+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fussy 16 month old help!!!

Ok heres the problem: my ds wont eat anything made for him except nuggets and sausages but now he has started going off that but will always happily eat yoghurt or custard. He used to be such a great eater. Now another problem to add: we dont eat as a family as what my partner and i eat ds cant have due to spiciness or certain ingredients so i always have to make ds something separate and am running out of ideas of what he would like thats healthy and fairly cheap to make as my partner and i are on pensions. Also he has 3x210ml bottles a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds has about 100mls milk before bed in a cup per day that's it. Would u consider cutting down on milk? Maybe it's filling him up? My ds is 16mths too and going through a fussy stage. I get multi vitamins Into him (pentavite) when he is like this. He also likes the baby food pouches of purée. I figure, At least he is eating something!
    we also eat a lot of spag Bol and casseroles. Home made fish patties. Pasta. Anything with pasta seems to be a hit for ds. Basically anything he can eat/handle by his self.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 19-05-2014 at 23:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    600ml is a lot so as pp said I would cut down on the milk - what exactly do you guys eat?
    It's really important at this age to show your DS how wonderful food is but if he never sees you eat and enjoy it then he also can't learn too either so can't you just add extra spices after you've taken out his portion of what you are having ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We eat mainly chow mein, butter chicken, satay chicken, bangers and mash and other times we have our own frozen stuff like ill have a frozen packeted lasagne and dh will just have nuggets. It gets to me some days as dh will not be in the mood to cook and say lets just have something out of the freezer but ill say no and say ill cook but he keeps asking me and i dont want to argue so i say ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also do you still spoon feed your bub or do u let them eat with their fingers? Like for example how would you let bub eat spaghetti?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS has been eating butter chicken since he was 8 months old ! It's a great curry for toddlers - I just add extra chilli to ours after I've taken out his portion - chow mein is also good as long as you watch the sauce ingredients. ( salt)
    Satay is also great for kids - we do chicken or prawn satay

I would try ditch the frozen food, nuggets and chips are highly addictive to kids. ( salt and preservatives ) so avoid them at all costs until he's older - pan fried fish/chicken/steak and steamed veggies takes 10 minutes to cook or make a big batch of homemade lasagna and freeze it ( a lot cheaper than buying frozen )

These first few years will set the scene on your sons love/ ideas on food and at this age he should be trying a huge variety of food so don't be afraid to give him what you have!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

mummytomy2boysxxx  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did BLW so my DS has been eating spaghetti since he was. 8 months old - just put it on his tray , cover the floor in plastic and let him go for it. ! At 16 months he should be feeding himself , this will also help with letting him discover different tastes and textures

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its hard atm to find new things to eat for us and him as we are on a very tight budget and ds and dh are very fussy especially with their veggies, we cant afford steak or fish its hard enough affording chicken and we only get one 500g pack a f/n its driving me insane! I dont want ds to grow up on **** food but atm i cant afford much more as natural stuff is getting more expensive by the day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know its tough but frozen food is not cheap really when you work it out - all butchers and fish shops have specials as do the fruit shops - I don't shop at supermarkets but they always have sales on plus if you stop making separate meals for your DS you will instantly save money!

you can buy a whole fresh chicken quite cheap and maybe cut it up so use the breast for maybe snitzel, the thighs for your butter chicken and the rest you could roast and add veggies and rice and you have 3 dinners from 1 x $10 chicken - or buy mince on sale for your lasagna and spaghetti and meatballs and tacos or if you can buy cheap fish - for $10 you could get a kilo of white fish fillets at most seafood shops ( they always have basa or flake ) you could do fish tacos or homemade fish fingers or fish burgers - don't give up on trying to find fresh food - it's really important for your son , there are some really great recipes that won't cost you a lot and if you meal plan it's even easier!

As for your DH he's a grown man - he needs to set an example for his son, so maybe try have a chat and explain to him how important these first few years are in setting your son up loving fresh healthy food
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 20-05-2014 at 00:46.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

debsch  (20-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Unfortunately you might have to rethink food time all together, kids learn by imitation he's going to want to eat what you're eating. If I want to eat something my kids can't have I'll eat it when they've gone to sleep and will make extra of their meal so DH and I can sit an have some of it so to make it look like we're all eating the same thing.
    i would have a riot on my hands if I was serving different foods! lol
    Id say keep offering different foods I found at that age they go through phases and also teething can really affect what they eat, if he doesn't want anything but soft foods try mash potatoes loaded with veggies or soup.