+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default From cot to bed experiences

Ds is 2 and people keep telling me if he tries to climb out he could really hurt himself so I should get him into a single bed now.
    I just want to hear experiences on how u went about it. Im planning on painting his room and getting a nice new single bed doona and draws. Same teddies pillows and chair just taking change table out.

I can definately see him not staying in his bed. He will just get out as soon as I walk out.. I can see it now. I know I put hom back in etc but how did this go for you? Im scared... he was a terrible sleeper until 1 and now he sleeps 12hrs so u can see how I am scared to make changes!

So any experiences good or bad please .. thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    No experience but interested in replies so bumping for you. :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We swapped dd1 to a bed at 16 mths. She never tried to get out till she was 2.5+yrs. It was easier to put her to bed as we could lay down next to her.

It was easy peasy. Dd2 is still in her cot at 23mths cos we can't quite fit a second bed in their room.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just swapped DD as she turned 2, I kept her room as similar as possible, we moved the change table out and the cot and placed the single bed (a normal ensemble with legs removed) where her cot was and a friend graciously let me borrow a bed rail, explained that baby brother needed the cot and that this was her big girl bed, we did this a few times just to make sure she understood (she doesn't talk much). She does sleep with the door shut. She never gets out of bed unless it's morning then I'll find her at the door waiting for me, I did stretch her sleep times to make sure she was tiered before bed so I wouldn't have a restless baby getting out expecially at the beginning.
    i had the same concerns OP to the point that I was considering buying a second cot for DS but I just thought what's the worse that can possibly happen? You can always go back to the cot if it's a nightmare but I was pleasently surprised at how easy the transfer was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard that having bubs in sleep sacks stop them from climbing over. With the weather getting colder maybe you could try that to give you some more time to get things organised?
    We put our boy into a toddler bed at about 12 months I think. The side-car cot thing wasn't working any more but I still wanted to breast feed him lying down, so that's why. He does get out of bed sometimes (now 1.5yrs) but he can't open the door at the moment so I just go in and put him back with a cuddle and a kiss, no fuss, no drama.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What are your thoughts, we want to move DS (15 months) out of his some time before DS2 needs it, due in October but will be in a bassinet for a few months.

Should we first take the side of the cot or go straight into the big bed? He will have a double bed but it will be downstairs whereas his nursery and our room are upstairs. Wdyt??

Oh and sorry op, just very relevant at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boy was a bit older than some of yours - we moved him into a big boy bed for his 3rd birthday. Whole new room, freshly decorated, new bed with Octonauts sheet set. He seemed so excited until it was time for him to sleep in there, then I think it was too much change for him at once and he freaked out a bit.

I then began a habit of laying in his bed with him til he fell asleep. This went in for about 2 months, then I cut it cold turkey and he's good to stay in bed maybe 85/90% at time at bed time. However he ends up in our bed at some point during the night practically every night :-/

Nothing really to helpful here, just what we've experienced

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    My boy was a bit older than some of yours - we moved him into a big boy bed for his 3rd birthday. Whole new room, freshly decorated, new bed with Octonauts sheet set. He seemed so excited until it was time for him to sleep in there, then I think it was too much change for him at once and he freaked out a bit.

I then began a habit of laying in his bed with him til he fell asleep. This went in for about 2 months, then I cut it cold turkey and he's good to stay in bed maybe 85/90% at time at bed time. However he ends up in our bed at some point during the night practically every night :-/

Nothing really to helpful here, just what we've experienced
    Thanks everyone. This is what im wondering if leaving it longer which is what o thought I would do.. would actually be worse. I thought I would be more likely ti explain its big boy bed time but then again he would be more set in his ways..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have had no issues moving any of mine into beds, and they have all been terrible sleepers in their first years.

Moved my first at 14 months, my second at about 16 months and my third at 10 months.

With my first I lay with him until he fell asleep. If he woke through the night he would just call out, same as he did in his cot, he never tried to get up.

My second she went into a room with her big brother, so she just did what he did.

My third obviously was still a baby when he went into his bed and is now nearly 12 months, but when he wakes through the night he calls out first, If I take too long to get to him he does climb out of his bed, but 99% of the time I get to him first (and then sleep in with him for the rest of the night). Through the day when he naps in his bed, when he wakes up he gets himself out of bed and comes out to join the rest of us
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 19-05-2014 at 14:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd went to a bed (not toddler bed) at 16mths as we needed the cot for #2. We out a step ($5 from Kmart) bed rail and bean bag beside the bed. Pool tubed inside the fitted sheet so she wouldn't roll out.
    She never tried to get out untill she was about 2.5. Then we cut out her day nap and she slept straight through no probs.
    ds will stay in a cot a lot longer (he's 16mths now) as we haven't got a bed for him yet and don't feel the need to move him, as he's not tried to climb and sleeps reasonably well of a night. Days are different lol
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 19-05-2014 at 14:40.