+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Because some idiot called Andrew Wakefield decided to make up research about MMR causing autism because he was being paid by a legal company who was representing parents who believed their children were harmed by the MMR, to conduct the study. There's also some talk that he was also developing a rival vaccine (which of course would have made a fortune), but I don't know if that was ever proven.

The original study only involved 12 children, but these parents were recruited through anti-MMR campaigns.
    Wakefield was guilty of falsifying data to prove his theory.
    He was also found guilty of abusing disabled children as he subjected them to invasive procedures that he wasn't supposed to perform.
    He was apparently in partnership with the father of one of the children planning to produce and sell "autistic enterecolitis" diagnostic kits, which he predicted would make a fortune off the back of the MMR vax scare he'd created.
    He's been stricken off and is not allowed to practice medicine in the UK.
    He's a despicable man.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-05-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (20-05-2014),wannawannabe  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally90 View Post
    If there was never a link why did people believe there was?
    Because one little drop of fear is much more powerful than an ocean of truth. Science will never convince people with an illogical and entrenched view that they are wrong.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-05-2014),beebs  (20-05-2014),JR03  (20-05-2014),Nomia  (20-05-2014),PurpleButterfly4  (20-05-2014),Wise Enough  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry didn't see that! Will go and check it out.
    Don't be sorry. It's where I started the thread that it got no hits I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yet another study proving there is NO link... but it still won't be a strong enough study for some people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Wakefield was guilty of falsifying data to prove his theory.
    He was also found guilty of abusing disabled children as he subjected them to invasive procedures that he wasn't supposed to perform.
    He was apparently in partnership with the father of one of the children planning to produce and sell "autistic enterecolitis" diagnostic kits, which he predicted would make a fortune off the back of the MMR vax scare he'd created.
    He's been stricken off and is not allowed to practice medicine in the UK.
    He's a despicable man.
    I actually think I read an article on him a while back. I remember thinking what a vial human being he is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually think I read an article on him a while back. I remember thinking what a vial human being he is.
    Yes, a surgeon and medical researcher who exploited and abused disabled children, falsified data, caused a scare that mean thousands of parents didn't vaccinate their kids, planned to make millions off the scare by selling diganostic kits for a disease he invented and the kicker is that some of those not vaxxed because of his engineered scare have since been caught up in outbreaks in the UK- he's got blood on his hands" how does he sleep at night, I wonder

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-05-2014),wannawannabe  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    Because one little drop of fear is much more powerful than an ocean of truth. Science will never convince people with an illogical and entrenched view that they are wrong.
    Couldn't agree more. DD and DS are both vaccinated, but I have to be honest that I did have doubts. Fear is an extraordinarily powerful thing, and it doesn't help that the professionals in this area have less power than celebrity/ personalities who advertise their choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Plus add a celebrity to the mix of telling people that vaccines cause austism and people believed it.

I would love to see what the anti vaxxers think of the article and research.

Sent from my GT-P5220 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Someone on the AVN Facebook page has called it a scam ("It's just a study of studies done by Big Pharma")

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    Someone on the AVN Facebook page has called it a scam ("It's just a study of studies done by Big Pharma")
    The studies run into the thousands. Yeah, they are all scams and Wakefield's "study" where it was conclusively proven beyond reasonable doubt that he falsified the data- that one's legit. It's never, ever been replicated, it got him stricken off and charged- but it's totally the one to believe. Geez

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (20-05-2014),beebs  (20-05-2014),Lillynix  (20-05-2014),sky1  (20-05-2014),Wise Enough  (20-05-2014)