+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Did anyone not have a professional photographer at their wedding?

Did anyone not have a professional photographer at their wedding and just ask guests to take photos? What was the result? Did you regret it? We've only got a handful of guests (10 ish).

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A friend of mine did that and just got some portraits of her kids in their pageboy/flower girl outfits later. She's never regretted it and has the photos from the guests displayed quite prominently as she feels they caught the atmosphere of the wedding more than a professional would have been able to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    One of my close friends got married without hiring a professional photographer and it's a big regret for her.

The maid of honour's brother was supposed to act as their photographer for the day (he was supposedly talented at taking pictures) but he really didn't capture any great shots at all. He didn't know how to use the digital SLR he was given to use - fail!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have one. My best friend (who's played around with photography) offered to take them. If she hadn't we would have used guest photos.
    Our wedding album is made up of the photos she took, and ones other guests took.
    Don't regret it at all. I love them all.
    In fact it was great, because having someone take them that knows you on such a personal level meant we got some that a hired photographer just wouldn't have

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes and even though i have never admitted it I do regret it. There are plenty of shots taken but not a perfect one of us as a couple. Either my husband and I look like a tit or somebody in the photo is looking the other way.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

LadyInWeighting  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't hire a wedding photographer and have regretted it ever since. Anyone can take photographs, but it takes someone with skill (or luck) to capture great moments with the right angle, lighting etc. We didn't want posed photos, just a record of what happened on the day and candid pictures. Nice in theory, but as a consequence there are no really beautiful photos from the day. I'm not at all photogenic - I wish I'd hired a professional so I'd have at least one flattering photo. And I deeply regret not getting a photo of all my family together.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

LadyInWeighting  (22-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Busy-bee if it's because of cost would you consider a student? Hopefully you would get some better photos but not have to pay as much.

Apologies for going OT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't, my husbands teenage cousin who was hoping to get more into photography took ours. She did a pretty good job too!
    It was my second marriage and we had been together nearly 7 years so I was going to be happy with some snapshots. We got married in the back yard!
    The professional we hired for my first marriage in 1998 left a lot to be desired and she was from a well known photography place in town. I'd have to say the teenager did a better job, but of course cameras might be better now days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum didnt have a proper photog and regrets it massively. Just someone who was handy with a camera.....

I had a proper one and absolutely LOVE our pics!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did have a wedding photographer, and it was single handedly the best purchase I made for the wedding. I absolutely love my photos and every time I look at them I get quite emotional because they are so beautiful. I'm not photogenic but I actually look nice in almost very pic. And the photos of my family are priceless. Having said that, if you can't afford a wedding photographer, then pick a friend who is a bit artistic and can use a digital SLR. I took photos at my cousins wedding with my digital SLR, and my cousin liked my pics better than her photographers! I know I sound like I'm pumping my own tires, but I guess I just captured more candid unposed shots than what her photographer did.