+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips/advice needed- still breastfeeding toddler few times a day

Dd is almost 16 months and I was hoping at this point we'd be down to a feed at bedtime or at worst morning and night but I'm still breast feeding around 4 times a day...
    I've tried to cut her down but now she pulls at my top whining "boob" at me.

I'm starting to get to the point where I'm fed up and I really don't want to breastfeed past 2 years! I miss my pretty bras and shirts and my feeding bras are falling to bits
    I'm not confident she will self wean in a time frame I'm happy with either.
    She won't touch cows milk but happily drinks water from a straw cup throughout the day.

Should I wean completely? I don't know what to do or how to go about it all I know is I like breastfeeding but not this often and don't want to be breastfeeding an older toddler.

I'm lost .... Help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was also hoping my DS would self wean....and I think I would still be waiting if I didn't give him a gentle push (DS is 2.7yrs).

He was the same as your DD at 16 months - feeding about 4 times a day and was very vocal about "booby", and I just didn't have the strength to put up the whining if I said no. I have now got him down to feeding just in the morning when he wakes so during the day and night I'm free to wear fabulous bras and tops! And the best thing was it actually wasn't that hard to do.

I picked an end date to stop evening feeds and for the week before DP and I talked with DS about the fact that my boobies were only going to work in the morning - that the batteries were running out (he understood the concept of batteries working and running out due to some of his toys). Each day in the lead up we would say in 3 days mummies batteries are going to run out etc...and come the end date when he asked for boobie at night I just said the batteries had run out ( I also made sure they were well encased in a high neck jumper - out of mind, out of sight). He frowned and said oh, then went off to find a book to read. He only asked once more for a night feed. I could not believe it - I thought there would be tears, tantrums etc.

He still feeds in the morning and for now that's fine. I get a nice morning cuddle with him but then get my body back for the day and night. It made all the difference to me.

Best wishes with it all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you wobbleyhorse your post is helpful and reassuring

I would prefer to keep the feed in the evening and drop the morning though as I leave for work by 6am (part time) so dd is in the habit of waking at 5ish for her morning feed (sucks on my days off!) and sometimes won't go back to sleep.

Mind you it would be nice knowing my boobs would be mine for the rest of the day/ night! And be able to drink and go out

DH has 5 days off soon so I might stop the morning/ day feeds then and get him to deal with dd in the mornings lol. Just need to be tough and consistent. I struggle to put up with the whining.

Thank god it's coming to winter so I can wear something to cover up my boobs!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 19-05-2014 at 08:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like the morning feed is definitely the one to drop for you. That's good that your DH can do the mornings... I think one reason I didn't actively wean sooner was that DP is often away/at work and, to be honest, I didn't want to be the one that had to deal with saying no all day and dealing with the fallout. I also wanted my supply to adjust slowly as I was worried about discomfort so keeping one feed going has been great for that.

Good luck :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-05-2014)