+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Electric breast pump help

Hi all,

My sister is having her 2nd baby soon and I wanted to get her a decent breast pump as a gift. I know it's a bit of a weird gift, but she can't afford a decent pump and I know she had a lot of issues breast feeding with her last child.

Anyway, I need to find an electric breast pump for her as she tried a manual one and said it was rubbish.

I have been looking for mum blogger reviews for breast pumps, and have really struggled to find anything. This is about the only half decent one I found (http://babystuff.tips/best-breast-pump-reviews/) but I wanted some feedback from people here on the forum, as most sites seem to be dedicated to just selling pumps and not so much the actual end user experience.

I also had a quick look on BubHub and assumed there would be something in the way of breast pump reviews from real people, but I can't seem to find anything

I want to try and order a pump in the next week if possible, so any help would be really appreciated. My wife didn't need a pump so she also isn't sure what the best pump is to buy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I use an avent electric pump and found it the best for me. I tried manual and they weren't great and unimom was alright but not amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look at the spectra dew. It's a fantastic pump at a great price. It's quiet but very powerful. I was able to exclusively pump for my premmie bub thank to this pump. It's a double so I could get twice the milk in half the time. I also bought a pumping bra and it was a lifesaver.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Spectra or unimom are both great brands with closed systems so milk can't flow into the machine and cause mould contamination. For that reason I would avoid medela.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried the avent manual pump as well and I too found it not too good. I prefer the medela pump, you can either get the mini electric or swing, depending on your price tag. I would get mini if its to supplement, but swing if it's frequent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Spectra or unimom are both great brands with closed systems so milk can't flow into the machine and cause mould contamination. For that reason I would avoid medela.
    This. Although I had some issues with customer service at unimom the pump was excellent and reasonably priced.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are all so amazing - thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive been using the avent comfort electric and rate it. Its on the cheaper end of the scale (about $190 at chemist warehouse) but does the trick.

Eta-I chose this one not knowing anything about feeding. I had heard through work (via the lactation consultants), that the Avent Natural teats were the closest to the real thing.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 20-05-2014 at 19:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I pumped exclusively for 9.5 months and the most effective pump by far was the hospital grade medela pumps which you can hire from chemists. Perhaps you could hire one rather than purchasing?