+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I actually found the OP incredibly *****y! Good on you Mrs Tickle for your eloquent response.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

Jensha  (25-02-2015),Mamasupial  (14-12-2014),Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like the Mum needs a little empathy OP. She is looking for someone to turn to, not someone who thinks she asks stupid questions.

Maybe you two just don't really get along well?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for that @Mrs Tickle
    I remember reading this thread and worrying because my ds (who was the same age) was no where near reading level..

I'm always the mum that worries about various parenting stuff but thankfully all the mothers I've come into contact with are kind and compassionate like Mrs Tickle and reassure me whenever I need it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with today's responses.
    My son was doing well at the start of the year and then struggled as time went by.
    We had a meeting with his teacher about what we could do to help at home and he has improved 100% since we've taken on some home work.
    But...I was in that other mothers position at one point.
    I was really worried about why he wasn't taking anything in.
    We found out it was a combination of factors that were contributing to his lack of attention and we got on it ( wish we spotted it sooner ) and it's worked out really well for him.

I'd hate to think I was being discussed like the OP has here for sharing information in the school yard. Don't we all chat about our children to each other.
    Isn't that how we learn about our children too?

Anyway, just had a quick search through your (OP) previous posts as I didn't recognise your username and they're all generally about the same thing.
    It's no accident your child is ahead at kindy so give other mothers a break!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really hope that the mum being referred to isn't a member of this forum.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybub For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I don't ever bubhub stalk people but I had to in this occasion and I'm horrified at the attitude of the OP.

OP you were in this exact space last year worried about his development yet here you are hoping someone with the same struggles would stop talking to you about it.

So either your DS came on in leaps and bounds over that year and the mum knows this and wants the same outcome or you are saying he's at a level he's not and using the thread to brag...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-12-2014),Mamasupial  (14-12-2014),Meld85  (14-12-2014),Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mrs Tickle I mostly agreed with your post but have to disagree about learning sight words. I am a trained reading recovery teacher and sight words are necessary to learn as they form the "footholds in print" as Marie Clay (reading recovery guru) would say. These are words that cannot be decoded and that children need to remember by sight. They also help a child to gain meaning from what they are reading and work out unknown words. I didn't want people to read that and think that learning sight words isn't necessary because I believe it is.

You don't need to sit and teach your child lists of words, that's boring and they'll never remember them. Make it fun and incidental - if your child is having trouble remembering the word "you", when you are reading to them say "oh look I can see that word you've been trying to learn, can you find it?" and get them to frame it with their fingers. There are so many more fun things you can do. Learning sight words is important I believe.

OT but I couldn't go past that 😊

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014),Stretched  (14-12-2014),Tamtam  (14-12-2014),TheTimeHasCome  (27-12-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Chippa I was just about to write something similar. I totally agree with all of that post except the sight words part. They are by definition words that have to be learned by sight because they can't be sounded. I think what Mrs Tickle is referring to is the 'whole word' approach where learning get phonics and sounding out was out of fashion for a while, whereas the best way to learn is a combination of sight and sound depending on the child's learning style.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (14-12-2014),Starfish30  (23-12-2014),Tamtam  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Mrs Tickle I mostly agreed with your post but have to disagree about learning sight words. I am a trained reading recovery teacher and sight words are necessary to learn as they form the "footholds in print" as Marie Clay (reading recovery guru) would say. These are words that cannot be decoded and that children need to remember by sight. They also help a child to gain meaning from what they are reading and work out unknown words. I didn't want people to read that and think that learning sight words isn't necessary because I believe it is.
    Pre service teacher here, so being trained with the newest info and this is right on. We use Clay as well. Yes memorisation on its own isn't the way to read, but children in the first year or two use lots of techniques to read. Sounding out, memorisation, re-reading and checking meaning, guessing are all part of a valid repertoire.

As to the OP, agree with Mrs Tickle.
    Last edited by delirium; 14-12-2014 at 09:47.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (14-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes well said Mrs tickle.
    On most points.
    However, we don't know the full scenario of the situation. There are always competitive parents out there and it can be full on in some schools. I've seen this first hand as a teacher of more than 15 years. I feel empathy for both sides of this story. The OP may not want to discuss her child's achievements and also may not want to make the other mum feel bad. As it's only kindy too I can understand this OP Not wanting it to escalate.
    Also. ..I take great offense to your point about literacy not being taught well in schools. Huge generalization. I have friends who are amazing prep/early childhood teachers. I fact. ... , dare I say it, the early childhood teachers who teach those early skills are very well equipped and have much success with their students. Often much better teachers than some in the upper years.... eek...I did say it. It takes quite a dedicated teacher to impart those early skills.
    As a pp said, sight words and those early skills are very important.
    OP I wonder how you ended up dealing with this situation? Has it resolved?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (14-12-2014),Mrs Tickle  (14-12-2014)