+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fondant covered cake - how early can I make?

I'm attempting a fondant covered cake for DD1's birthday and want to allow myself as much time as possible to complete it. I'm using a Cake Art mud cake mix and was wondering how fqr in advance I can bake it without it going dry/yucky.

Her party is on a Sunday night so was hoping to bake Wednesday late arvo/evening, leave to cool overnight, ganache Thursday, Fondant Friday (or Thursday if possible). This will allow me an extra day on Saturday in case I have any problems and leave me free on her actual birthday to spend the day with her and not getting stressed out over the cake.

Is it too early to bake Wednesday? I don't really want to bake and freeze in advance as Ibdon't have much freezer room. Any other tips?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did pretty much what you described on advice of cake baking hubbers!!
    I made mud cake Wednesday and put it in the freezer.
    I also made the buttercream (instead of ganache) and froze that. Then on friday I did the fondant etc...and left it in the cake box on the bench. It was perfect.
    Don't put it in the fridge it will dry out. And once you've done the fondant leave it at room temperature.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

2giraffes  (21-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did that timeframe with a buttercake with no issues. I also used buttercream and put it in the fridge after that, but took it out and returned it to room temperature before covering in fondant so it would not 'sweat' (get condensation forming on the outside).

The only issue could be that ganache is made with cream. A quick google says it can be stored at room temperature for 2 days. Buttercream can be at room temperature for much longer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

2giraffes  (21-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I really want to give myself as much time as possible so its reassuring that others have done the same with no trouble.

I would hate to spend hours making the cake look nice, then it being dry and horrible to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2giraffes View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I really want to give myself as much time as possible so its reassuring that others have done the same with no trouble.

I would hate to spend hours making the cake look nice, then it being dry and horrible to eat.
    Just be sure to not put your mud cake in the fridge. It will dry out. Freezer is good though. Plus if you need to cut/trim the sides to make it flat is really easy when it's frozen.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

2giraffes  (21-05-2014)