kindy classes and a k/1. We also have a shared aide in year 1. I actually teach these classes and I think the most in either class is 18.

We are a very disadvantaged school, so use extra funding for aides because these kids come to school with nothing. Never seen a book, no idea about any numbers, letters, recognising name. Some don't even know colours, counting etc.
    Fair enough those kids need an aide for sure. I'm hating losing my aide time as my ASD guy is struggling so much. Wish we could do more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies. In terms of academic wise i am not concerned for dd being in such a large class. I am more worried about how she will cope socially at school. So i am liking that if it's a small school and only one class then that could be a good thing as she will know all the kids in kindy and probably in the later years as well. So difficult, so many things to think about. I am really worried she won't be able to make friends. It has taken years of daycare and only this year that she finally enjoys going and talks about other kids she likes to play with. Other times she says she asks but they don't want to play with her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Thanks for the replies. In terms of academic wise i am not concerned for dd being in such a large class. I am more worried about how she will cope socially at school. So i am liking that if it's a small school and only one class then that could be a good thing as she will know all the kids in kindy and probably in the later years as well. So difficult, so many things to think about. I am really worried she won't be able to make friends. It has taken years of daycare and only this year that she finally enjoys going and talks about other kids she likes to play with. Other times she says she asks but they don't want to play with her
    The thing I don't like about schools that only have 1 class per year is there's no room to move if there's a clash with another child or teacher. They're stuck with them all year (and every year with the same class if there's a problem with another child). But a school that has at least 2 classes, there's room to move students around.

At my school, we carefully consider the make up of classes each year and try and accommodate this by consulting with teachers to discuss which children should be separated etc.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (23-05-2014),Jontu  (23-05-2014)