+ Reply to Thread
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Question DS talks loudly all the time.

DS is 7 next month and talks at a loud volume, all the time. As in, when ever he talks the volume is always higher than any other child. (He also talks non-stop but that's a different issue.) He's had his hearing tested when he was a newborn, when he was 2.5 and about a year ago by audiology students who came to his school. (He has had a severe speech delay hence the hearing tests.)

Has anyone experienced anything like this? It's driving us insane! My day is constantly punctuated by telling him to talk more quietly. After the 15th time I tend to get a bit short tempered.

Experiences anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is it normal in your family to talk loudly? Not meaning to be rude but some folks are just loud (my family) and that drives DH nuts. Now my girls also talk really loudly....

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh my you have just described my 7 1/2 DS (including the non stop talking!). We had an auditory processing assessment which came back clear except he doesn't like background noise which personally I find quite normal as I can't stand it either and nor can DH. He also had a hearing test as he failed the school test but it turned out he had an ear infection during the school test and passed the second test fine.

I am finding him in general to be a complete handful! Between the loud talking/yelling, non stop talking, jumping around everywhere, I could go on. He is driving me beyond insane!

Sorry not really helpful

ETA: I sometimes talk loudly without meaning to so others tell me, when I get a bit worked or passionate about a topic I tend to get loud.
    Last edited by ICanDream; 19-05-2014 at 19:40.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Is it normal in your family to talk loudly? Not meaning to be rude but some folks are just loud (my family) and that drives DH nuts. Now my girls also talk really loudly....
    That's ok.
    I don't think we talk loudly.
    What I'm thinking is that for some reason his hearing tests haven't picked up a hearing issue which may have started the speech delay.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I would definitely recommend another hearing test. Does he respond if you speak to him from behind/in another room?

Otherwise, you might just have a loud kid on your hands...

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My sister is VERY loud. We call her foghorn. Forever saying "quieten down foghorn" to her and she is 26! Hearing is fine she's just so dang loud.

Her kids are exactly the same now

God help us all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have any useful suggestions, but I have come across quite a few students (high school kids) like this. The couple in particular I'm thinking of atm just don't seem to realise how loudly they're talking. Hearing appears to be fine, but they have to really concentrate in order to keep their volume low. As soon as they're not focusing on that, volume goes RIGHT up again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I think some people are just like this - thinking of one of DH's friends in particular. Hate him coming round after kids are in bed as he just can't keep his volume down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im a very loud talker. Have been all my life id say...ive always liked being the center of attention. Got worse from years of working in loud kitchens and having to speak load to be heard. Now i work in a much quieter kitchen and i really have to concentrate to talk softer.

Some people are just loud talkers