+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Sick kids and playgrounds

What would you do? Am I over cautious or is hubby being flippant?

Ds1 toddler is home sick from daycare today. He is coughing and sounds a croakey but there is no snot. I think he is at the tail end of a cold as he had a runny nose last week.

I was pondering what to do with ds1 today and Hubby said I should take him to the park (outdoor playground). I replied I can't do that as he is sick. Hubby replied "no one else will be there." My response: "his germy hands will be all over the equipment!." Hubby: "he is probably not contagious anymore."

?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't take him because he is sick, but I would say his germs will probably mingle with the eleventy bakjillion germs that are probably already partying on that equipment.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Id take him, I wouldnt encourage playing with other kids but perhaps you can take a ball for him to kick around or something?

There would already be so so many germs on the playground equipment as it is.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't take him, its not fair on other kids that come along and play on that same equipment then pick up your child's illness. I took my son to a park last week and overheard a mum saying her twin boys didn't go to daycare that day cause they were sick but yet here they were coughing and had snotty noses playing on everything and with other children, i went over and got my son and left with him in hysterics of course cause he had only been there ten minutes, nothing bugs me more than inconsiderate parents.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Angels4me For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Id take him, I wouldnt encourage playing with other kids but perhaps you can take a ball for him to kick around or something?

There would already be so so many germs on the playground equipment as it is.

Good idea... I could take him to the oval and let him kick a ball. There are never any kids on the oval during the day and he won't be touching anything..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is he going stir-crazy? If so I would take him. If he's at the tail end of a cold he's probably not contagious.

If he doesn't *need* to get out, I would keep him home, but only for the fact that he would probably feel better quicker with a nice rest day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Angels4me View Post
    I wouldn't take him, its not fair on other kids that come along and play on that same equipment then pick up your child's illness. I took my son to a park last week and overheard a mum saying her twin boys didn't go to daycare that day cause they were sick but yet here they were coughing and had snotty noses playing on everything and with other children, i went over and got my son and left with him in hysterics of course cause he had only been there ten minutes, nothing bugs me more than inconsiderate parents.
    It's definitely inconsiderate to let your sick child play with other children but the equipment I dont really see a huge problem with...(and thats coming from a mother of a child with issues with his immune system). Everywhere you go, there are germs on things -shopping trolleys, hand rails, supermarkets etc. Unless a parent is encouraging their sick kid to play with others, if the playground is empty, i see no issue.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (20-05-2014),Me&Smooches  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was a quiet park and no one else was there I would take him

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's pretty extreme to stay home just for a cold. I still go to the supermarket or to work when I have a very mild cold and touch shopping trolleys, train seats etc.

The world is full if germs, as long as you don't go out of your way to cough on somebody's face, I wouldn't call this inconsiderate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go to quiet park no problem