+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 19 month old behaviour issues , or not??

I have a 19 month old son that refuses to still still when we go out to eat and by that I mean RUN!! From one side of restaurant to the other climbing up to other peoples tables ect ect , he does the same in shopping centres and other public places ! When I try to stop him he throws himself on the ground and screams , distraction doesn't even work. He is similar at home but it doesn't feel as bad cause I am at home. He says a few words but not much so I'm not sure if he understands me when I tell him why he can't do these things .?is this normal behaviour for his age group or not ? I do not want to raise a naughty child !!! Any advice appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I can recall my son was the same. They are still finding themselves and their freedom. I didn't take my son out by myself at that age, because he would tantrum and run free. I wouldn't worry about it to much, but if you want a professional opinion about the development and with speech, I would get a referral to see a paediatrician, but honestly 19 months can be a nightmare, depending on each child.

⭐️DS #1 born 15.03.2010⭐️
    ⭐️DS #2 born 16.02.2014⭐️
    ⭐️Me=29 💗 DP=34⭐️

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Luminary For This Useful Post:

alex82  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was the same as a child, "spirited", DD is too. I apologise to my mum all the time now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

alex82  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes it is normal behaviour for many in this age group. DS was never a sit stiller. I used to marvel at these toddlers who sat still, I one spot! My DS was the same OP. I did not bother taking him out to dinner, lunch, even coffee, it was just too hard and not worth the effort.

But now, now he is 3 3/4 and alas I can take him out and he sits quite well at the table. It's rather pleasant! It's a miracle! So there is hope down the track OP

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

alex82  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was exactly the same. He has only recently started to sit still when we go out for tea (and he is 3) and even now it is not for long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's quite normal for that age and it's hard to expect them to sit still. I'd make sure there is a highchair available at places you eat to keep him restrained and bring along something to keep him entertained (crayons and paper, iPad) and don't stay too long.
    At shopping centres, put him in the pram or in a trolley.
    He does understand you, but he's also fighting his urges to explore...highchair, pram, trolley will help control his urge to adventure.
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 19-05-2014 at 10:28.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

alex82  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds couldn't sit still at that age. We would usually order food at a restaurant then dh would take ds for a walk while we waited for the food to arrive. After ds ate one of us again would have to take him out and take turns so the other could finish their meal. He is 3 now and is great at sitting still for meals when we go out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Tippytoes  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter is the same. We just can't eat out with her. She screams the place down if put in a chair. I can't believe it when I see other toddlers or babies sitting in high chairs. She just turned 2 and I am able to take her to the shops briefly and she will sort of stay with me instead of running away. That has taken some discipline methods though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

alex82  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son has had similar behaviour and we thought he was naughty, spirited, assertive etc etc. Its only now at 5yrs after seeing a pediatrician at request of his teacher that they're thinking he may be a high functioning child on the spectrum...
    Might be worthwhile looking into.
    Does your Ds also go a little hyper/overwhelmed when you have quite a few people over? Especially people he's not familiar with?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone that replied it has really put my mind at ease that I am not the only one !
    pinkposicle , what is high functioning child ? Not sure what you mean , sorry :-/