+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What does the budget mean for you

Thought this link was pretty good.
    http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...-1226916437313

If im understanding it right, We dont really loose out much even though we are a low income family. The biggest thing for us will be the family tax benefit B, but we will get the 'school age' allowance instead. Petrol prices will affect us but not much as we dont drive too much. Centerlink payments will go down but i will be earning more next year as will DH so it will work out better probably.

We dont use daycare or need the 'paid parental leave' either.

Honestly, i kind of like the cuts to centerlink payments...it means we wont have so many people 'dole bludging', it will force more people to get off their butts to work. Having said that i know single parents who arent able to work will be hit so i do feel for them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you serious?
    Where is the provision for creation of jobs?
    If you are going to push people off Newstart for 6 months of the year, there needs to be jobs there for them to do.

I look forward to supporting my children until they are 30 if they have trouble getting work after they have completed their studies

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),Laydeebugxxx  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Really it's a bit naive to think the budget will have no real impact on you. If you are a low income family, you have so much to be worried about.

*The increase to fuel alone will increase the costs of all goods and services.
    *The quality of education is going down the drain as funding is slashed away.
    *Only the wealthy will be able to afford a tertiary education in the future.
    *what if you or your partner suddenly end up unemployed? How will you survive without any financial support in place until you get back on your feet?

These are just a few points. The reality is unless you are a multi-millionaire, this government and subsequent budget is not in your best interest.

This budget is nothing more than a class war!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-05-2014),callmedragon22  (19-05-2014),ChickyBee  (19-05-2014),dancingchipmunk  (19-05-2014),delirium  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),Laydeebugxxx  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (19-05-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (19-05-2014),PomPoms  (19-05-2014),RobinSparkles  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Really it's a bit naive to think the budget will have no real impact on you. If you are a low income family, you have so much to be worried about.

*what if you or your partner suddenly end up unemployed? How will you survive without any financial support in place until you get back on your feet?

These are just a few points. The reality is unless you are a multi-millionaire, this government and subsequent budget is not in your best interest.

We are not a low income family but totally agree with all your points and as much as I'm lucky enough not to need any assistance it's nice to know its there if I ever did need it - I've seen many many wealthy families lose everything they own ( failed business/failed marriage/death/disease etc) so I never take anything for granted and totally have compassion for those less fortunate that us and am worried for my sons future

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (19-05-2014),HarvestMoon  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),wobbleyhorse  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

How will the budget changes result in tertiary education being only available to the rich? Is the government cutting out fee help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    How will the budget changes result in tertiary education being only available to the rich? Is the government cutting out fee help?
    How could someone with nothing afford a $200,000 hecs debt at 6% interest (or more by the time our children are of age more than 6%)?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    How could someone with nothing afford a $200,000 hecs debt at 6% interest (or more by the time our children are of age more than 6%)?

Plus how can they afford to live while studying?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maxwell's Silver Hammer For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014),Laydeebugxxx  (19-05-2014),LoveLivesHere  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, they want to remove the current caps for education costs meaning universities can charge much much higher fees. This could push fees into the 100's of thousands (depending on the course) and make it impossible for people to study unless they are from privileged backgrounds.

Currently we will be affected by the costs of the medicare co-pay and the increasing fuel costs. I most probably will also be affected by the slashes to science funding which will result in a loss of R&D funding and therefore jobs, and will make future jobs harder to come by as more and more people will be applying for the same jobs as they are let go.

I marched on Sunday because I am worried about my unborn son's future, and our ability to pay for his schooling, health and further education especially as money for education and healthcare are slashed, along with the funds being slashed in the sectors we both work in. I am genuinely very very concerned about this budget.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (19-05-2014),KaraB  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...518-38i05.html

Very interesting article about the monetary amounts certain family types will be worse off. Also noted is that these are conservative estimates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am staring down the barrel of losing everything if I somehow have to find enough money to support my adult dd living in another state. Her bills not including food is 2500 a month. So where do I find that on a moments notice. Since we are one low income family.

What about when the other 5 move out.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app