+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dealing with difficult parents (as a teacher)

Hi everyone,

I am just chasing some ideas for what people do to deal with difficult parents..I am a teacher, I love my job and class, I won't say where I am but anyway moving on. I have had a rather rough day (not as rough as some of course) with a child/ parent in my class. This child has gone home ( on a number of occasions) a told flat out lies about what myself and other kids have 'done' to this child. I am never given the opportunity to defend myself or even discuss these issues with the child before his Mum comes ranting and raging to see the principal and been has tried to get me fired before. Te child is apparently 'scared' to tell me the issue because I 'protect' the other child...completely untrue. I apply my classroom rules the same with every child and am extremely approachable.

Sorry for the rant, I am just sick of this parent treating me like garbage. Any suggestions on what I can do? My stomach has been churning all day, I bend over backwards for this child and this is what they do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What does your Principal say? Can the child be moved?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is the principal on your side? Have they made any suggestions on how to cope?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My principal is fantastic. Sadly no, he can't be moved, I am in a 2teacher school, one being me and the other the principal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the principle able to sit in on one of your classes to observe what happens?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisaandshaun For This Useful Post:

Katvee  (19-05-2014),VicPark  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    As your employer, what are your schools policies and procedures on this particular issue? I would say that you aren't the first teacher that this has ever happened to and I would even go as far as saying that this is probably a very common issue. If I were in your situation I would
    - Take the issue to my superior to see what their opinion on the matter is.
    - Familiarise myself with the schools policies and procedures so that if the parent comes again and accuses you of doing something improper again you can (with confidence) refer her to the policies and procedures that your school follows regarding complaints.
    - Relax. You've done nothing wrong. Don't punish the child for the adults behaviour and be at peace with the fact that if this child goes home and tells lies no matter how kindly you treat them they will probably continue to do this. Just continue to treat the child exactly as you do all your students.
    - This parent may be bullying you. Take the issue to your superior or the principal. The school might have some support for you in place in case something like this happens.

Good luck OP! Let us know how you go.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Things For This Useful Post:

Katvee  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She teaches the other class, nope. Sometimes he just goes home and makes things up with no warning whatsoever today was like that, completely blindsided.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Your prin needs to be the buffer every time, especially in such a small school.

Keep notes in your diary about any interactions with the child that you may see as problematic. Basically anything outside explicit instruction.

What is the child like? Do you get on? Have you developed a rapport? Are they very ahead or behind their peers?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Katvee  (19-05-2014),Oblena  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly with difficult parents I would keep lots of notes and anecdotal records of everything. ... Also keep emsils and any minutes of meetings.
    I always try to make the first move to resolve situations like this with the support of the deputy or principal. . Depending who usually handles this stuff.
    It's best to get everything on the table and clear the air. But only with a support person.
    Always make sure you have notes of incidents and interactions so you can give specific examples.
    And try to take the lead in the discussion but allow for the parent to speak and share their concerns.
    If the parent is unable to do that without reasonable behavior then end the meeting and is up to the principal to deal with it I think. They should protect you and support you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Katvee  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    Your prin needs to be the buffer every time, especially in such a small school.

Keep notes in your diary about any interactions with the child that you may see as problematic. Basically anything outside explicit instruction.

What is the child like? Do you get on? Have you developed a rapport? Are they very ahead or behind their peers?
    Good idea Quite a likeable child, they bounce up to tell me things that are happening to then that are good, bad, exciting, certainly not terrified behaviour. Yes we have a good rapport, they have been in my class for 3 years this year. About average academically, used to be good but nw exhibiting high absenteeism as they get away with it.