+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sewing machine constantly tangling - any experts here?

Does anyone know why my sewing machine would keep tangling the bottom (bobbin) thread & how to stop it?

I just had to take half the bottom of the machine apart to pull cotton out of the internal workings & now half the time it sews knots & the bottom thread is all greasy.

Just ruined my baby blanket *cries*

Im 99.9% sure I got all of the cotton out of the internal workings of it.

Its far from the first time its done this but usualky just removing the tangle & re-threading the bobbin fixes it.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by heartstringz; 21-05-2014 at 15:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is so annoying!!!

Maybe check you don't have to much cotton on your bobbin, I have found that it tangles if there is too much on there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your machine may need a service too!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you've cleaned all the fluff out and the bobbin is threaded properly, I'd try a new needle and then if it's not any better, it might need a few drops of oil.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When that happens to me it usually means the tension on the bobbin is wrong, so I wind a new bobbin. Sometimes I've also forgotten to put a thread somewhere on the machine for tension so if it's been a while since I've used the machine I usually go back and check the manual on threading just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

Tattereds  (21-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has it been serviced recently? Its very much worth having it serviced if its an older machine or hasnt been done in a while.

Otherwise I suggest looking at your tension.... was your baby blanket a different type of fabric/thickness/weight to things you usually sew?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry your baby blanket is damaged

Has it had a good clean/service lately? Is the needle blunt or do you need a different type for this fabric? Does the tension need to be readjusted?

These are the things I always check when this happens. Also even though I am a competent sewer on more than one occasion I've checked all of these things to then discover I just didn't have it threaded properly haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    If you do all that and it still doesn't work properly and don't want to have it serviced try googling instructions on how to service it yourself. But my bet would be inferior thread and bobbin not set properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies!

It is a pretty new machine, only a year or two old. I guess ill have to try & find somewhere to get it serviced that is open on weekends.

I will unwind some thread off the bobbin & see if it helps, but I previously sewed the rest of the blanket with the same bobbin with no problems.

Im reluctant to put more oil on it as it is already making the bottom thread oily/greasy half the time, dknt want it to make it any worse.

The blanket is just thin cotton with a lining - I havent sewed the lining at all yet, was just finishing off the hem, so the material shouldnt be the problem.

I'll have to get the manual out & look at the stuff about the tension. It worked fine for the rest of the blanket though & I havent changed anything so no idea why its suddenly not working now.

Its so frustrating! And about my blanket

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wonder if you are turning the knob a bit that pulls the needle or makes it move manually?
    When I stop sewing and lift the needle sometimes this bobbin thread does what you describe and if turn the knob manually to finish the stitch iykwim?? It usually works.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app