Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have had to supply our HECS debt info with our mortgage application

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I don't agree with many of the cuts to assistance for low income earners, students, people out of work etc & the new budget will only affect me indirectly (eg: when my unborn child reaches uni age) have any of you spared a thought for what is going to happen to our health & welfare system in 10-20 years time when we face a huge demographic shift & the baby boomer generation hit retirement, claim the pension & require more health services esp. Aged care? The shiz is really going to hit the fan & I for one would like to see some sensible long term planning from whatever party is in power but nobody seems to care. I honestly do not think Medicare or the aged pension will exist by the time I retire & it makes me angry that all anyone seems to care about is now - what about our future? I wish I had the answer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Midwestgirl80  (24-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @rosey82 I think it is the inequality of it all that upsets people the most.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (24-05-2014),Podamonster  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has multiple health issues so the extra $6 on prescriptions and the GP co-payment will impact us. Probably an extra $20-30 per month (no health care card). That's not a huge deal on its own, but the petrol price increase will hit us hard too.

The cuts to hospital and education funding will impact on all of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Won't affect us greatly. I don't go to bulk billing drs so an extra $7 is not a big deal for us.

My main gripe is the cuts to education. My kids r just getting to school age so this worries me. They will go to catholic schools but I can't possibly understand why such large cuts to education funding are necessary. Plus funding for the introduction of Chaplains??? Crazy. And I will honestly say I am a 'churchy' but this still sounds stupid.

But I don't think a labor government would be any better anyway. They'd tax us in some other way.

The standard of politicians in this country and the way they behave on all sides of politics is abhorrent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure if it's been mentioned of not...

It looks like low income earners will lose concessions on power bills etc

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/money/...#ixzz32BbQ5gtb

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    have any of you spared a thought for what is going to happen to our health & welfare system in 10-20 years time when we face a huge demographic shift & the baby boomer generation hit retirement, claim the pension & require more health services esp. Aged care?

Yep. I agree that we need changes, but I don't see how the current approach is sound policy. My thoughts - and I'm not the expect that government advisors should be - would be:

1. Change our approach to health care. Focus on prevention and primary care, and make limits on what we'll spend on extending life. It's harsh, and I'm sure it won't happen for that reason. The reality is that that's where most of our health money goes.

2. Cut superannuation tax concessions. The majority of the money in those tax concessions goes to those on very high incomes. They're the ones who will be most able to support themselves, and least likely to be taking a full pension anyway. At the very least, staggered concessions with means testing. It'd massively cut expenses without adding to future pension costs if you got the levels right.

3. Get rid of negative gearing. Again, it'd be too unpopular to actually happen but you'd get a lot more revenue to put into basic services rather than individuals' pockets.

Edit:
    4. Use EVIDENCE-BASED policy to encourage more people into the work force, to up the tax base. Cheaper child-care, easier access to vocational re-training etc.
    Last edited by Renn; 19-05-2014 at 15:59.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, I've just written a letter to my local MP to express my distaste for the proposed budget. That's a first for me! (the letter writing that is)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me the budget if it goes thru will mean im very tight financially.

Im trying not to stress and just wait and see what actually gets thru.

What worries me the most is that my living expenses will increase even more and I do not have the incoming atm to cover it.

As it is I try to hold out on dr visits as theres no bulk billing. So $60 per visit with approx $36 back. Then any prescriptions on top. I do have a hcc however id guess 25% of my prescriptions havent been covered under this. So for example last week DS had dr app $24 out of pocket, then blood test (free atm but soon to be $7), then back to dr for test results another $24 out of pocket and $36 for prescription. That same week DD who is entitled to zero benefits had dr appointment (bulk billed thankfully) then blood test ($7 soon) then 3 prescriptions costing $48. That was a bad week but I had to just find it. What else do I do, let them go without necessary medical care.
    What annoys me is I actually pay phi. Its a luxury to many but I truly believe its necessary.
    On the subject of drs and bulk billing etc. Did you know that in Canberra I came across a system where a family pays approx $250 per year to access unlimited dr apps bulk billed. It also covers some mental health visits etc. Ill try to find the website again. I tried to find a system like that in nsw and theres nothing

Then I think about things like, my fuel bill will increase (even $10 a week adds up) grocery costs will no doubt increase. On top of that federal government is basically backing state governments into a corner of having to increase gst due to education and health cuts.

Ive read on other forums people saying that we should all have 6 months living expenses in savings? Really ill pull that from my *** shall I? Ive also read that we should all have income protection insurance. Apart from it being expensive I believe most policies have strict criteria to be paid. For example 75% of your income paid after a waiting period of 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    The biggest thing for us will be the family tax benefit B, but we will get the 'school age' allowance instead.

The payment of $750 per year for ages 6 to 12 is only for single parents, to help them out due to losing Tax benefit B . In your post you talk about DH, which would mean you wouldn't get it.