+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    This post broke my heart :-(
    Me three. Tears.

I'm not sure to what extent we will be effected by this budget. I know we will but most likely biggest impact will be from the petrol rises, goods/services increases resulting and from the rise itself. On my work days I drive at least 120km's. If I want to do a food shop it's at least 50km.

Aside from that I am terrified about it kicking those who are down. I see far to many of the already disadvantaged through work and just can't imagine how much worse this will make it for them. I can't imagine deciding on food or a drs visit for my children.

I'm also surprised at those who think its a good thing as they won't be effected so surely it's just those who are scamming and bludging that will be impacted.

Its just been making me sad since I heard about it. I didn't vote this govt in but I'm ashamed of what they are doing to our country.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (19-05-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    I used this little app they had - it told me there would be no change for our circumstances. So, the fact that we will no longer receive FTB; our children be applicable for free dental; pay more for petrol; work 5 years longer before being eligible for pension; have sub-par schooling for our children; pay more for doctor visits, scripts and any other medical visits; have insanely high prices for tertiary education means nothing. OP, this is Murdoch press. Murdoch press are blatantly pro Abbott/LNP and this app is very much a reflection of this. It has been programmed to give a favorable result, not an objective result. Moreover, it's not just about "how it affects me", it's "how it affects all Australians and helps the most amount of people possible to live to their full potential and contribute to society".

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (19-05-2014),FrothyFrog  (19-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (19-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),Laydeebugxxx  (19-05-2014),Maia  (19-05-2014),mel04  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014),Tainted  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've hung around in the single parent section for many years and common threads that pop up from time to time are "how did you afford to leave" or "how do I budget on a low income" etc, knowing that they are going from a somewhat financially supported role down to one. I wonder how many people won't leave bad situations because the reality under this proposed system that they might not be able to afford to.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maia For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is pretty much how I feel, it came up on my FB the other day.

What do I want my tax dollars to pay for? It sure as sh!t ain't fuel subsidies for Gina Rinehart or for shiny new fighter planes, it's for services and supports that actually benefit our community.

`My beef with the budget is nothing to do with my personal wishes for my own entitlement and everything to do with what I think makes a good country. I'm happy to work- I studied hard and I work a lot harder than I studied, I love my job and earn a decent keep, own a home with my partner, have food on the table every night and have only ever been on unemployment benefits for one fortnight in my life.
    This budget is not going to change my wallet more than I can handle- it will cost me more at the fuel bowser, and probably an increase in QLD's GST, but on the other hand I will also probably be a bit better off if I happen to have a child in the next few years with the changes in maternity leave. Either way I will survive.
    I have never been one to whinge about paying tax, or my HECS fees. My problem with the budget is that the money that I have always been happy to give away from my wages is being directed in ways that make no sense to me and are throwing my moral compass way out.
    I don't want to pay subsidies for big business, while cutting money to middle class Mum's and Dad's or people trying to study to make a better life for themselves and their families. I don't want to pay more for fuel, while mining companies pay less for theirs. I don't want to pay for fighter jets while schools and hospital have to take more cuts that they can't afford. I don't want to pay for new medical research teams searching endlessly for cures when hundreds of millions of dollars have been diverted away from preventative health care that we KNOW works and other areas of science are being cut. (Why can't we fund the CSIRO anymore? Weren't they pretty good at science?).
    I am now going to have to work until I'm 70. That sucks, but fine, I work in a classroom, and at least it's likely that I will live to see that age. But let's not forget that in Australia, Indigenous men's life expectancy is less than 70 and women only likely to make it to 74. If we want Indigenous people to work until they are 70, maybe we shouldn't be cutting funding to Close the Gap Initiatives.
    I won't want to pay for chaplains in schools when I could be paying for teachers and resources. I can afford $7 to see a Doctor but I've worked with many families who couldn't. And they are going to be less able to afford to pay that if they are out of work and cant access unemployment benefits for 6 months and are living on nothing. Where do they go if they cant find work? What to they eat?
    I don't want to continue to pay for offshore detention while we cut foreign aid. I do want to pay for animal welfare (Australia's Animal Welfare Strategy hasn't been funded past July 1). I do want to pay for renewable energy (The Australia Renewable Energy Agency has also been axed). I want investment in federally funded dental care (axed). I do want human rights (commission axed). I wanted that version of the NDIS before it was watered down. I don't want to cut support for people in wheelchairs while paying to support people in suits.
    I could go on all day but my point is, the assumption that some people are making that not liking this budget means we are lazy dole bludgers is so far from the truth. I hate this budget because I love Australia and I want what is best for my nation, the environment and my fellow Australians, and I don't support he widening of the gap between the wealthy and those in poverty, which is ultimately what this budget (and my tax dollars) will do.
    Wyatt Roy said on Triple J today that this budget was about preserving `the equality of the life we all love and enjoy as Australians'. News flash buddy, not all Australians enjoy the same quality of life that the average, white, male, able-bodied, healthy, heterosexual, university educated, well-traveled politician in a fancy suit does. And no, it's not just because they have not worked hard enough (Alison Hubry)'.

I am sorry but saying that because the budget won't really impact you, you don't mind it does not cut it. This is about the Australia we want to live in and what sort of country we are happy to have our tax dollars paying to run. For me, it certainly is not this vision that I see with this new budget.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 19-05-2014 at 12:56.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (19-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (19-05-2014),shani2  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014),TableDancer  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In many ways as mentioned above.

What some people don't seem to realise is how the budget changes will without a doubt indirectly affect everyone! Eg. Younger people not having access to any kind of benefits for 6 months not only affects them but their parents or extended families, the community who then have to support them to cope and live for that 6 months (and after as youth allowance is not a lot to live on independently) etc.

I really am worried about the job situation at the moment. It's become much worse since a year ago in my experience. Yet another friend told me of her redundancy over the wknd - she is 4 months pregnant with her second child! Jobs are dropping like flies everywhere it seems and competition for new jobs is very high even for very skilled workers. It's truly scary.

That's just one example.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (19-05-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Does anyone know if HECS debt is factored in when people apply for home loans? I've been trying to find this information somewhere. Is someone who has just done a medical degree, for example, and has $100000+ of debt (at 6% p.a.) and is a few years away from actually hitting high paid doctor status, going to have trouble saving for a deposit/getting a mortgage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Does anyone know if HECS debt is factored in when people apply for home loans? I've been trying to find this information somewhere. Is someone who has just done a medical degree, for example, and has $100000+ of debt (at 6% p.a.) and is a few years away from actually hitting high paid doctor status, going to have trouble saving for a deposit/getting a mortgage?
    I would think that by providing not just your gross but a also your net income it would be indirectly factored in that way?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure it would be factored in when assessing someone for a home loan because the repayments they need to make for HECS will affect their ability to repay a home loan.

Me 39 DF 35
    DD ICSI April 2011
    DD natural November 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    Out of interest, what is the approximate starting salary for a teacher or a nurse when they are newly qualified?
    A registered nurse for Queensland health starts at $62,000 plus penalty rates (I'll have earnt $80,000 this last financial year and started 18 months ago). Also get a pretty good deal with leave entitlements and professional development incentives.

Other states start at the $57,000ish mark.

according to the education qld website teachers start off at $51,500. Don't know anything more about their entitlements.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 19-05-2014 at 13:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No hecs wasn't mentioned when doing our home loan. I guess they use your net income as hecs is taken with tax before it hits your accouny