+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also think the Medicare fee is only the beginning- that will rise over time also- we will turn into America

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (19-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (19-05-2014),ourbradybunch  (19-05-2014),ozeymumof5  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Thought this link was pretty good.
    http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...-1226916437313

If im understanding it right, We dont really loose out much even though we are a low income family. The biggest thing for us will be the family tax benefit B, but we will get the 'school age' allowance instead. Petrol prices will affect us but not much as we dont drive too much. Centerlink payments will go down but i will be earning more next year as will DH so it will work out better probably.

We dont use daycare or need the 'paid parental leave' either.

Honestly, i kind of like the cuts to centerlink payments...it means we wont have so many people 'dole bludging', it will force more people to get off their butts to work. Having said that i know single parents who arent able to work will be hit so i do feel for them.
    May your DH or yourself never lose your jobs or get injured at work. If that happens you will soon realise the impact of the budget. What if your kids are injured in a car accident and you need support services 60ks away? You will then feel the bite of the petrol prices.
    Just because they have no impact on you now, doesn't mean it never will. Anything in your life can change in a instant.
    You might also be surprised that many people who are "dole bludgers" are actually looking for jobs that don't exist. What if you are the primary carer for a severely disabled child, how are you to work and access services with little assistance from the government.
    How are our kids supposed to afford university and then buy their own homes?

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (19-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (19-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (19-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (19-05-2014),PomPoms  (19-05-2014),Purple Lily  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laydeebug View Post

How many jobs that you come out of uni qualified for pay much less than that?
    Out of interest, what is the approximate starting salary for a teacher or a nurse when they are newly qualified?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post:

Lottiemum  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    and is the starting salary different for a special needs teacher?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    Thought this link was pretty good.
    http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...-1226916437313

If im understanding it right, We dont really loose out much even though we are a low income family. The biggest thing for us will be the family tax benefit B, but we will get the 'school age' allowance instead. Petrol prices will affect us but not much as we dont drive too much. Centerlink payments will go down but i will be earning more next year as will DH so it will work out better probably.

We dont use daycare or need the 'paid parental leave' either.

Honestly, i kind of like the cuts to centerlink payments...it means we wont have so many people 'dole bludging', it will force more people to get off their butts to work. Having said that i know single parents who arent able to work will be hit so i do feel for them.
    I think it's pretty awful really, when people who are struggling are labelled as bludgers. But that's how some of the wealthy and the Liberals want people to see others.

They create an us and them mentality, and people who have partners and working full time or who are high income earners often believe it's all because they are hard workers and none of this applies to them.

There have been many a well off or comfortable person change their mind if they divorce and become a sole parent, if a spouse dies, if one of them gets a terminal illness, if they have a child with a disability, if they or their spouse get a disability, if one of them lose their jobs etc...
    No one is immune.

The amount of people who are long term unemployed is very low (usually). The amount of sole parents who don't work at all or study is very low. The majority of sole parents are divorcees in their 30s.

And of the people that are long term unemployed there are often barriers that need addressing, many have mild disabilities, some have never even received proper schooling. Some may have grown up in households where they weren't even taught basic hygiene (try going for a job against 30 people who have been taught this). I know someone who is a prison guard, and she deals with people who don't even have birth certificates, no health care cards and have never gotten any benifits, they are not even on the system. These people are so disadvantaged that when they do go into the system they need so many supports to ensure they don't go back to crime, because they don't even know how to read properly etc...

There are so many different types of people who need supports. The saddest thing is many of them are children that live in poverty. When we take from their mothers, (or fathers) we take from them, putting them further behind.

Australia is is supposed to be a fair go for everyone. Sadly we have a lot of people in this country who think everyone should look after themselves and that caring for the most disadvantaged creates "dole bludgers" when really the inequitable system we have of paying low income earners less, cutting funds to education which hits those in public schools the most, cuts to health which hits the poorest, cuts to welfare which creates an even greater imbalance, things like poor nutrition and homelessness , all of this creates a greater cycle of poverty and widens the gap.

Personally I don't want to live in a country like America. I want to live in one that is generous and ensures equity of opportunity. That doesn't stifle creativity through deregulation of universities and cuts to the sciences. One where we have free thinking people who have a real opportunity to be innovative and succeed in spite of where they came from.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-05-2014),CazHazKidz  (19-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (19-05-2014),dollypops  (19-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),Lottiemum  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (19-05-2014),OurLittleBlessing  (19-05-2014),PomPoms  (19-05-2014),Purple Lily  (19-05-2014),Renn  (19-05-2014),Tainted  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm, I saw that link just after the budget was released. To be honest, that whole attitude disgusts me.

I don't care much how it will affect ME, I care about how it will affect the most vulnerable in our society and the impact it will have on future opportunities for everyone.

According to that link, we'll lose about $200 a year. That's quite a bit of money for us, but it won't change our lives. The changes to newstart and medicare WILL change peoples' lives though.

We currently have an inquiry into the home roofing insulation scheme, as 4 people died. It's well known within medicine that preventative health care is much more effective and CHEAPER than crisis care. Increase barriers to primary health care and there WILL be people die as a result. I doubt we'll be having any inquiries though, as it's a much harder thing to directly attribute to policy.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),Laydeebugxxx  (19-05-2014),PomPoms  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    OP you neglected to mention:
    - you'll be paying more for everything due to increase in fuel levy
    - you and your partner will have to work 5 additional years before you are eligible for retirement
    - you will be paying more for every visit to the GP, script or any other interaction with a medical professional
    - your children will not get an optimal primary and secondary education opportunity
    - your children are likely to be paying considerably more for a tertiary education making it more unattainable for low income household.

Your taxes will also be subsidizing Gina Rinehart's profits.

Having a 'dole' system in place does not automatically create bludgers. People have been trying to make dodgy quick money and rorting the system since there was a system.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (19-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),OurLittleBlessing  (19-05-2014),Purple Lily  (19-05-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, sadly there will be rorters in every income bracket.

Firstly, I don't see why we should punish the honest MAJORITY for the sins of a MINORITY.

Secondly, pushing people to desperation will do nothing to discourage unsocial behaviour. When you haven't got a cent to your name, or any family to fall back on and your children are hungry... well, I imagine there would be a lot of otherwise honest people that might resort to dishonest means.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (19-05-2014),HappyBovinexx  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (19-05-2014),sockstealingpoltergeist  (19-05-2014),Stiflers Mom  (19-05-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    I will not be going to the Dr for myself anymore. I will be going to work sick and so will a lot of other ppl. My mental health will also suffer which will affect everyone around me too.
    Think of all the mental health sufferers unable to afford their meds....Australia is going to be a dangerous place. Watch out TA! lol
    My kids won't go without, but as I don't smoke or drink or gamble...all I have to give up is my mental health to allow our budget to stretch.
    This post broke my heart :-(

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),OurLittleBlessing  (19-05-2014),shani2  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    This post broke my heart :-(
    Me too

I'm so so sorry for everyone that faces these kind of decisions. This stinks.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (19-05-2014)