+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Morality is not black and white. If the choice is steal or die (which is the inevitable outcome of starvation), then stealing is right. A society that places the sanctity of property above the sanctity of life is morally bankrupt.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nattherat For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-05-2014),FearlessLeader  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (19-05-2014),Mokeybear  (19-05-2014),OurLittleBlessing  (19-05-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014),TimeForWine  (19-05-2014),wrena  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm one that would do everything else first.
    Bakeries have left over bread they donate fresh Vegi markets have almost spoiled they chuck it.
    There are options but if they are all used up then yes I would steel for my kids.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is still wrong, however I think it is doing wrong for the right reasons, if that makes sense?

I hope I'm never put in that situation. I can imagine it would be incredibly difficult to be faced with that kind of decision. I agree with PP's that have said they would do anything for their kids. If I was ever that desperate, I would make sure my children were not aware I was stealing to feed them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would probably approach all agencies I could think of, ask at restaurants if I could do dishes for food or dumpster dive. But who knows what we actually do if we were really starving...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I once saw a woman with a loaded shopping trolley just walk through an empty check out. Someone called out to the checkout operators, but by the time they gave chase, I guess she was long gone. They came back with just a half cauliflower that must have fallen out. Who knows what the situation is, but there but the grace of god go I.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trio For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nattherat View Post
    Morality is not black and white. If the choice is steal or die (which is the inevitable outcome of starvation), then stealing is right. A society that places the sanctity of property above the sanctity of life is morally bankrupt.

My my great great great (multiple greats) grandfather was shipped out to this country on the first fleet as a convict for stealing a loaf of bread. This country was built on that kind of morality!

PS it does not run in the family!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (19-05-2014),OurLittleBlessing  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's ok if it's for essentials. Like milk and bread but if it was for lollies or chocolate I'd say it's wrong. For me it also depends on y they have no money.... But I won't go further with that as I may upset some people

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think in this country it is a scenario that people would find themselves in unless there are other issues that they are not controlling effectively.
    I have to disagree with you, knowing of several women who even though they are working, being put onto Newstart often doesn't leave them enough to keep them in a house, let alone in food. They are low income earners, and sometimes have just $100 per fortnight for food. Other times nothing.

Parenting payments were often what kept people eating etc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Agreed. Great post.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree this is a great post. Wow, what a good way to put it. Much food for though (no pun intended lol)