+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just posted this on another forum too so sorry if you're reading twice!
    i just got all our info about double emby transfer today and waiver form. It has really frightened us! Our FS has advised us not to have the transfer of two, saying we are early in the IVF game (this will be third transfer). The literature talks about marriage break ups, premature baby death, disabilites, risks to mother and baby....we really don't want twins, just want to increase chances of getting pregnant! We are all confused again now! I'm guessing we should err on the side of caution for one more transfer....I guess?! Geeeezzzz Louise!! Not easy this IVF path!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually wouldn't transfer two. I thought the research showed a double transfer didn't increase your chance of getting pregnant significantly, but did increase your chances of twins. And believe me, twins are cute, for about 10 minutes. Then it's just damn hard work, tough emotionally and physically. Always feeling like you can never give 100% to each baby is heartbreaking.
    I would listen to your doctors

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I actually wouldn't transfer two. I thought the research showed a double transfer didn't increase your chance of getting pregnant significantly, but did increase your chances of twins. And believe me, twins are cute, for about 10 minutes. Then it's just damn hard work, tough emotionally and physically. Always feeling like you can never give 100% to each baby is heartbreaking.
    thanks so much for your honesty. It's good to hear from someone living it. Yes, you're right if the embies are 5 day blasts, ours are 2 dayers so it is not hugely likely that both would end up being babies, but, there is that risk for sure. I hope you're getting the support you need. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou! It's ok, my terrors are 6 years old now, so it's slightly easier.

Best of luck for your upcoming transfer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thankyou! It's ok, my terrors are 6 years old now, so it's slightly easier.

Best of luck for your upcoming transfer.
    just a quick question, it's probably impossible to answer though....do you think you're experience was influenced by having to care for another child at the same time? As in your older child? It's interesting to me that most people who don't have twins say "I'd transfer 2" and those that do have twins seem to say "don't do it" which I know doesn't mean they don't adore them, they just see the reality more clearly ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Hi Blossom: As you can see from my signature, I've always transferred two from the get go (and I was around your age when I started IVF). I also transferred three for my last 2 cycles, the last one, as you can see, ending up with my BFP!!

Usually clinics/FS are more than happy to transfer 2 for women over 35 who have had more than a couple of transfer failures or like my clinic/FS at the time, advised the transfer of 2 straight off the bat due to age and the thought process that one emby"can help get the other across the line" so to speak.

Like you, we never wanted multiples and only ended up transferring 2/3 to only get one, but there is always a risk that you can end up with more albeit a very small risk depending on a few factors like your age and the quality of your embryo's. The age thing is pretty self explanatory for me and the fact our embryo's were always of an average quality no matter what day we transferred (exept the last cycle when they were above average, but definitely not "top drawer") also made the choice easier for us as these embryo's were created from my own eggs (if they were donor, a different story altogether).

If our embryo's had of been the highest graded so-called "perfect" looking, I definitely would not of transferred more than 2 in any cycle, but even then, the odds of them both taking would be very small as the chances of both of the embryo's being genetically normal would've been low due to age/quality of eggs (and sperm to a certain degree) with egg quality starting to take a huge nosedive after 35 and even worse from your late 30's/40 and onwards.

To put it into perspective, the live birth rate (read take baby home from the hospital rate which was the only statistic I was interested in) at my clinic for a 40 yr old women is approx. 11.4% (maybe a smidge higher looking at my FS individual rates), it wasn't much higher from memory when I was in my late 30's so that was another contributing factor for us as to why we always chose to have double and triple embryo transfers.

Good luck to you both and I hope you (and all the other lovely ladies still on the Godforsaken IVF train) get your BFP's asap!!! to you all!!
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 24-05-2014 at 06:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can appreciate your stance, but wouldn't that be the same if you have more than one child, as you still have to split your love and attention up between all of your children... You just happen to have two at the same age with twins. Just curious?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    I'm also curious as it obviously didn't stop you having two more children?? Were any of your children conceived via IVF/ART therapies just out of interest?? It definitely would've stopped me dead in my tracks that's for sure!!

Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 24-05-2014 at 08:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Hi Blossom: As you can see from my signature, I've always transferred two from the get go (and I was around your age when I started IVF). I also transferred three for my last 2 cycles, the last one, as you can see, ending up with my BFP!!

Usually clinics/FS are more than happy to transfer 2 for women over 35 who have had more than a couple of transfer failures or like my clinic/FS at the time, advised the transfer of 2 straight off the bat due to age and the thought process that one emby"can help get the other across the line" so to speak.

Like you, we never wanted multiples and only ended up transferring 2/3 to only get one, but there is always a risk that you can end up with more albeit a very small risk depending on a few factors like your age and the quality of your embryo's. The age thing is pretty self explanatory for me and the fact our embryo's were always of an average quality no matter what day we transferred (exept the last cycle when they were above average, but definitely not "top drawer") also made the choice easier for us as these embryo's were created from my own eggs (if they were donor, a different story altogether).

If our embryo's had of been the highest graded so-called "perfect" looking, I definitely would not of transferred more than 2 in any cycle, but even then, the odds of them both taking would be very small as the chances of both of the embryo's being genetically normal would've been low due to age/quality of eggs (and sperm to a certain degree) with egg quality starting to take a huge nosedive after 35 and even worse from your late 30's/40 and onwards.

To put it into perspective, the live birth rate (read take baby home from the hospital rate which was the only statistic I was interested in) at my clinic for a 40 yr old women is approx. 11.4% (maybe a smidge higher looking at my FS individual rates), it wasn't much higher from memory when I was in my late 30's so that was another contributing factor for us as to why we always chose to have double and triple embryo transfers.

Good luck to you both and I hope you (and all the other lovely ladies still on the Godforsaken IVF train) get your BFP's asap!!! to you all!!
    thanks hunny, so your FS was advising you to go with multiple? Ours is advising one which makes me think he must know something we don't ! Lol. I suspect we will go with one , as we can't really defrost 2 and then decide to not go with it if they both look good. We only will do transfers this year and then it's hoping off the IVF train and we have 7 snow babies left so the sensible thing will be to do SET for most of this year and a double towards the end of the year- if they all make the thaw that is! Double ET is more about speeding things up and wanting the BFP NOW!! When really we will know for sure by November either way By the way, how is your baby in utero going @BlondeinBrisvegas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yes Luv, he did advise that (he was my original FS and my current one advised 3 if we wanted to) and that was during the discussions we had before I even started Cycle 1. I wasn't expecting that myself and got a bit of a surprise when he said it as I just assumed it would be 1. He wanted to do 2xDay 2 transfer, but I wanted a Day 5 transfer if we had the embryo numbers and again, thought he would only agree to one, but he said 2 from the get go due to my age

I was reading on the other thread about wondering if you can refreeze embryo's once thawed, and I believe it is possible from what I've read although I have no experience of FET as none of our excess embryo's were ever of a good enough quality to freeze (except on our last Cycle when our Embryologist told us that he would've been happy to freeze them on Day 3 if we needed to for any reason). I'm hoping one of the other ladies who do have experience with refreezing embryo's will be able to help you out

7 frostie's is really good Luv and that's a good plan that you have. My little Bellybean is doing really well (we have a healthy little girl on board) and I'm almost 26 weeks now. So far so good We were very, very lucky to get her and we were only going to do one more Cycle if the last one didn't work then call it quits (we still had/have 1 vial of DP's frozen TESA'd sperm on ice). We couldn't of done it without the expertise of my FS and the all the lab staff as well at my clinic. I also learned a hell of a lot from many of the other ladies here on BH who have been kind enough to share their experiences and knowledge in conjunction with the hours upon hours of research I did myself since before we even started Cycle 1 and that I continued to do right up to and including my last Cycle.

Once again, to you Luv and here's to a BFP on your next transfer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blossom1 View Post
    thanks hunny, so your FS was advising you to go with multiple? Ours is advising one which makes me think he must know something we don't ! Lol. I suspect we will go with one , as we can't really defrost 2 and then decide to not go with it if they both look good. We only will do transfers this year and then it's hoping off the IVF train and we have 7 snow babies left so the sensible thing will be to do SET for most of this year and a double towards the end of the year- if they all make the thaw that is! Double ET is more about speeding things up and wanting the BFP NOW!! When really we will know for sure by November either way By the way, how is your baby in utero going @BlondeinBrisvegas