+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 30 weeks and relocating

Hello everyone, I'm currently 30 weeks with my second bub and getting ready to relocate to Geelong from America. Super big move! I was hoping to link up with some moms in the area and also maybe get a hand navigating how things work there. I also have a very active 2 year old and I'd love to link up with some playgroups for him.

I was trying to line up some newborn photography, but the only photgraphers I could find are incredibly expensive! Here we use a place called Flashpoint in the mall and can get a great photosession with prints for $50-$60, but everything there is in the $400 range. Am I just missing the more affordable studios? We have the high priced studios here too, I'm just hoping for something a little less pricey.

Also, I was wondering about kids shoes. My son wears Striderite's now and I'd like to keep him in those or pedipeds. Are there any stores in Geelong that carry those brands and does anyone know how much they run?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow! That's a huge move.

I'm not in VIC, just wanted to say welcome to bubhub

Good luck with the move.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome to Bubhub! Im on the other side of Australia so cant help with your questions srry. Just wanted to say hi

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys! It is a huge move. I'm a little nervous about so many adjustments at once, but we'll muddle along. Nice to meet you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi! I'm an American, married to an Australian that is from Geelong and we just moved from Melbourne to London in October when I was 25 weeks pregnant so I can definitely relate! Do you know where you'll be living in Geelong? I haven't lived there but my husband's family are all there so I know it pretty well.

Do you know what you will be doing for healthcare and your pregnancy? Private or public? If you want to PM me I can try to answer your questions in regards to the difference in healthcare compared to the states. Australia has a great public and private system so you'll be well taken care of either way.

As far as shoes. If you definitely want those brands then I suggest going on their website and looking up their international stockists. Otherwise there are plenty of proper kids brands and children's shoe shops with brands like Clark, etc. there's one in Melbourne I can direct you to if you have a hard time finding something in Geelong.

Enjoy Australia! It's a great country and I'm already ready to move back!

Where are you from in the States? Why Geelong?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As far as photographers... There's a Westfield's in Geelong, maybe google that and see if there's a photography studio in there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I live in Geelong and can tell you that Westfield don't have a photograph studio and finding a photographer can take a bit of time. A lot of photographers advertise on Facebook offering mini shoots with images on disc/usb for you to print.
    As for the shoes as pp said you would be best checking their international stockists, it may be that you can get them in Melbourne not Geelong.
    With playgroup, there are so many around in the suburbs. It may be worthwhile waiging to see where you settle and contact the Maternal Child Health Centre who should be able to give you information. Alternatively the libraries do story time which can be great to link in with other Mum's and children.
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
    Ehen do you move?
    Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I moved from North Qld to Geelong when i was 36 weeks pregnant with my first, so not quite as big a move as you!! But i know what its like to have no friends around and not know your way around town!

Happy to answer any questions or anything. I'm now expecting our second and will be having him or her at Geelong hospital again (public).

As for the photography bit, i agree about finding a lesser known local photog and having a mini shoot with them. Some girls in my mothers group used a lady down at Barwon Heads i'll see if i can find her name for you

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    @jmgar the photographer i am thinking of is called "Natalie M" and she does maternity, newborn, kids & families. If you google her you'll find her. She often runs specials for mini sessions on her facebook page (around $50-100AUD)

Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using The Bub Hub mobile app

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    wow - what a huge move.

I am on the other side of Aus, so cant help much .. but wish you the best